The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#1501 Post by Kurdt » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:51 am

I will say straight away that most every game I've been introduced to in this next-gen world that I've even taken a pause to look at has been on the 360. The fact that it got me to even pause is a testament to its glory, seeing as how I haven't gone within sniffing distance of consoles since the N64 as they just haven't appealed to me in the slightest.

I mean, if I was really drunk at a friend's house I could spend a few minutes blowing people up and sexing hookers in GTA3 on my friend's PS2, and there were about 2 nights I spent getting my ass handed to me by my roommate in SSB Melee on the Gamecube. However, I have not had the urge to actually invest my hard-earned money (US$1000 after it's all said and done, assuming I have the self-control to NOT get Rock Band and the drum terminal like I so desperately want) in a console and its games to play on my own time away from friends in a sober mind since I got my NES when I was six.

The 360 is the only console that's done that to me since then. I think I know who the winner is as far as this particular battle of the console war goes, at least as far as I'm concerned. The 360 kicks @$$, its games kick @$$, and if I had the US$1500 (with Rock Band) to blow away on it I would do so in a heartbeat.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1502 Post by Angelus3K » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:09 am

Quest For Glory Fan wrote:it's clear we all share a fondness for gaming but money certainly curves the level of influence a game can have on you. Also I notice you said you love it most apart from your daughter but what about vamp? :evil ?
We split up in May last year. She got pregnant with another guy about 2 months after we split.

jpnuar1
Knight Status

#1503 Post by jpnuar1 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:39 am

Everyone knows that the Wii is the system to back this generation. At least for us low-income junkies who still have standard definition TVs with mono sound, with no plans (or capability) to upgrade that setup before the next generation of consoles comes out. And for the record, I'm backing the Wii60 setup (or will once I can afford another console) mainly for the gamer points and Too Human.

Heck, I've got the Wii, an extra controller and nunchuck, a classic controller, and six games for it (seven if you count Wii Sports), and the whole setup cost me the same as a PS3, without even including the cost of buying a game to play on it. Wii also has the nostalgia factor for me, since I grew up with an SNES, and I can now download several of those games on the virtual console.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#1504 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:42 am

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1505 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:55 pm

Yea, can't wait for Sam n Max on the Wii!!!

Another interesting note, there is a new LSL game coming out and is apparently going back to its adventure game roots and nothing from the last game is being brought over!! (Still no Al Lowe though).

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/846/846124p1.html

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Adventure on the Wii

#1506 Post by Brainiac » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:36 am

All of the CSI games have been ported to one system or the other, but Hard Evidence is the first one ported to the Wii (and the first pure adventure release for the system, apparently).  As was expected, Nintendo's console and handheld are indeed leading a resurgence for adventures.

jpnuar1
Knight Status

#1507 Post by jpnuar1 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:06 pm

For a bit of topic necromancy, have any of the rest of you gotten anywhere in Pokemon since a couple of pages ago? I've gotten to the Pokemon League, but am trying to get a hold of a Milotic before I go in, and while I wait for these darned Wiki bushes to grow, I don't have anything better to do than breed Feebas'es to evolve and spam this thread.

Ssssooooooo...... :rolleyes Angelus, any new progress? QFGF, did you decide to buy the game after all?

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#1508 Post by Pidgeot » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:16 pm

I'm (still) heading for badge 8 with Pearl, but I want to my Pokémon to be a higher level than they were in Diamond - when I finished the League in that one, they were right around level 50 (that's the ENDING level), and I felt that was cutting it a little TOO close. I'm planning to start the League in Pearl when I get them to level 55, but I haven't really been playing that one much recently. I should really get back to that - and Battle Revolution - but sadly, Professor Layton has put forward a puzzle which somehow prevents me from thinking about doing that.

Warning: Slight Brawl music spoiler to follow. Nothing that hasn't been posted officially by Nintendo before release, though.

On another note, I want a EU release date for Brawl, and I want to know that they won't cut or change the music for EU or US - I LOVE the soundtrack, and I've become utterly addicted to the Shaberu! DS Oryouri Navi song (preview here, use the music player at the bottom of the page).

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1509 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:51 am

I've not played much Pokemon, still around the first gym I believe!!

Been playing Advance Wars: Days of Ruin and FFIII.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Unlocking

#1510 Post by Brainiac » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:40 pm

Angelus3K wrote:Been playing Advance Wars: Days of Ruin and FFIII.
Need someone to send Mognet messages to so you can unlock Onion Knight and the other special events?

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1511 Post by Angelus3K » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:17 pm

Thanks Brainiac, but I don't think I'll be going that far, I'm on a FF Mission to play all the FFs in a row so will just be finishing the main story and jumping over to PSP to play FFIV.

I started the mission in December 2006 and only finished FFI and II on PSP (which I loved) and on and off played FFIII in 2007, was kinda busy though.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Onion Knight

#1512 Post by Brainiac » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:34 pm

Yeah, really all the unlocking is for is the Ultimate Weapons, Ultimate Dungeon, Ultimate Superboss, and Ultimate Job Class.  Of course, all of that is irrelevant if you don't want to spend the time to level up to near-maximum.

Basically, you need Mognet to:

1. Acquire the Onion Knight (which is extremely easy and can be done right after getting the first batch of Jobs).

2. Get the Ultima Weapon (you have to complete a lengthy quest for this).

3. Get Ultimate Weapons for for each Job class (but you have to have a character at Job Level 99 first)

4. Enter the Secret Dungeon and face the Iron Giant.

By doing #3 and #4, you get a card you can also send through Mognet and the receiver can use it to unlock the effects (if I send you my Red Mage Card, you can get the Crimson Vest without having a JL99 Red Mage).  I'm not sure if the Metal Card unlocks the secret dungeon or not, though.

Honestly though, I'd kind of like just having a few people to use Mognet with.  The friend who I traded messages with to unlock our sidequests doesn't have wifi at his house, so I can't really do anything with him anymore.  As such, Mognet just sits there, unused.  I don't really mind, but I think it would be nice to get some use out of the thing, you know?

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1513 Post by Angelus3K » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:32 am

Yea I mean if you still playing it then I would love to use the Mognet, it was a great idea to implement it in FFIII.

I'll get my friend code next time I boot up the ol DS.

btw Do you have to have finished FFXIII to enjoy Revenant Wings on DS?

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Wrong FF

#1514 Post by Brainiac » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:10 pm

Angelus3K wrote:btw Do you have to have finished FFXIII to enjoy Revenant Wings on DS?
Considering FFXIII isn't out yet, no. :p

However, if you're referring to FFXII, also no.  You may have a few spoilers for the ending of the game by playing RW, but overall, the only real effect XII has on RW is certain events setting up this new story.  The game gives you what crucial info from XII you need to understand RW.

You'll need to check your friend code inside Mognet.  Codes are unique to the game and system combination.  I have two different codes myself, one for FF3 and one for Phantom Hourglass, each only accessible within the game specific to the code.

Anybody else around here have a DS and FF3, looking to unlock the side quests or just chat?  Send me your friend code and I'll add you to my roster, then send you my code for you to add to your roster.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#1515 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:50 pm

I've got Phantom Hour Glass and FFIII, I'll be sure to send my codes ASAP. However after finishing everything in Assasin's Creed I bought the Hitman Trilogy so I'll be a bit preoccupied... Also I bought Harvey Birdman and Apollo Justice... Call it a hibernation binge. This way when my contract ends in march at the ski hill here and my exams are over and all my friends leave for school again I can live in my fortress of solitude for quite some time... God that was a sad sentence.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#1516 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:38 pm

God Damnit! It's getting increasingly difficult to not succumb to this. Especially with HDDVD dying and all the price cutting they've been doing. Would I be able to live with myself if I had all 3 consoles?

Broomie
The Enigma

#1517 Post by Broomie » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:21 pm

Quest For Glory Fan wrote:God Damnit! It's getting increasingly difficult to not succumb to this. Especially with HDDVD dying and all the price cutting they've been doing. Would I be able to live with myself if I had all 3 consoles?
HD DVD is officially dead. Toshiba and Microsoft cut production of their HD DVD players. Blu Ray has won the format war and with the PS3 getting some very good exclusives it would be a good opportunity to get one.

I just hate the controller for it. I've never found it comfortable and it's so light, so hopefully Dualshock 3 will be a big improvements. That's when I'll get a PS3. MGS4 does look really good but I never played the old ones so I hope there won't be too much back story.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

MGS4

#1518 Post by Brainiac » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:29 pm

Quest For Glory Fan wrote:Would I be able to live with myself if I had all 3 consoles?
You can't.  But you also can't resist.  So your only choice is to buy the bundle, then list me as you beneficiary in your will and go jump off a cliff.  I can live with all three. :p
Broomie wrote:MGS4 does look really good but I never played the old ones so I hope there won't be too much back story.
-laughs madly for five minutes straight-

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#1519 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:43 am

I hated Dual Shock 1 and 2 but I still ended up playing them all so what the hell. The 360 controller is amazing. Easily my favorite to date.. erm I mean to this particular day in history not to like... take out for sushi. MGS easily has the most complex backstory ever but even without knowing it its still playable and enjoyable. Besides You can just buy the others Also how can I resist Snake's newest Cardboard Box

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1520 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:09 pm

Broomie wrote:
Quest For Glory Fan wrote:God Damnit! It's getting increasingly difficult to not succumb to this. Especially with HDDVD dying and all the price cutting they've been doing. Would I be able to live with myself if I had all 3 consoles?
HD DVD is officially dead. Toshiba and Microsoft cut production of their HD DVD players. Blu Ray has won the format war and with the PS3 getting some very good exclusives it would be a good opportunity to get one.

I just hate the controller for it. I've never found it comfortable and it's so light, so hopefully Dualshock 3 will be a big improvements. That's when I'll get a PS3. MGS4 does look really good but I never played the old ones so I hope there won't be too much back story.
I've had a DualShock3 since Decemeber and I definetly am loving the extra weight. In comparison QFGF I absolutley hate the 360 controller and even sold my Xbox 1 because the controller was so crap, granted that was before the S type japanese pad came out but what the hell where they even thinking.

And Brooms, you could still really enjoy the gameplay of MGS4 but to really enjoy the experiance and story it's no doubt laden with, you'd need to at the very least read the story on wiki if not play the games themselves.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#1521 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:14 pm

Angelus I hated the Xbox 1 controller more than anone in the world and infact avoided the entire console because of it but the 360 one is way better and Idefinetly prefer it over Dual shock 2 or any controller ever made for that matter (not having seen a dualshock 3.) Also Brooms I found out that in MGS4 whenever a past event is referenced (and it will happen quite often as most of the characters are reocouring ones) you can hit a button that will show you the clip from the previous game. For instance Raiden comse up in a ninja suit and Snakes says "you look just like Frank/Greyfox and Olga did" it will give you the tap a button option and will show you what they looked like through cutscenes in the older ones.to be honest I don't think you'll need to wiki the older plots with this design but playing them backwards after is definetely an idea.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Mognet

#1522 Post by Brainiac » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:43 am

Any of you guys still interested in getting FF3's Mognet up and running?  I'd like to actually have a reason to keep using mine now that I've got the extras unlocked?  I know I've talked with QfGFan and Angelus about this...and I think greensenshi has the game too (you need a Mognet setup?).  Anybody else need an unlock contact or just someone to talk with so you actually have a reason to use the dang thing?

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#1523 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:17 pm

I'm pretty bogged down with my list of games in my sig especially with the addition of Crisis Core. I must say I'm pertty disspaointed with the PSP thus far even if it is graphically amazing I just havent found any worthwhile games released for it. I bought Metal Gear Portable Ops Plus thinking it was like any of the MGS releases but what I was not notified of was that THEY REMOVED THE F***ING STORYLINE! That's right. The only reason I even bought the game and half the reason for the PSP is null and void. In ohter Metal gear news.... we knew it was only a matter of time before this happened

greensenshi
Knight Status

#1524 Post by greensenshi » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:48 am

Of course it was only a matter of time.  I'm amazed that it's taken them more than 10 years to realize the potential of a Metal Gear movie though...

In other news, Brainiac did give me a Mognet for FF3, so I'm all set with that.  I'm at the endgame and just trying to beat it now.  So... much... grinding...

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#1525 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:18 am

New acquisitions:

Just need a Wii now...