For all of the patient gamers and fans

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#26 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:02 am

I wonder if the AGDS are pondering the same conundrum. wouldn't it be something if the second game was released early just to get it early with? My worst nightmare is that QFG2 looks like QFG4

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

Re: Quotes

#27 Post by Blackthorne519 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:11 am

Brainiac wrote:Shouldn't -brand new- be in quotations there too?
No, I've thought about this and I chose my quotes carefully.

The released games are new - they've been created recently.  The fact that they're games originally made by Sierra but now created by others gives "Sierra" the quotes.

Bt

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#28 Post by Klytos » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:36 am

Quest For Glory Fan wrote:I wonder if the AGDS are pondering the same conundrum. wouldn't it be something if the second game was released early just to get it early with? My worst nightmare is that QFG2 looks like QFG4
I think AGDI's biggest nightmare is that QFG2 plays like QFG4.  :D

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#29 Post by Erpy » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:52 am

Honestly, we could release QFG2 right now and it'd be more stable and playable than QFG4 already. The stuff we're tending to right now is overall much more picky than "I walk into this room in order to solve a puzzle critical to advancing the plot and the game bombs out on me with a fatal error". The "optimal path" as we called it was already playable all the way through before we entered beta stage.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#30 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:32 am

Whats the third? Come on in "Manhunter New York Remake"!!!
Nah, I head that this kick-ass version of Colonel's Bequest was going to be released.

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#31 Post by Klytos » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:53 am

Right ON!!!!

Come on Jodo, where's our game?

Lambonius
Knight Status

#32 Post by Lambonius » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:09 pm

Erpy wrote:Honestly, we could release QFG2 right now and it'd be more stable and playable than QFG4 already. The stuff we're tending to right now is overall much more picky than "I walk into this room in order to solve a puzzle critical to advancing the plot and the game bombs out on me with a fatal error". The "optimal path" as we called it was already playable all the way through before we entered beta stage.
Hilarious.

Man.  With all the trouble I go through to play QFG4, I'd probably be overjoyed even with the still-buggy beta of QFG2.  :)

Shalkar
Peasant Status

#33 Post by Shalkar » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:17 pm

Ohhhh my goodness. lol. After I read through this topic I understand 2008 is gonna be a great year. If were lucky Quest for Glory 2 VGA and Space Quest II VGA are coming out simultaneously. I can almost pee my pants   :rollin

Whats da third game? hehehe

Till nextime folks stay cool.  :hat

MacGyver
Royal Servant Status

#34 Post by MacGyver » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:03 am

I thought Space Quest 2 has been called off because the development team was not able to reach an agreement with Vivendi?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#35 Post by Erpy » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:43 am

No, that was Space Quest 7.org.

^Mo^
Peasant Status

#36 Post by ^Mo^ » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:27 pm

Erpy wrote:No, that was Space Quest 7.org.

Humm, think I still have that one in my bookmarks. Might as well take it out

MacGyver
Royal Servant Status

#37 Post by MacGyver » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:26 pm

Erpy wrote:No, that was Space Quest 7.org.
Ok I'm having a serious memory leak. Someone debug me please

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#38 Post by Erpy » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:37 pm

SQ7.org was the fan-made Space Quest sequel that was directed by Colin Davis and had a good deal of creative input from Josh Mandel. I'm not sure when it was founded, but I do remember it already being around (and in negotiation with Vivendi) in 2002. Unlike lots of other fan projects, the project remained mostly secretive about the exact progress that was being made and official material like screenshots and demos weren't very common.

Near the end of last year, news reached the community that the project was put on indefinite hold. Vivendi wouldn't allow the team to continue unless they agreed to give VU the intellectual ownership and the director had several team members who contributed on the condition that intellectual ownership were to remain with the team at all times...basically meaning he had little choice but to put the project in the freezer. That's what I've heard, at least.

Shalkar
Peasant Status

#39 Post by Shalkar » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:43 pm

Now now children let get back on track here. Lets discuss whats da third game comning out dis year? King's Quest XI perhaps ;).

By the way, I have a lil something to say about Vivendi Universal Games: The company seems to act like bullies and what not going around sticking their noses in other peoples businesses where it doesn't belone. Asking for ownership of good quality fan made projects, threatening to shut down their project if they don't agree. You know how excited I was when I thought King's Quest XI was suppose to be finished end of 06 and beggining of 07? Well it was put on hold cuz of them. Thats just flat out wrong. Not only was it placed on hold now the team may have to change the plot of the game because of the delay. :(

Well, I am done rambling about this. Nothing I can do but wait and hope for da best.

Till nextime folks stay cool  :hat

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Vivendi

#40 Post by Brainiac » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:19 pm

Vivendi shouldn't be completely reviled.  They have at least given some fan projects an official sanction and a tacit go ahead to several others.  That's more than most other companies are willing to do (looks over at LucasArts).

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#41 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:00 pm

Besides, we're the ones infringing on their property by making fangames. Vivendi pay big money for the rights to these games, and if anyone can just go and make sequels to them, then it defeats the whole purpose of owning the intellectual property in the first place.

I'd say, at worst, Vivendi are guilty of owning the rights, but not doing anything with them. Still, this is their right as the owners of the content, so the fact that they have allowed projects like TSL and our own games to go ahead for the sake of fans is definitely a good thing. They recognize that even though they themselves probably have no plans of doing anything immediate with these series', that they can still make fans happy by allowing the development to move ahead, and that this could well have mutually beneficial results for them publicity-wise too.

At the end of the day, what we were doing by remaking Sierra games was still technically illegal, and Vivendi are totally within their rights to stop such projects. To be realistic about the whole thing, there's no way any company is going to pay that kind of money to acquire the rights to intellectual property, and then have fan teams potentially try and sue them for using their work without compensation. That's why it all has to be legalized and above board, on paper.

Even if Vivendi never plans to make another King's Quest game themselves, they realize that the rights to the series are still worth a lot of money and selling them off further down the track is an option. However, if a potential purchaser of those rights sees that they have been sullied by 100 free-for-download, sub-par King's Quest fan-games which Vivendi didn't bother to fend off, then it potentially lowers the value of the entire series. By making certain fan games legal, they place themselves in a position where they're able to view and verify the content before it gets released publicly, so that they can still accept a reasonable amount of responsibility for the final product that gets released.
Last edited by Anonymous Game Creator 2 on Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#42 Post by Gronagor » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:07 pm

Yeah. Strange that Wizards haven't tried to buy the rights for these specific games.
THEY have really turned out to be bullies! Seeing what they did to Weiss and Hickman recently.

MagusRogue
Peasant Status

#43 Post by MagusRogue » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:45 pm

Please don't mention the death of Dragonlance (Again).... After what they did to Weiss, as well as pulling Ravenloft a year earlier, soley because the products are doing better than their own line (kinda have insider info, as I used to work for White Wolf), is low and petty.

I'm just glad Vivendi or whoever is in charge of Quest for Glory is letting this project go thoguh.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#44 Post by Erpy » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:14 am

You know how excited I was when I thought King's Quest XI was suppose to be finished end of 06 and beggining of 07? Well it was put on hold cuz of them. Thats just flat out wrong. Not only was it placed on hold now the team may have to change the plot of the game because of the delay.
As far as I know, they didn't have to change the plot...just the title to avoid a direct trademark infringement. (companies are generally more obliged to actively defend trademarks than copyrights) As for the release date, even TSL's project director already admitted that the delayed release date had more to do with the team setting an inaccurate deadline than with the whole fan license deal.

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#45 Post by Paladinlover » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:32 am

Honestly, we could release QFG2 right now and it'd be more stable and playable than QFG4 already. The stuff we're tending to right now is overall much more picky than "I walk into this room in order to solve a puzzle critical to advancing the plot and the game bombs out on me with a fatal error". The "optimal path" as we called it was already playable all the way through before we entered beta stage.
For all the bashing QFG 4 received on its bugs, I just want to jump in and say that it wasn't that bad. Actually, if it wasn't for Error 52, the bugs would have been neglectable and ignorable. Error 52 was, back in 1998 for me at least, just a minor annoyance since I had mastered the skill in getting past it. It was only around 1999/2000 that the error really became a problem since I got a faster and more powerful PC.

With DosBox around, that problem is gone even.

Also one thing I say in its defense is the horrific amount of bugs found in games today. I mean just look at Silent Hunter III... that game had so many bugs I could never get past the first few patrols in the game, and other games released during that time had crippling bugs that made the game a pain to play, far more than QFG 4. I said this a long time ago, but I'll say it again, during the pre-internet days, it was a lot harder to get patches out to people who needed it, so they had to be extra careful before sending a game out, but now, with high speed internet abound, they practically depend on player's complaining to find the bugs that need squashing and sometimes even for the motivation to do it.

But anyways, take your time fellas... a pristine and flawless QFG 2 will be worth the wait! :D

*mutters on to himself about 'this summer' again*

Till next time stay cool  :smokin

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#46 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:11 am

Buggiest Game I ever played was Spiderman 3 on X360. I fell through the world every couple missions and sometimes in the air I would hit water and die. In fact I never played for more than an hour and  ahalf without a fatal error and never a half hour without some kind of bug.

Chief
Knight Status

#47 Post by Chief » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:47 am

what happened with Weiss and Hickman? i have no idea.. haven't been keeping up.

Gronagor wrote:Yeah. Strange that Wizards haven't tried to buy the rights for these specific games.
THEY have really turned out to be bullies! Seeing what they did to Weiss and Hickman recently.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#48 Post by Blackthorne519 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:55 pm

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:Besides, we're the ones infringing on their property by making fangames. Vivendi pay big money for the rights to these games, and if anyone can just go and make sequels to them, then it defeats the whole purpose of owning the intellectual property in the first place.
Yeah, absoutely - there's no way to assure the quality of the name.  Though, not to yank our own cranks, I think the majority of "fan based emulator remakes (Thanks, G4) have been very good.
I'd say, at worst, Vivendi are guilty of owning the rights, but not doing anything with them. Still, this is their right as the owners of the content, so the fact that they have allowed projects like TSL and our own games to go ahead for the sake of fans is definitely a good thing.
For sure.  

Maybe in the future, they will persure more games in this series.  You never know.

Bt

MagusRogue
Peasant Status

#49 Post by MagusRogue » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:56 pm

Chief wrote:what happened with Weiss and Hickman? i have no idea.. haven't been keeping up.
The dragonlance rpg license got pulled from them during the hight of the new line.

MagusRogue
Peasant Status

#50 Post by MagusRogue » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:57 pm

BTW, what exactly is TSL? And where can I find more info about it? know thats a bit off-topic, but Im curious