Progress Update Thread (formerly known as quest for glory 2)

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Allergic to Katta
Peasant Status

#401 Post by Allergic to Katta » Tue May 20, 2008 6:54 pm

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:... he expects that we should still be able to release the game according to our currently anticipated schedule.
Ooo...  you said "currently anticipated schedule".  So there is an actual "anticipated" date put on this yet? :D

Sorry, have to ask.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#402 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Tue May 20, 2008 7:01 pm

There always has been an anticipated time of release, but for obvious reasons we won't be announcing it publicly unless we're sure that we can make it.

Setbacks and bugs can always occur, even at the eleventh hour, so we'll only be announcing this once we have the official word from Vivendi and are also comfortable that all known bugs have been dealt with.

Damisha
Peasant Status

#403 Post by Damisha » Thu May 22, 2008 3:41 am

Please excuse my previous renegade 'off-topic' postings regarding the dubious exploits of SAG and other aforementioned cults.  I humbly ask for forgiveness as I offer reassurance that I will be duly punished for my actions.  I do understand that the penalty for such treasonous acts is "micturition by tickling" and I am currently searching for someone with experience in that area to carry out my sentence.  I would like to enlist the help of the thieves guild but am weary of all of the red tape BS they are making me go through just to be able to use one of their members.  (they even tried to bully me into paying some kind of royalty for placing my thumb upon my nose with my hand held perpendicular to my face, and the fingers outspread. Then wiggling my fingers while focusing my eyes upon my thumb and patting my belly with my free hand).  So, I doubt if I will ever come to a satisfactory resolution.  Rest assured though, that no matter the outcome, I am truly sorry and will try somewhat hard to not let it happen again.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#404 Post by Gronagor » Thu May 22, 2008 6:39 am

Heh.

I take it you're referring to Calvert666's outburst. Please ignore him... no clue who he is and where he fell out. I find the conversation very interesting.

Sounds to me this SAG is typical to any trade union out there. The unions sounds good on paper, but at the end of the day they're all about making money for themselves and for the top guys (usually related to themselves in some way). The rest of their members bear no importance to them... even if they do say otherwise on payday.

Vaye
Peasant Status

#405 Post by Vaye » Thu May 22, 2008 7:54 pm

Thanks AGDI, I loved the QFG1 remake, but when I found out there was no QFG2 remake, I didn't even bother playing 3 4 and 5.

But now, you guys are remaking it, I am so excited! I started playing QFG1 remake again and I hope the game will come out this summer! =D

Good luck on the bugs! Thanks so much!

Alanor.
Royal Servant Status

#406 Post by Alanor. » Thu May 22, 2008 8:14 pm

Quest for Glory 4 and 5 are the best of the games in QFG series (although 5 is quite different in interface and more difficult story/strategywise) Only you will have to play QFG 3 to understand the whole plot because 4 & 5 are kindof like a sequel to QFG 3 ending.

Allergic to Katta
Peasant Status

#407 Post by Allergic to Katta » Thu May 22, 2008 8:17 pm

Oh come on bud :) you HAFTA play the original.  I think a lot of the fun will be seeing how things are actually "remade".  Maybe you'll go back and try the original after you beat the remake?

It's good that this will drive you to play all of them though.  Best series ever.

BesterP12
Peasant Status

#408 Post by BesterP12 » Thu May 22, 2008 8:34 pm

Allergic to Katta wrote:Oh come on bud :) you HAFTA play the original.  I think a lot of the fun will be seeing how things are actually "remade".  Maybe you'll go back and try the original after you beat the remake?

It's good that this will drive you to play all of them though.  Best series ever.
Some people dont' work well with parser systems since they've never had to use them*.  I have Winfrotz TTS installed right now and still pull up an old Infocom game once in a while.  However, sometimes I get annoyed trying to find the right wording.  Others can't play anything under 8-bit color.  I know a few people who will be more likely to play through the whole series now that they'll all be PnC/VGA games.

*Although if all of these companies keep switching to voice prompts for their automated phone systems, they might wish they had those skills.  "Please state the reason for your call?"...

Calvert666
Peasant Status

Before the slander/libel begins...

#409 Post by Calvert666 » Thu May 22, 2008 11:15 pm

I'm sorry my anger was misconstrued. I was just furious at the time because the involvement of such a topic as UNIONS and Voice Packs have become pointless when the AGDI team said that adding voices to the upcoming remake would be pointless at the moment. I, in turn, stopped talking about it because I took their word as a sign to 'drop it'. The continued discussion of SAG angered me because I didn't think that anyone else 'important' took the alleged hint. Sorry for being pissed off but that's how I saw it.

And btw, tell the self-important saurus salesman which end of the saurus he can kiss, and its not the one that goes 'GRONK!'

avoozl snot
Royal Servant Status

#410 Post by avoozl snot » Fri May 23, 2008 12:17 am

Calvert666.. you've chosen the most mellow and civil message board I've ever seen in the 12 years I've been using message boards to be angry about a non-threatening post on a message board. There are an almost infinite number of places to be tough on the internets, but what you're doing is akin to screaming and dropping your pants in Erana's Peace. Or knocking over Salim Naf's hookah without provocation. Chill, man.

Calvert666
Peasant Status

#411 Post by Calvert666 » Fri May 23, 2008 2:50 am

What you're doing is akin to screaming and dropping your pants in Erana's Peace. Or knocking over Salim Naf's hookah without provocation. Chill, man.
I'll chill, but I'd appreciate it if people wouldn't make fun of me for having a strong opinion.

I love these games as much as the rest of you guys, but I still have my own thought on this too.

avoozl snot
Royal Servant Status

#412 Post by avoozl snot » Fri May 23, 2008 2:59 am

Thought i'd use an allusion we'd all get, y'know?

As far as the non-issue of the voice pack goes, I wouldn't want to see one, anyway. I think a lot of people have an idea by now of how the characters 'sound' in their heads, and besides the enormous workload the project would add, it would just be impossible to please everyone (or even most people). There are always many people disappointed when a book becomes a movie because the characters aren't what they'd imagined.

It's different with a game like QFG4 or 5 when the voices are a part of the game from the beginning. In the case of QFG2, I'm happy to have the updated graphics and let my imagination fill in the voices as before. There will probably be more than enough fans getting worked up over how Dinarzad (or whoever) looks compared to how they pictured her.

Vaye
Peasant Status

#413 Post by Vaye » Fri May 23, 2008 4:53 am

Yea, I just can't stand trying to find the right words to enjoy a game, seems like homework rather, i enjoy other 8 bit games. Anyone know if I can export QFG1 character to QFQ3?

avoozl snot
Royal Servant Status

#414 Post by avoozl snot » Fri May 23, 2008 5:18 am

Vaye wrote:Anyone know if I can export QFG1 character to QFQ3?
You can.

Groveborn1234
Peasant Status

#415 Post by Groveborn1234 » Fri May 23, 2008 5:20 am

You can export from any game to any game ahead in the series. 1 to 2, 1 to 3, 2 to 5, however you like.  Just can't go backwards.

greensenshi
Knight Status

#416 Post by greensenshi » Fri May 23, 2008 12:38 pm

I think that the text parser for QFG2 was rather lenient.  It understood many synonyms, and my first real playthrough(when I was 16 or so) I wasn't too terribly frustrated by the game's lack of understanding stuff.  It was one of the last text parser games released by Sierra, so I'd say it's pretty good.

techie775
Knight Status

#417 Post by techie775 » Fri May 23, 2008 1:51 pm

I thought the parser on qfg2 was pretty good. There were times I needed a walkthrough but it wasn't because I put the commands in wrong. The two games I can think where I had real problems with the parser were KQ3 and LSL2 at the end when you had to put the bag in bottle.

jpnuar1
Knight Status

#418 Post by jpnuar1 » Fri May 23, 2008 3:02 pm

I actually had some troubles with the text parser. Playing through as a thief, I was trying to rob a house in Raseir, but couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get through the window and bring the rope with me. Unless that wasn't even how to get in it in the first place... In any case though, that little catch is the only reason I've never beaten the game yet.

Prio
Knight Status

#419 Post by Prio » Fri May 23, 2008 10:32 pm

Calvert666 wrote: I'll chill, but I'd appreciate it if people wouldn't make fun of me for having a strong opinion.
Having a strong opinion =/= throwing a temper tantrum and yelling at people to "get back to work".

Which you did.

Groveborn1234
Peasant Status

#420 Post by Groveborn1234 » Sat May 24, 2008 1:48 am

jpnuar1 wrote:I actually had some troubles with the text parser. Playing through as a thief, I was trying to rob a house in Raseir, but couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get through the window and bring the rope with me. Unless that wasn't even how to get in it in the first place... In any case though, that little catch is the only reason I've never beaten the game yet.
"Get rope".

sjyeager
Peasant Status

i Heard its done

#421 Post by sjyeager » Sat May 24, 2008 2:29 am

I just read that QFG2 is done and it will come out when they give the permission to release. is it true and please this is update board right so more update about the game please. ;)

hi i am new somewhat

been reading the post
but thats it  :p

adeyke

#422 Post by adeyke » Sat May 24, 2008 2:42 am

jpnuar1 wrote:I actually had some troubles with the text parser. Playing through as a thief, I was trying to rob a house in Raseir, but couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get through the window and bring the rope with me. Unless that wasn't even how to get in it in the first place... In any case though, that little catch is the only reason I've never beaten the game yet.
There's only one house you can rob, and you can only rob it after you're told to do so.  To enter it, you just "climb rope" next to the window and then hit the up arrow.  You'll automatically climb up towards the window, enter the window, and take the rope with you.

Kloreep
Knight Status

Re: i Heard its done

#423 Post by Kloreep » Sat May 24, 2008 3:36 am

sjyeager wrote:I just read that QFG2 is done and it will come out when they give the permission to release. is it true and please this is update board right so more update about the game please. ;)

hi i am new somewhat

been reading the post
but thats it  :p
Welcome to the forums. :)

AGD2 stated a few pages back that they're still working, so no, it's still waiting on bug fixes as well as approval:
Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:Last I checked, there are probably 100 (give or take) bugs left to take care of in the beta testers lists, and about 170 on my own list from my most recent Release Candidate playthrough.  Although, I'm writing newly discovered down as I go along, so that number will increase slightly.

Also, this won't be the last Release Candidate version. A lot of big changes were made to this latest version so some bugs were inevitably introduced.  Every time a fairly large number of bugs are found in a RC, we'll have to fix them and then release another RC for consideration. Hopefully the next RC after this one will be playable from beginning to end without running into anything, so that it can be released as the final.

Alanor.
Royal Servant Status

#424 Post by Alanor. » Sat May 24, 2008 7:41 am

100 - 170 Bugs.. How much now.??

xarcos
Peasant Status

#425 Post by xarcos » Sat May 24, 2008 7:53 am

avoozl snot wrote:Thought i'd use an allusion we'd all get, y'know?

As far as the non-issue of the voice pack goes, I wouldn't want to see one, anyway. I think a lot of people have an idea by now of how the characters 'sound' in their heads, and besides the enormous workload the project would add, it would just be impossible to please everyone (or even most people). There are always many people disappointed when a book becomes a movie because the characters aren't what they'd imagined.

It's different with a game like QFG4 or 5 when the voices are a part of the game from the beginning. In the case of QFG2, I'm happy to have the updated graphics and let my imagination fill in the voices as before. There will probably be more than enough fans getting worked up over how Dinarzad (or whoever) looks compared to how they pictured her.
I think this depends a lot.

Graham in King's Quest, for example.  You'll always know his voice because it's so distinct, a certain identity you couldn't have with just text.

Star Control 2's voice pack (the 3DO version), however, totally ruined nearly every conversation you had.  The aliens sound so much better and witty on text (...and in my head) which caused me to want to turn off the voices all together in the remake.  Luckily I originally played the text version in 1992.