Games like quest for glory?

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Rankao
Peasant Status

#76 Post by Rankao » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:35 pm

I have to agree with Pablo, They missed a key element in both games, what it was I just don't know what it is, (if some one can help me with that point, I would be glad for assistance) I mean I do like alot of elements of Oblivion and especially Morrowind, Some of the stuff I like in Oblivion likethe Assassins Guild, becoming a vampire was really cool concept. For me though, it felt like I was playing a mmorpg by myself, and that just didn't cut it for me.

AGP
Royal Servant Status

#77 Post by AGP » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:30 pm

"For me though, it felt like I was playing a mmorpg by myself, and that just didn't cut it for me."

But that's exactly what worked great for me. Feeling like I was in a legitimately big world, populated with people. And the gorgeous forests and the cool quests. And the combat was great as well. And the spells, like running on realistic water, rocked.

auxstd
Peasant Status

#78 Post by auxstd » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:17 am

Wizardry 8.

I dont think you can find it in stores and it didn't catch on enough to get them to finish Wizardry 9, but it's the only RPG that really was emmersive and fun to play since QFG. It's kind of weird to get used to at first, but when you do, it's great.

The graphics are weak but fun. It's got some adventure gamish stuff too, like you can combine items, use items on objects around you, and talk to NPCs to learn about stuff. Lots of puzzles. Really really fun. For serial.

CrazyStalker
Peasant Status

#79 Post by CrazyStalker » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:23 pm

First post! I recommend the first two Fallout games too, there are many quests that require you to think, and you can solve situations in many ways, like in the Quest for Glory games. Skill advancement is through the infamous level up/exp system, though.

Xyloc
Peasant Status

#80 Post by Xyloc » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:02 pm

Loved playing both Vampire: The Masquerade Redemption and VTM Bloodlines. The last mentioned has excellent graphics, multiple-linear gameplay and a heck of a story. More importantly, this game has a lot of "grey area" between good and evil which makes for interesting gameplay.
There are quite a few different ways to solve some puzzles, based on what  disciplines you have chosen (Disciplines ~ Spells). The flexibility of using Blood instead of Mana is amazing. Playing Bloodlines days after days made me reconsider gaming and prompted me to sell the games I could get addicted to and yes, that does include VTM: Bloodlines.

BesterP12
Peasant Status

#81 Post by BesterP12 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:28 am

VTM: Bloolines is a great game but it suffers from Troika's usual problem of being slower at programming than the publisher wanted and being forced to release a buggy game, but not given time to work on the patch.  Leaving it up to the fans to fix things.  ToEE, Arcanum, and, to the extent that some of the same people worked on it, Fallout 2 had the same issues and all of them run much better with fan patches..

Therefore you'll want not only the official patch:

http://www.vampirebloodlines.com/patch/
but one of these two unofficial fan made patches:

This one that fixes bugs and tries to rebalance the game.

or this one that just fixes the bugs.  (the only place I could find that has this patch that doesn't require registration also hosts nude mods so you'll have to either register at GS, or find it yourself.)

Again, troika made some great games, but they just got held back by not having enough time to polish them.  

Also, if you can wait, watch steam for sales on Bloodlines.  Last year they had it for $10 on halloween.[/url]

Avalokitesvara
Peasant Status

#82 Post by Avalokitesvara » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:12 pm

Quest For Glory Fan wrote:FFVII is overrated.
The "FFVII is overrated" virus still lives.
That's sad.

johnb4467
Royal Servant Status

#83 Post by johnb4467 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:13 pm

I always wanted to play through Masquerade and Bloodlines...but never got to either. Masquerade, at the time I believe, was suffering from a lot of bugs and some other problems, but it always looked like such a cool game. I remember [at the time] being blown away by the graphics. :) My only exposure to it, however, was the demo. From what I heard though, once the game "evolved" into the modern era, it wasn't quite as fun (medieval was a big draw, I think)
Bloodlines, I always wanted to play from day 1, but never had a beefy enough computer (didn't run as optimized as HL2, I remember reading). Well, if I install bootcamp, I "should" more than be able to play it on my macbook pro now. Heck, I could even pipe the video into my projector and play the bad boy. If the story is as good as I understand it to be, it likely would be a greater experience for me than even "up to date" console games like, say, call of duty 4 and gears of war -- though those actually have decent stories as well.
All of this talk of "more" games...and I haven't even OPENED Mass Effect since getting it for Christmas. Arrg. I have so many games to finish! I picked up some Xbox originals...including "Dreamfall", "Jade Empire", and "Dark Corners of the Earth" and have not even started any of them. Yikes.

Ok, I'm done ranting.  :eek

techie775
Knight Status

#84 Post by techie775 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:17 pm

I just finished Jade empire. It was okay. I was disappointed how much less there was in it than expected. I liked the KOTOR games better. I started Morrowind but I didn't get too far. Does that even have a main story or is just  a bunch of mini-quests? I'm halfway through Final Fantasy XII and am enjoying.  Mass Effect sounded interesting too.

gandri25
Peasant Status

#85 Post by gandri25 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:21 pm

Morrowind has a main story line and about a five hundred other side quests

Lambonius
Knight Status

#86 Post by Lambonius » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:44 pm

Morrowind is a tough cookie.  As it stands, it's probably one of my favorite Xbox games ever, but it took me a LONG time to really understand it.  When I first played, I just didn't get it; it seemed way TOO open, TOO unstructured.  So I put it aside and didn't touch it for a while.  Inevitably though, I went back to it, created a new character, played for a while, got bored, put it aside again.  But something kept drawing me back.  Eventually, I started to really appreciate it.  If you go into that game with an open mind and really allow yourself to get immersed in its world, it becomes utterly amazing.  I literally lost myself in that game.  It's one of those games that has to grow on you over time, and then one day you will find yourself in love with it and not able to think about anything else.  I think that's the sign of a truly great game.  The main quest itself is perhaps a touch on the bland side, but if you go out of your way to get involved with the different guilds and then the different Great House factions, it really opens up and you find yourself doing some pretty neat things.  When I finally am able to afford an Xbox360, Oblivion is going to be my first purchase.  I spent some time with that game at my girlfriend's brother-in-law's house, and it blew me away.  Anyway, not sure the point of this post, but I just wanted to chime in my two cents.

Oh yeah, and Call of Cthulhu is also a great game if you allow yourself to really get into it.

Senor Matt
Knight Status

#87 Post by Senor Matt » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:27 pm

techie775 wrote:I just finished Jade empire. It was okay. I was disappointed how much less there was in it than expected. I liked the KOTOR games better. I started Morrowind but I didn't get too far. Does that even have a main story or is just  a bunch of mini-quests? I'm halfway through Final Fantasy XII and am enjoying.  Mass Effect sounded interesting too.
Jade Empire may not have been as long as KOTOR but I thought it was great. I loved the real time fighting in the game and thought the plot was just as good as KOTOR. Mass Effect is even more epic and fantastic and it feels like you're playing a real lie action movie more than any other game I've ever played. I would highly recommend any game made by Bioware I guess.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#88 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:41 pm

Avalokitesvara wrote:
Quest For Glory Fan wrote:FFVII is overrated.
The "FFVII is overrated" virus still lives.
That's sad.
I like some of the franchise but it doesn't deserve the following it has especially compared to half the other instalments of the franchise. FFIV and VI jump to mind immediately. The thing that FFVII was missing was pace. What would have helped is a magic sytem that wasn't so full of compromise. Other than that though it was a very good game but I'll never see it as being the best game.

johnb4467
Royal Servant Status

#89 Post by johnb4467 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:22 am

man, now i'm really amped at getting going on Mass Effect...AND Jade Empire. I guess I'm forcing myself not to open them until I KNOW I have the time to burn...because KOTR I & II *ate* my life away...but oh my was it worth it!
Yes, Bioware in general are just amazing. Maybe the most rewarding RPG experiences I've had are Baldur's Gate I & II (and, ironically also mentioned in this thread, FFVII)....sooo engrossing! I just wish consoles had a multiplayer RPG like Baldur's Gate II -- the multiplayer in that game was extremely well implemented. I suppose people would say MMORPG's "are" that type of game...but I find they don't NEARLY have the story of a linear game that actually "has an ending".  ;)

Igorrr
Peasant Status

#90 Post by Igorrr » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:18 am

I'm surprized nobody mentioned the Gothic series, yet....

SirFuzzi
Peasant Status

#91 Post by SirFuzzi » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:13 am

Maybe it's been suggested, but a fan-based QFG spinoff of some sort wouldn't be terrible. A 'sidestory' or 'afterwards' of one or more of the games? All I can do is give ideas, though, don't really know any actual programmers.

There was one site I saw that had a game which looked exactly like QFG (late one night when I was, as the addict I am, searching for a QFG-clone)... could've been posted already but I'll try and find it and post it here.

EDIT: Found it. It's a freeware game. Ta-daa: A Tale of Two Kingdoms.

http://www.download-free-games.com/free ... ngdoms.htm

I'm going to try it out this weekend. Kinda pinched for time right now.

The Guy
Knight Status

#92 Post by The Guy » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:49 am

lol, not to sound mean or an ass or something, but a lot of members here know about that game. Not everyone, of course, but I am sure the majority do know about it. It is nice to see that AToTK is getting around.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#93 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:27 am

still its good to keep mention of ATOTK it's one of the largest fan games made. Although if you're looking for a QFG spinoff make sure to try Quest For Glory 4 1/2: So you thought you were a hero. It's a parody of QFG along with other Sierra titles and pop culture but it's genuinely humourous.

Mjolnir
Peasant Status

#94 Post by Mjolnir » Sat May 03, 2008 10:50 pm

Come on guys dont forget Little Big Adenture I+II awsome games. Some of the best Action/Adventure games ever.

Puzzles, Action, items that increase your skill/life and cool story fantasy world. Nice graphics too.

http://www.adventureclassicgaming.com/i ... eviews/55/

http://www.magicball.net/

Nice fan page. Has nice windows tool to LBAWIN to run first game on windows.

Yeah you guessed it im a sucker for this one  :rollin

BesterP12
Peasant Status

#95 Post by BesterP12 » Thu May 22, 2008 7:49 am

I just played something that really reminded me of Quest for Glory.  It's a little less Adventure Game than QfG was, but it is very funny and has a nice battle system with "unique" items.  (It's been compared to the Active Turn Based system used by some RPGs.  Your have to wait until your attack meter charges to attack, but if you sit there thinking with a full meter you will be hit.)

The graphics are a mix of 2D (for cutscenes and conversations) and cellshaded 3D and the game is layed out like a comic.  When you leave a screen you pass into another panel, etc.

Warning though, it is an M-Rated series. It's on Windows, Linux, Mac, and XBLA.

From the site that sells the computer versions:
http://www.playgreenhouse.com/
On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness, Episode One
On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness is an episodic RPG-adventure game series set in a deranged comic-book meets-pulp-horror 1920s universe. Armed with unconventional weaponry and witty repartee, you join forces with the Gabe and Tycho, the crime-solving team of the Startling Developments Detective Agency to make war on bizarre enemies and solve the mysteries hidden deep in the sinister heart of New Arcadia.
From the hilarious and twisted minds of Penny Arcade creators Mike "Gabe" Krahulik and Jerry "Tycho" Holkins, legendary game designer Ron Gilbert and veteran producers at Hothead Games comes a 100% authentic and hilarious Penny Arcade experience.

Alanor.
Royal Servant Status

#96 Post by Alanor. » Sat May 24, 2008 8:04 am

Quest For Glory Fan wrote:still its good to keep mention of ATOTK it's one of the largest fan games made. Although if you're looking for a QFG spinoff make sure to try Quest For Glory 4 1/2: So you thought you were a hero. It's a parody of QFG along with other Sierra titles and pop culture but it's genuinely humourous.
I never fully completed that game. The character stats screen is just a picture and dosen't change. So no point thinking about training your character. Also there is a bug at the poker/billiards table causing the game to crash on clicking it. I had a big discussion about the technical problems in QFG 4 1/2 on underdogs forums with little results. And then there is that guy who kills the girl (don't remember his name). Its almost impossible to battle this guy and win unless you cheat a lot (saving-loading). I won over him in a straight battle only once after a lot of tries and the funny thing is i died at the same time. could see both our dead bodies behind the restore, quit etc menu.

sjyeager
Peasant Status

#97 Post by sjyeager » Mon May 26, 2008 8:25 pm

Lets have the list of all the games like QFG1-5
that way people wont have to go looking through the forum
please:)

Chester
Peasant Status

#98 Post by Chester » Thu May 29, 2008 12:59 pm

I don't think we'll ever see a game like any of the
QFG series, the first and fourth episodes of this robbed me of weeks, nay months of my life, entire school holidays got lost to QFG on  3 1/4 floppys, brilliant.  I'll openly admit that I haven't played 2 or 3 yet, and am panning to remedy the 2 issue as soon as it's released :D
But there have only really been 2 games which have robbed me of as much time, both have been mentioned here already:  Elder Scrolls: Morrowind (game of the year edition) and Fallout, both are sensational...

Lands of Lore was looked pretty good as well, alas i haven't had time to play it as much as i would like yet...

Solarkid
Knight Status

#99 Post by Solarkid » Thu May 29, 2008 5:48 pm

To all fallout fans, and/or any one who wants a new game.
Arcanum, is made by the same people who did Fallout and it is Fantastic
though im probably alone on this i actually prefer it to them.

Seriously buy this game took sooo much of my time

avoozl snot
Royal Servant Status

#100 Post by avoozl snot » Fri May 30, 2008 2:26 am

Quest For Glory Fan wrote:still its good to keep mention of ATOTK it's one of the largest fan games made. Although if you're looking for a QFG spinoff make sure to try Quest For Glory 4 1/2: So you thought you were a hero. It's a parody of QFG along with other Sierra titles and pop culture but it's genuinely humourous.
I'm glad it was mentioned; I've never played ATOTK. Although I am very into QFG and am putting in a good amount of time beta testing, I stopped being into gaming and gamer (ugh, hate that label) culture quite a few years ago...in part because I don't like how people who seriously have to play and know everything about PC or video games are so competitive about everything, right down to who has played more video games.

ATOTK looks like something I'll enjoy playing when I have a rainy or sick day and am feeling nostalgic. I'm always glad to have people who enjoy my type of games suggest something, because I'm probably not going to do a lot of searching on my own.