Quest for Glory V - Heroes Add-On

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Jamy
Peasant Status

#1 Post by Jamy » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:14 am

This add-on adds new content for Elsa and Magnum.

Something to help pass the time till the release of the Quest for Glory II remake.

[link removed]

Broomie
The Enigma

#2 Post by Broomie » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:39 am

I don't think just linking a zip file is enough to make me download new content. Do you have any information about this addon?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#3 Post by Erpy » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:34 am

Ditto. The zip file merely contains a txt-file that has no actual info whatsoever and an exe-file, that might contain some extremely cool QFG-related content or might open several backdoors on my system.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#4 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:21 pm

I've removed the link from the post, pending further explanation by the OP about what this file does, who made it, and whether there's an 'official' place this can be downloaded.

Coming from a new user and with no description whatsoever, this seems a bit suspicious to me.

Kloreep
Knight Status

#5 Post by Kloreep » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:22 pm

I believe I recognize the name Jamy from an old QFG5 site, but the name could just as well have been appropriated. Probably best to remove the link pending an actual explanation.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Elsa and Magnum

#6 Post by Brainiac » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:43 pm

Presuming he's talking about the old Elsa and Magnum patches/saved games, my post in another thread contains links to them as well.

Jamy
Peasant Status

#7 Post by Jamy » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:56 am

Thanks for the Mordavian welcome.  ;)

This add-on uses new Elsa and Magnum saved games, updates the verbal dialogue (not the written dialogue), and allows the game to be played from beginning to end.

AGP
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by AGP » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:02 pm

I say we get Erpy to give it a shot, then tell us all about it. If it works, give us the link back. :-)

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#9 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:24 pm

If you read Braniac's post AGP there's already a link on this website.

Jamy
Peasant Status

#10 Post by Jamy » Thu May 01, 2008 12:17 am

Brainiac's first link in that other thread now correctly points to the add-on just released this week.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Links

#11 Post by Brainiac » Thu May 01, 2008 3:18 am

I take it you're that Jamy then. :p

Welcome to the party, in case no one greeted you yet.

Thyme in Lost
Peasant Status

Re: Links

#12 Post by Thyme in Lost » Thu May 01, 2008 6:21 am

Brainiac wrote:I take it you're that Jamy then. :p

Welcome to the party, in case no one greeted you yet.
Jamy was give a Mordavian welcome.     ;)

Jamy
Peasant Status

#13 Post by Jamy » Fri May 02, 2008 12:34 am

With all the malicious software out there, I understand the suspicion.  So can those who have used the Heroes add-on verify here that it indeed has new content?  Even if you haven't finished the game yet, it would be good to hear.  Otherwise, I fear suspicion remains (or the add-on isn't working).

There is now a video sample of Elsa von Spielburg and the cloud guardian available at Brainiac's first link in that other thread.

Joseph Howse
Peasant Status

#14 Post by Joseph Howse » Sun May 04, 2008 7:09 pm

I've downloaded Jamy's add-on and in the brief testing I've done so far it seems to work as announced.

The download consists of an .exe that boots QFGV in different modes depending on which hero (Prince of Shapeir, Elsa, or Magnum) you want to play.  QFGV must be installed in the default directory (C:\Sierra\QFG5) for the add-on to work.  When starting the .exe, you can also access info on known limitations of the add-on.

I haven't played any other QFGV add-ons so I can't compare features among them.

For this add-on, the updates to the verbal dialogue seem to consist of cutting and splicing of elements of the original verbal dialogue.  This way, for example, Toro says "Elsa" instead of "Hero Man," and Pholus says right away to Magnum Opus, "I've got my bet on you for the next King."

Hope this information helps.

Sincerely,

Joseph

P.S. I realize I'm also newly registered on these forums, so I'll introduce myself.  I'm an editor for an online speculative fiction magazine, writer for an adventure game review site, and freelancer for several other publications and companies.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#15 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun May 04, 2008 8:50 pm

Welcome Joseph, thanks for giving s the 411 on the mod, it actually appeals to me more now,.

MacGyver
Royal Servant Status

#16 Post by MacGyver » Sun May 11, 2008 7:57 pm

Hi Jamy. Can you PM me the link? I presume this is some additional stuffs to the save game for Magnum and Else which I already have. Thanks!

Edit : Thanks Jamy. Got the link.

Mantle7
Peasant Status

#17 Post by Mantle7 » Tue May 13, 2008 1:13 am

Can I please have the link PMed to me as well?  Also maybe some instructions on how to use it and install properly

adeyke

#18 Post by adeyke » Tue May 13, 2008 8:26 am

I remember once making a Bruno save game.

I can't get QfG5 to run at all on this computer, though.  It's worse than QfG4 in that respect.

Ghost_Rider
Knight Status

#19 Post by Ghost_Rider » Tue May 13, 2008 4:05 pm

adeyke wrote:I can't get QfG5 to run at all on this computer, though.  It's worse than QfG4 in that respect.
Indeed.  QfG5 is a challenge to get running on newer machines with newer Operating Systems.

I had to play with the compatibility mode settings for a while until I found the right combination.  I'm running a P4 with WinXP SP2 and SoundBlaster Live card.  At first it would not run at all.  Eventually I got it to start up but the sound was all "choppy".

Here's the combination I used to get it working with the sound and everything being as good as it was back on my old P2 with Win95:

1) Run in Compatibility mode for:  Windows 2000  
(Seems silly since I have WinXP, and the game is made for Win95... but this Win2000 setting works best for me)

2) Run in 640 x 480 screen resolution

You may also want to try "Run in 256 Colours" but I did not need to use this option.

Kloreep
Knight Status

#20 Post by Kloreep » Tue May 13, 2008 7:23 pm

Also, you can try a compatibility patch at the bottom of this page:

http://tawmis.com/collector/Patches-Upd ... dates.html

Works for me - or at least it worked for me in the past, and on my current machine it does makes the menus & game run fine for at least the little while I tested it; I haven't played a full game yet.

avoozl snot
Royal Servant Status

#21 Post by avoozl snot » Tue May 13, 2008 7:51 pm

adeyke wrote:I remember once making a Bruno save game.
I remember this, too. I recall the game crashed if you tried to leave the city, though. Glad it's not just some feverish dream of mine, because I haven't seen the saved game anywhere in years and years.

Jamy
Peasant Status

#22 Post by Jamy » Wed May 14, 2008 12:29 am

Since a few have asked for a more direct link to the add-on, it's available via my "profile" and "www" buttons.

Regarding issues getting QFG 5 to run, I was able to using "Windows 98 / Windows Me" compatability mode.  To get the Introduction to play and to get passed the Minos crash, I also uninstalled QuickTime and downgraded to the QuickTime that comes on the QFG 5 CD.  Though, like Ghost_Rider said, it can take a while to find the right combination that works on your computer.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#23 Post by Erpy » Wed May 14, 2008 4:29 am

True. For me, it worked by not entering any compatibility mode and simply run the game with the win2k-patch in XP along with the latest quicktime.

keronian
Peasant Status

#24 Post by keronian » Wed May 14, 2008 6:58 pm

Alternately: you could do what I did... Run it in a Virtual Machine actually RUNNING Windows 98.  Works flawlessly.

Alanor.
Royal Servant Status

#25 Post by Alanor. » Tue May 27, 2008 1:02 pm

Are there going to any updated versions to this Heroes Add-On. To make the game play experience as Elsa or Magnum better.

Like i saw in a youtube video, as Elsa you have to point the whole arrows bag to shoot arrows at an enemy. Instead a single arrow cursor would be much better. other than that more improved dialogues etc. I guess changing the story while playing as elsa or magnum isn't possible is it. The vivendi company might object to that even if some QFG 5 fan gamecreator wants to make elsa, magnum story and ending in sync with the actual QFG 5 character prince of shapier.