QFG4 Greatness

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

hina_calm
Peasant Status

QFG4 Greatness

#1 Post by hina_calm » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:48 pm

Remember in QFG4, while playing with the magic user, Baba Yaga teaches you a spell called hide. And when you are out in the wilderness and encounter a monster you can always cast hide and the monster wont be able to see you and will eventually go away.

Maybe anyone else has also noticed this, but the hide spell won't help you if you encounter bats. And why not? Of course, because bats can't see anyway. They detect your presence by the echo of their screams. So no matter how much you "hide", the bats will attack you.

Pretty cool huh? In my view these are the small things that combine together and make a game classic. Which QFG4 really is.

MacGyver
Royal Servant Status

#2 Post by MacGyver » Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:17 pm

I thought it was a bug :) Makes sense now.

Renodox
Defense Minister Status

#3 Post by Renodox » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:08 pm

From Wikipedia Article on Bats (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bats)
Although the eyes of most microbat species are small and poorly developed, their sense of vision is typically very good, especially at long distances, beyond the range of echolocation. It has even been discovered that some species are able to detect ultraviolet light.
Bats aren't blind.  A common misconception.

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#4 Post by Kurdt » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:04 pm

Common enough to put it in the game, though.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#5 Post by Gronagor » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:22 am

Heh. I think his point is that even if they're not blind, bats still use a number of sensing techniques including the 'sonar' way (and even ultraviolet). Still nothing wrong with it in the game.

hina_calm
Peasant Status

#6 Post by hina_calm » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:16 pm

his point

I am a girl..... "her point".

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#7 Post by Gronagor » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:08 pm

Heh. Sorry Hina, was actually refering to Renodox, but you're right: "Her AND his point."  :p

DonQuixote
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by DonQuixote » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:59 pm

You can't do anything to those bats if I remember right.  Can't hide, can't dazzle them, can't calm them.

Could be for a variety of reasons.  Perhaps it was put into consideration that bats can sense through sonar, perhaps it was a bug, perhaps it was just to avoid complications.