General Quest for Glory discussions

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

General Quest for Glory discussions

#1 Post by Brainiac » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:39 pm

I'm creating this thread for a specific purpose, but also as a means to drag out some of the generic QfG-related posting in the General Progress thread.

First specific topic - the infamy that is QfG3's point system.  It's been well established that the class-specific actions and general pursuit of Harami give points that are but should not be mutually exclusive.  However, there is also the matter of the Simbani Initiation.  To my knowledge, there's no way to outrun Yesufu during the intitiation trials, and though the game is supposed to give points for winning the entire initiation, it actually gives them for winning the footrace (or losing it honorably).  I know a few people around here have claimed to have outrun Yesufu but they haven't been able to give much in the way of background details.  Anyone else have anything to contribute (about this or any other potential points issues in QfG3)?

Any other QfG-related discussions are, of course, welcome in this thread.

greensenshi
Knight Status

#2 Post by greensenshi » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:42 pm

You've given me a project to do I suppose.  Tonight I'll play QFG3 in DosBox as a Fighter and Paladin and see if I can't come up with 500 points.

Edit: Okay, this is odd.  I just started playing the game... and I got no points for chasing Harami to the next scene.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Chasing Harami

#3 Post by Brainiac » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:54 am

greensenshi wrote:Okay, this is odd.  I just started playing the game... and I got no points for chasing Harami to the next scene.
You have to be running.  Walking won't trigger the points.

And just so you know, a Paladin is confirmed to be able to get 500 points even without "winning" the Simbani initiation.

greensenshi
Knight Status

#4 Post by greensenshi » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:06 am

Ah, okies.

What about if you start as a Fighter and become a Paladin in the game?  Can you get full points?  Is honor retroactive and you learn all the Paladin skills if you have 300 honor when you become one?

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Honor in QfG3

#5 Post by Brainiac » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:16 am

Nope.  QfG3 had a separate category called Paladin Points.  Honor builds up normally and for a character who's a Paladin from the start, Paladin Points = Current Honor - Starting Honor.  However, for a Fighter becoming a Paladin, you start earning Paladin Points at the moment of your conversion.  Unfortunately, this severely limits the amount you can build in the game as there is a minimum of honorable acts after that point in the game.

As I recall, you can typically build your Paladin Points to 10 when you convert to a Paladin in-game.  This is enough for Flaming Sword and that's it, giving you an extra 2 points.  That's not enough to offset the issue with Harami (you need 4 points - the Fighter gets one extra point overall).  Even if you could make 25 Paladin Points for Healing Hands, Paladins cannot take the Rope Bridge at the monkey village nor gain an extra 3 points for killing the Demon Worm encountered on the way to the Lost City.  That's another 8 points lost there.

Now granted, all of the above is offset by the 50 points you gain for becoming a Paladin.  However, becoming a Paladin expands your maximum score to 550, just as in QfG2.  The end result is the same as becoming a Paladin from a Thief in QfG2 - you can do it, but you can't have all the points.  Given what I know, the maximum you could have is...535.  If it IS possible to outrace Yesufu, then that would be 540.  You lose 5 points since you can't knock over the fruit AND chase Harami, 5 points for not outracing Yesufu, 5 points for not getting the rope bridge at the monkey village, and you don't get 3 extra points for killing the final Demon Worm (though you still get the 2 standard points for killing any Demon Worm, whether you're a Fighter or a Paladin).  As I said, the Fighter has an extra point in his scores and you can potentially learn Flaming Sword for another 2 points.  That leaves a net loss of fifteen points.

greensenshi
Knight Status

#6 Post by greensenshi » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:11 am

So then does a starting out Paladin have a max score of 550 or 500?  And how can you get a perfect score as a starting out Paladin, what extra points are there to make up for the 10 you don't get from Harami and the Initiation?

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Extra points

#7 Post by Brainiac » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:02 pm

Becoming a Paladin gives you the extra 50 points.  If you're already a Paladin at the start, that bonus 50 came in QfG2; thus, it does not happen again.

There are a few actions early in the game a Paladin gets points for that a Fighter does not.  Not offending Rajah and defending Rakeesh to Rajah gains 2 points each.  Pledging your honor for peace gains 5 points.  Also, you get 2 points for each Paladin ability learned, so getting all of them nets another 8 points.  In addition, the Paladin was miscoded in QfG3 to still get the points for the first time slaying any of the random monsters in the game.

So, -5 for not fruiting Harami, -5 for not outrunning Yesufu, -5 for not getting the ladder, -3 against the final Demon Worm.  +8 for Paladin skills, +5 for pledging your honor, +4 through speaking properly to Rajah, and the one extra point overall for the Fighter/Paladin pointset.

8 - 3 - 5 + 5 - 5 + 4 + 1 - 5 = 0; they offset, giving a starting Paladin 500 points.

greensenshi
Knight Status

#8 Post by greensenshi » Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:49 pm

Anyone know if it's just a random night that the guy from the peace mission shows up in QFG3?  Or if a certain event has had to happen prior to it?

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#9 Post by Gronagor » Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:17 pm

Considering QfG3 being ranked lowest by most fans, it's quite strange how it gets discussed (in depth) in the forums.

avoozl snot
Royal Servant Status

#10 Post by avoozl snot » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:40 am

^ I always loved QG3, and know a lot of other people did as well. Considering how many times I've played it, and how much enjoyable stuff there is to find, it's probably my all-time second favorite (even though 2, 4, and 5 are the tear-jerkers for me). I think it just sits at the bottom of the list with QG5 not because they're bad games, but because they seem rushed, unfinished, and too easy in a lot of ways. The combat system in 3 (and 5, for a lot of people) are largely unsatisfactory for many people - and while combat is obviously not the most important part of the games, the combat and monsters in 3 are SO easy, limited, and repetitive that I kind of just sigh every time I get stopped in the savanna.

And now, for why I came to this thread: to gush about how my boyfriend (who doesn't play QFG and probably never will) got me a framed print of this for Christmas: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... a_Yaga.jpg

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#11 Post by Boogeyman » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:45 am

Very nice. Baba Yaga actually did look like that in the original QFG1.

avoozl snot
Royal Servant Status

#12 Post by avoozl snot » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:59 am

Thanks, Boogeyman. The subject came up because she appears in an episode of Mystery Science Theater featuring a weird old Russo-Finnish movie called "Jack Frost". She isn't referred to by name in the movie, but it's obvious who she is (and confirmed by the credits).. one of the funniest episodes, imho.

There's even a guy in a hut-with-chicken-legs costume.

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#13 Post by Kurdt » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:12 pm

That's a really sweet Baba Yaga print.

greensenshi
Knight Status

#14 Post by greensenshi » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:03 am

Rawr.  *doesn't want this topic to die*

I actually have a question about QFG4.  I'm playing as a Wizard, and the domovoi comes in my room telling me I have to rescue Tanya.  But when I go to the castle and give the doll to her, then click the mouth on myself, I can't tell her about the spell.  Anyone know where I learn it or what is supposed to be done?

haradan
Knight Status

#15 Post by haradan » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:45 am

IIRC, Magda (the gypsy fortuneteller) is the one who tells you about the Staff. You should exhaust all card readings before going to the castle, as well.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Ritual of Release

#16 Post by Brainiac » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:48 pm

You also need to have spoken to Tatiana (it should be Titania) and been given the Ritual of Release.  Without it, you can't use Erana's Staff.  You may also have to deal with her once you've got the staff (if you ever try heading back to Erana's Garden), but since having the staff reactivates your Summon Staff magic, you should hopefully be able to take her and her two cronies on.

Now that that's settled, any news on QfG3's complexities?  Anyone?
Last edited by Brainiac on Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

greensenshi
Knight Status

#17 Post by greensenshi » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:57 pm

Still not settled actually.  The Fairy Queen only appeared once at the beginning of the game.  She no longer appears, at all.  Any ideas?

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

The Queen

#18 Post by Brainiac » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:55 pm

greensenshi wrote:The Fairy Queen only appeared once at the beginning of the game.  She no longer appears, at all.  Any ideas?
Did you go speak with Magda at the gypsy camp as you were advised?  I think that activates the reappearance of the faeries.

haradan
Knight Status

#19 Post by haradan » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:36 pm

Mmmmmh, this sounds like guessing, even to me, but I seem to actually recall beating Yesufu many, many years ago, like when I was just starting to play the game. In recent years, I'm always defeated.

Since I still play with my 486 which I have since 1996 (I think), the only different thing I can think of is that back when I got the game (around 93) I had a 386 computer.

Could it be a speed-related bug, which maybe was not addressed by NRS patches? Since I play with my 486, I don't use the patches, so I don't know how well they work.

Another (rare) possibility. Some games, like Sorcerian, have problems when played in certain systems, like 486. In Sorcerian, you just can't beat the game if you play it on a 486, since you get stuck in certain screens in certain missions. This is no speed related, it just happens if you play on a 486, no matter the speed.

I could try to play QFG3 with Moslo to see if I can beat Yesufu, but it would also be nice if someone with a 386 try it as well.

greensenshi
Knight Status

Re: The Queen

#20 Post by greensenshi » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:46 pm

Brainiac wrote:
Did you go speak with Magda at the gypsy camp as you were advised?  I think that activates the reappearance of the faeries.
I've spoken with Magda.  I've done all the fortune readings.  I've told her about the scary nightmare.  I've asked her about Erana, Erana's Peace, and the Destiny Spell.  The Fairy Queen will still not show up.  She's supposed to show up the screen south of Erana's Peace, right?

I can't seem to really find a quick guide to exactly WHAT needs to be done for each class.  Is there a certain order to go in?

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Re: The Queen

#21 Post by Brainiac » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:14 am

greensenshi wrote:I've spoken with Magda.  I've done all the fortune readings.  I've told her about the scary nightmare.  I've asked her about Erana, Erana's Peace, and the Destiny Spell.  The Fairy Queen will still not show up.  She's supposed to show up the screen south of Erana's Peace, right?

I can't seem to really find a quick guide to exactly WHAT needs to be done for each class.  Is there a certain order to go in?
You are going there at night, right?  The Fae don't like daylight.

Wizards HAVE to meet the fae; I think the other three don't (but I could be wrong about that).

greensenshi
Knight Status

#22 Post by greensenshi » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:22 am

Yes, I'm going at night.  Is it supposed to be a specific time of night, or does it just have to be when the moon is out?

The past times that I've played through the game as a Wizard, I didn't have this trouble too.  I'll admit it's confusing.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Fae

#23 Post by Brainiac » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:35 am

Double check your spell list and make sure you don't already have the Ritual of Release.  If you do, you already met the fae in person and apparently forgot about it.  If you don't, just keep moving forward in the game and they'll show up eventually one of these nights, I'm sure.

greensenshi
Knight Status

#24 Post by greensenshi » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:55 am

Checked, no Ritual of Release.  Sad panda.  I may just start over and see what happens.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Oddity

#25 Post by Brainiac » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:58 am

How strange.  Let me check my copy and see what I come up with.

Two possibilities do occur to me.  Have you gotten the Frost Bite spell yet?  Have you completed the Leshy's riddles up to the one dealing with the Queen yet?