The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

#1551 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:44 am

I just thought this might be good for this thread. Grand Theft Auto IV special edition is available to pre order with special bonuses only available for those who put it on reserve I've got mine so as Snoop Dog would say get it while it's hot get it while it's hot   :hat

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#1552 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:12 pm

Heh, been spending a lot of time on the Mii channel. Made a few characters 2 of which are SQ3 and SQ5 renditions of Roger Wilco. Fun fun.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#1553 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:49 pm

The preorder isn't really worth it for me. I've been trying to dig info up on  the LE for MGS4 available only thorugh Gamestop

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#1554 Post by Pidgeot » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:45 pm

EUROPEANS REJOICE, WE HAVE BRAWL DATE

http://nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/news/20 ... _7920.html

Short version: June 27.

Also in those news, Nintendo Channel (demos) launches May 30th, and WiiWare May 20th.

MusicallyInspired

#1555 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:59 pm

Right on, guys!

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#1556 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:06 am

I went to EB yesterday against my better judgement and saw a trade in event they had and took advantage of it. I traded in Halo 2 (Xbox) Amped 3 (360) and Smash brothers Melee(GC) and got GTAIV for free. I also had Harvey Birdman though that I had just finished which was worth 20 bucks so I ended up getting the special edition completely free. The neat part is that I bought Halo 2 for 9 bucks and it traded in for 24. Had I known at the time I would have just bought 3 copies of Halo 2 and gotten GTAiv for 27 dollars. I hated Amped 3 so I didn't mind seeing that one go but I guess now I have to buy brawl as well.

What was strange though was I saw Harvey Birdman for PS2 at 20 bucks new. I checked for Wii and it was also 20 new. How can they afford to give me 20 if they're going to sell it for less? it doesn't seem like a very good business model

Lambonius
Knight Status

#1557 Post by Lambonius » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:45 am

Quest For Glory Fan wrote: What was strange though was I saw Harvey Birdman for PS2 at 20 bucks new. I checked for Wii and it was also 20 new. How can they afford to give me 20 if they're going to sell it for less? it doesn't seem like a very good business model
That's not all that surpising.  I've found that EB/Gamestop's trade-in policies are really hit or miss.  The prices tend to fluctuate wildly depending on the demand for specific games, which might be alright, except that the chances of getting screwed seem to vastly outnumber the chances of getting a good deal, so kudos to you.  :)

PS:  How the hell is GTAIV?!  Amazing?!  Tell us, tell us!!  ;)

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#1558 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:48 pm

I don't have it yet, doesn't come out til Tuesday so I'm picking it up at midnight.

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

#1559 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:16 pm

Yea  I might not get mine cause I won't have the money and what
                               >: SUCKS  >:
 is the fact that I already put $10 down on it but they have a policy that they      only keep new games for 48 hours after they arrive and I only need one extra day to get the money.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1560 Post by Angelus3K » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:28 am

It's official, GTA IV is amazing!!

Not played much of the single player but my flat mate who is my cousin has a PS3 in his room so we bought 2 copies and have been playing online multiplayer!

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#1561 Post by Boogeyman » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:03 am

More like overrated garbage.

Broomie
The Enigma

#1562 Post by Broomie » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:36 am

Boogeyman wrote:More like overrated garbage.
Are you able to rephrase that so it's stated as more your opinion rather than stating a world loved franchise is 'garbage'? Or better keep it to yourself if you can't do that?  I happen to find the GTA series one of the most compelling computer games ever made, much more story and depth to it than any adventure game I've ever played. (although it still doesn't come close to Grim Fandango) So what if the game contains explicit material and is controversial? Realism is controversial, this game is just a satire of that. Not all games must be about fantasy wizards and curses. I found KQ7 to be the weakest of the KQ series but I don't tell people that like it's fact like you just did as it upsets them and shows your ignorance towards other people.

And to top that, I've just bought GTA4 and so far I'm extremely impressed. The amount of depth and attention to detail they've added has surpassed my expectations and I'm only a few hours in. I can see this becoming one of the best games I've ever played. Can't wait to try the multiplayer as well.

MusicallyInspired

#1563 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:38 pm

I've heard from many people that GTA4 is overrated and exactly like GTA3.

Not that I care as the series is uninteresting to me.
Last edited by MusicallyInspired on Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1564 Post by Angelus3K » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:44 pm

I wouldnt of said GTA4 was like any of the other GTA's, its on a totally different level in all aspects of gameplay.

The thing that stands out the most is the use of the Euphoria physics engine, its just binds the game together, its brilliant.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#1565 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:39 pm

I bought the game at Midnight adn just stopped playing it now. Superb game and I love everything about it. They pretty much scrapped everything taht was GTA before and redid it. So far the only simmilarity I've seen is Lazlow the DJ andthe poolhall is called 8-Ball. The first half hour I was playing (12-1230am) I was just walking around playing with the pysics engine. I wouldn't be dissapointed if every game that came out in the next decade was Grand Theft Auto: Some other locale.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1566 Post by Angelus3K » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:16 pm

Went to Portugal with my mates last week (had a brilliant time) and took my PSP with me for the plane and sunbathing by the pool, I put SCUMMVM and DoTT on it and although I've played it many times it just amazes me how good it still is!!!

Replaying Sam n Max now ;)

greensenshi
Knight Status

#1567 Post by greensenshi » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:30 pm

I need to get a PSP eventually.  They've gotten cheaper now, right?  But will the new firmware installed let me play things like emulated games on it?

I'm eagerly awaiting Dragon Quest 4 for the DS too.  :D

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1568 Post by Angelus3K » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:34 pm

No, you'll need to install an unoffical firmware or wait till the newest firmware is hacked so you can downgrade to a lower firmware and install the custom one.

MusicallyInspired

#1569 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:58 pm

Speaking of hacks and firmware, Nintendo updated their Wii menu to version 3.3 which removes the Twilight Hack that everyone's been using to put homebrew on the Wii (like ScummVM). I didn't even get a chance to try it and I had already updated without knowing :(. They claimed it would prevent potential game corruption when using unauthorized save files (which is how the Twilight Hack works). And that's the only update there was in the whole thing, besides a very small and worthless Mii Channel update.

I hear there's a workaround being made, though...

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1570 Post by Angelus3K » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:22 am

Yea I was gonna say MI, "Bushing" who created the Twilight Hack has already made a work around and will be releasing it soon.

I've not tried the Wii ScummVM yet but am I right in thinking the pointer isnt support yet as a mouse, you just use the analoug stick to control the pointer?

Broomie
The Enigma

#1571 Post by Broomie » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:57 pm

Angelus3K wrote:Yea I was gonna say MI, "Bushing" who created the Twilight Hack has already made a work around and will be releasing it soon.

I've not tried the Wii ScummVM yet but am I right in thinking the pointer isnt support yet as a mouse, you just use the analoug stick to control the pointer?
I think it's just the Gamecube port if I'm not mistaken. ScummVM developers are trying to obtain the Wii SDK which allows them to add the Wiimote point and click features.

I have ScummVM running on my iPhone though and it works out great on that. I really want to get COMI running on it but I can't find the game anywhere. :(

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1572 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:31 am

Yea I think your right Brooms, its the GC version but running in Wii mode, but as you say they need the Wiimote libaries to implement that.

COMI not on eBay or anything?

Broomie
The Enigma

#1573 Post by Broomie » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:59 am

Angelus3K wrote:Yea I think your right Brooms, its the GC version but running in Wii mode, but as you say they need the Wiimote libaries to implement that.

Oh I meant in my house. I think I may have lended it to my cousin who gone to Turkey for the summer which is very annoying but I can't be so sure. Wait tilll he gets back and have a check. I love that game.

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

#1574 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:49 am

Has anyone here played Izuna for DS. If so Izuna 2 is on its way and it looks awesome if you haven't look up Ebay and find the first Izuna. Trust me if you want a dungeon RPG  it's way better than Pokemon Mystery Dungeon.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#1575 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:38 am

Broomie wrote:
Angelus3K wrote:Yea I think your right Brooms, its the GC version but running in Wii mode, but as you say they need the Wiimote libaries to implement that.

Oh I meant in my house. I think I may have lended it to my cousin who gone to Turkey for the summer which is very annoying but I can't be so sure. Wait tilll he gets back and have a check. I love that game.
I'm having the exact same problem, My COMI has been missing for years now and I look every other month for it. Going back to what Angelus was discussing for his PSP I tried to get my firmware downgraded but decided that I wasn't 100% on what I was doing (Was learning it from Youtube Videos) and didn't want to brick my PSP which would be a no no.

To add relevance to this thread I've recently bought Ac!d (I know, it's old) only to find it's surprisingly good even if it is in need of a codec skip button. after about 15 minutes though any true MGS fan will realise the story line is completely non cannon which is kinda why I buy them

in my newest "retro gaming" news (It's weird to put the word newest in front of the word retro) I've recently started replaying Final Fantasy X which also needs a skip button terribly and Gabriel Knight 1 Thanks to the folks at Gabriel2k.tk So far it's only crashed on me once.