The Non-QFG Thread

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

The Non-QFG Thread

#1 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:20 pm

Since I haven't played the QFG series (besides the first one and a little of the second) I can't really contribute to the bevy of QFG threads that have cropped up lately. So:

King's Quest, that was a neat series, huh? Or how about Police Quest! That was a cool series. I played all of them straight through to 3 once (1 remake included). I thought PQ2 was the easiest but PQ3 competes with it for best soundtrack.

Discuss all non-QFG game topics here so I don't feel so alone :).

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Games

#2 Post by Brainiac » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:17 pm

You should specify your limits a little better than just "not QfG."  I could start talking about just about any game here.

How about some of the more modern adventure games?  Anybody here played any of the recent literary mystery adaptations (like AWE Games' Agatha Christie titles or Frogwares' Sherlock Holmes games)?

MusicallyInspired

#3 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:19 pm

Basically any game that isn't QFG-related (or even like QFG, there's a thread for that already) is cool.

CrazyStalker
Peasant Status

#4 Post by CrazyStalker » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:49 pm

Anyone here has played the recently released Zak McKracken fan sequel? (Zak McKracken Between Space and Time)

MusicallyInspired

#5 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:47 pm

Not yet. I heard it was German-only, though. Is there an English version?

CrazyStalker
Peasant Status

#6 Post by CrazyStalker » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:51 pm

I don't know, I'm still downloading it... I understand some german words, though.

greensenshi
Knight Status

#7 Post by greensenshi » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:39 pm

The last modern adventure game I played was The Longest Journey.  That game was amazing to me.  Compelling story, pretty good voice acting.  I loved it.

MusicallyInspired

#8 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:45 pm

I have The Longest Journey but I haven't played through it yet. I got a little far but with formats and everything I lost my save files. My wife started it as well. Maybe we should both start over and play it together. That would be nice.

We tried playing Syberia together but I couldn't stand it. Way too boring for me. So she played it herself and beat both games. She enjoyed it. She then went on to play Maniac Mansion for the first time and beat that too (which is embarrassing because I've never tried to beat that game yet).

greensenshi
Knight Status

#9 Post by greensenshi » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:01 pm

Oh, it's not exactly a typical adventure game.  It's more action-adventure, like the Legend of Zelda.  A Japanese fan made game called La-Mulana.  I'm currently playing that, and it's a lot of fun.

MusicallyInspired

#10 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:23 pm

The Longest Journey? Really? I kind of thought Dreamfall was like that but I heard The Longest Journey was straight adventure. Old-school classic adventure actually.

Akril
Royal Servant Status

#11 Post by Akril » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:58 pm

I played the vastly underrated traditional adventure game Toonstruck a while back and liked it a lot. It's been a long time since I've enjoyed an adventure game this much.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

TLJ

#12 Post by Brainiac » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:59 pm

I think he meant the game he's playing, La-Mulana, is action-adventure; TLJ is about as straight adventure as you can get.

As to ZM:BSaT, as far as I know, the version released last week is indeed only in German.  My knowledge of the language is rather lacking, so I'll pass.

MusicallyInspired

#13 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:58 pm

Probably just as well, I haven't beaten the first Zak yet. Or Lucasfan's sequel either.

Toonstruck, eh? I'll have to check it out.

greensenshi
Knight Status

Re: TLJ

#14 Post by greensenshi » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:22 pm

Brainiac wrote:I think he meant the game he's playing, La-Mulana, is action-adventure; TLJ is about as straight adventure as you can get.
Yea, that's what I meant.  Sorry for the confusion.

I never beat the first Zak too.  And I know no German, so sad panda for me.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#15 Post by Blackthorne519 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:31 am

I freakin love POLICE QUEST, the original AGI version.  I actually haven't played the VGA version.

I was enamored with how you really had to follow all the procedure correctly.  Details were the name of the game.

It's been so long since I played PQ2, though, I don't remember much about it.

Bt

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#16 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:33 pm

I played through the Police Quest Trilogy when the "XP" compilations came out and started on IV but it's started crashing on me unexpectedly so I shlefed it. what I DID start recently was Indiana Jones and the fate of atlantis. It's surprisingly good. It look s really simmilar to Monkey 2 but has voices. Most recent adventure game Iplayed was Harvey Birdman which was funny but not a whole lot like other puzzle games (except Phoenix Wright). This reminds me that I still have to beat the last couple cases in Apollo Justice... But GTA IV comes out soon so I'm not ready to get commited to anything.

Broomie
The Enigma

#17 Post by Broomie » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:44 pm

A thread that isn't related to QFG... I never thought I'd see the day. Can the mods just create a sticky thread titled QFG problems? Or even a forum seeing as there are so many topics about it. :p

I just played Simon the Sorcerer 2 again the other day, I forgot how funny and great that game is. Pity the new one will probably suck, they've given Simon an American voice. Blasphemy to it's highest point.

MusicallyInspired

#18 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:58 pm

Fate of Atlantis is bloody amazing. Definitely a worthy story for the good Indy name. And it's got something for everyone with the 3 different paths you can take. Just amazing. I still haven't beaten Last Crusade. Well, I have. But I haven't gotten to the end on my own yet. Working on it, though.

I would like to see more police-oriented adventure games of some kind, though. Even if it's not all about the procedures and all that. A cool detective game or something would be awesome.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#19 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:19 pm

*chants* Phoenix Wright

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Vocals

#20 Post by Brainiac » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:48 pm

Broomie wrote:Can the mods just create a sticky thread titled QFG problems?
Why do you think I made that "General QfG Discussion" thread a while back? :D
Broomie wrote:Pity the new one will probably suck, they've given Simon an American voice. Blasphemy to it's highest point.
Indeed.  Unless the American can do a fair imitation of Daniel Radcliffe. :p

JWar
Knight Status

#21 Post by JWar » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:01 pm

For those who liked the Police Quest series and are still looking for that same thrill I'd like to recommend two titles:

1. Blue Force, a PQ-like game backed by the same man who backed the first three PQ editions.
2. Still Life.

MusicallyInspired

#22 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:15 pm

I've never played a Simon game. I've looked hard but always turned up empty.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#23 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:27 pm

Simon 1 and 2 are probably the best British made point and click games apart from Broken Sword 1 and 2.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#24 Post by Blackthorne519 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:51 pm

I love Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.  I was playing the other day.  Just a great, entertaining game.

I've played BLUE FORCE, by Jim Walls (The creator of Police Quest) but I didn't get very far.  I should keep going - I enjoyed it.

Oh, man, the other Jim Walls Sierra Game, CODENAME: ICEMAN - never could get into it.  I got to the Submarine Simulator and it just sucked hard.

In fact, I wanna remake it in VGA and re-write the storyline, which is a little out of date now.  I mean, it takes place in 2004 and it has Soviet villain!  Also, I'd change the sub-simulation stuff.  But that is just pure dreaming, cause I sure as hell am not doing that anytime soon.

Bt

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#25 Post by Vildern » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:20 pm

Angelus3K wrote:Simon 1 and 2 are probably the best British made point and click games apart from Broken Sword 1 and 2.
Dig those  :) Simon 1 was the first adventure game I owned, played, and beaten. Felt like a god that evening I finished it. Still do  :p