The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1576 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:22 pm

As Lionel Luthor would say, "No risk, No reward" ;)

Broomie
The Enigma

#1577 Post by Broomie » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:08 pm

Has anyone here actually played Psychonauts? I purchased it off the Xbox Originals section of Xbox Marketplace.

Wow, this game is amazing. I haven't had so much fun playing a game, this is actually one of the greatest games I've ever played. I've just finished it, it's a reasonable length for a game but it's definitely left me wanting more.

Well, anything Tim Schafer makes is godly (See: Grim Fandango, Day of the Tentacle) so I'm looking forward to his new game, Brutal Legend. That game looks insanely good, especially with Jack Black as the main protagonist.

greensenshi
Knight Status

#1578 Post by greensenshi » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:10 pm

... I still have Psychonauts for my PS2.  I never finished it.  I really should though, the game was innovative and funny.  I just have trouble picking up a game I haven't played in a long time.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Psychonauts

#1579 Post by Brainiac » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:56 pm

Hey, you're not the only ones who love Psychonauts...

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#1580 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:40 pm

Now would be a good time to mention that I just bought Condemmed for 360 due to what Yatzhee said about it being better than the sequel.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#1581 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:03 pm

greensenshi
Knight Status

#1582 Post by greensenshi » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:17 pm

*gasps and cries tears*  Oh Squarey, you've made me so HAPPY!  FFIV, Dragon Quest IV, and now Chrono Trigger?  *melts*

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

C'mon Square

#1583 Post by Brainiac » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:47 am

I'm all for the Square-Enix love for portable Chrono, but seriously, when is the PAL region gonna get some love?  It's slated for only Japan and North America only again.  Granted, the DS doesn't have region lockouts as a handheld, but it's still got to be annoying - and I'd imagine that region's gamers would generate great sales since it would be their first official release of the game.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#1584 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:22 am

There has to be a reason for that, I just figured the market wasn't big enough to warrant some releases.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#1585 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:46 am

MY second double post this page, I'm just going to announce quickly that I beat GTAIV last night doing lots of the side stories and having fun once in a while killing everyone in sight and even watching the in game TV. It took 32 hours and 30 minutes. Just to give you a scope of how long an average play through is. I'll say now this is my Favorite game on 360, sure it has faults and the story is hard to buy into at first but the bottom line is it never stops being FUN! I find it strange that I did it in 32.5hours though because you get an achievement if you do it in under 30 which leaves me thinking I may have rushed through this epic game but I really don't feel I did. Has anyone else felt the same? different?

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1586 Post by Angelus3K » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:36 am

Finally got around to playing MGS4 on Saturday. Wow! It's amazing! The graphics, story and gameplay are all brilliant and the whole sneaking through a battlefield theme is really great, choosing which side to help, killing them all or just slipping by without notice.

Oh and the OctoCamo is one of the best things I've seen in a game, ever!

Can't wait to get fully into this game, need to finish GTAIV first really.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#1587 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:19 pm

Angelus3K wrote:Finally got around to playing MGS4 on Saturday. Wow! It's amazing! The graphics, story and gameplay are all brilliant and the whole sneaking through a battlefield theme is really great, choosing which side to help, killing them all or just slipping by without notice.

Oh and the OctoCamo is one of the best things I've seen in a game, ever!

Can't wait to get fully into this game, need to finish GTAIV first really.
tell me how long GTA IV takes... and I am so jealous of your MGS4 experience.

Broomie
The Enigma

Re: The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!

#1588 Post by Broomie » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:27 pm

So, Final Fantasy XIII is coming to the 360? Scadoosh!

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#1589 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:48 am

looks Reliable to me, I'm still searching for an MGS4 port.

PotatoSlayer
Knight Status

#1590 Post by PotatoSlayer » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:49 am

Yep im really happy i have a 360 right now. I was all ready to buy a ps3 when ffXIII came out but now I don't have to.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1591 Post by Angelus3K » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:40 pm

Yea was announced yesterday at MS E3 conference, FF Versus XIII is still PS3 exclusive but not much is known about that. I was a bit dissapointed with the MS conference, given I'm no fan but the only good thing was the revamped dashboard (Home copy?), Netflix links (sounds sweet) but then there was the Avatar thing, total Mii rip off and Lips which is a total SingStar ripoff.

Here's hoping Sony and Nintendo's conference's are a little better (both on tonight!).

jpnuar1
Knight Status

#1592 Post by jpnuar1 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:21 pm

Nintendo's conference was fairly lukewarm. They announced a room-microphone for use with the new animal crossing, which admittedly is the first the big N has given voice chat capability.

They also have "MotionPlus" for the Wiimote, released with a new version of Wii Sports. It allows for more accurate motion sensing, although how or to what extent wasn't covered. It supposedly allows tracking of your wrist and arm movements.

Star Wars: Clone Wars got covered, but while it does feature light saber battles, it doesn't seem to support MotionPlus, which I think is kind of a shame, seeing as how it brings us that much closer to 1:1 motion controls...
Last edited by jpnuar1 on Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1593 Post by Angelus3K » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:38 pm

Sony's conference was good from what I've read (not had time to watch it yet), LittleBigPlanet, God of War 3, Killzone 2, Resistance 2 etc etc we're all shown, inFamous looks sweet as does MAG which apprently can't be done on any other console and supports upto 256 players online!

Also Sony's PS3 movie rental service was announced and launches TONIGHT!!

Broomie
The Enigma

#1594 Post by Broomie » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:45 am

Microsoft probably had the better conference although there wasn't really any new announcements for games, just awesome updates for existing games we already knew about. The new interface looks interesting to say the least, but we'll just have to wait on that. Although I like the idea of the Gameshow formula.

And who cares if the Avatar addition is a Mii rip-off? Game companies rip each other off all the time and Sony has always been one of the main culprits. But if something is successful on one console than it would make sense to make a similar version of it.

The only thing that excited me about Sony's press conference was God of War III, which maybe the only reason I'd get a PS3 unless any other interesting games come out. Blu Ray is probably the other reason too so sooner or later I will get one, but now is not the right time for me. I don't really see the big deal with Home. It just seems like a realistic Animal Crossing and I never saw the big deal in Animal Crossing. It would interest me for a bit but not something I'd find too appealing after a while. I'm happy with my 360.

And Nintendo's press conference? What a joke. I've lost faith in the company. They're beginning to think only kids and old people are interested in the Wii, bringing out crap like Wii Music and Wii Sports 2. Sure, they'll play better than the rest of the 1000's of third party which feature the same kind of thing but come on, where's my new Zelda? Kid Icarus? There isn't one game I'm looking forward to on the Wii.

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#1595 Post by Music Head » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Broomie wrote:And who cares if the Avatar addition is a Mii rip-off? Game companies rip each other off all the time and Sony has always been one of the main culprits. But if something is successful on one console than it would make sense to make a similar version of it.
I agree 100%. I think it's stupid for people to bad mouth companies for using ideas thought of by others first. All companies do this and it would suck if they didn't! Companies copying each others products provides competition and more competitive pricing. It may not apply as much to a new feature added to an existing product, as it does to a whole product, but it still applies. Also, the more companies that do the same thing, the more it can be added upon and made better!

Anyway, I'm sure Nintendo has copied their fair share of ideas. Not like they're the only company to ever come up with something original!

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#1596 Post by Brainiac » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:41 pm

Broomie wrote:There isn't one game I'm looking forward to on the Wii.
I think Skyshark might disagree, although the downloadable MegaMan 9 has been confirmed to be multiplatform anyway.

Kloreep
Knight Status

#1597 Post by Kloreep » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:09 am

Nintendo figures have since confirmed that new Zelda, Mario, and Pikmin are in development. However, given that absolutely nothing was shown of them, I'd imagine they won't be released until sometime after the next E3. (Or probably even later in Mario/Zelda's case; Miyamoto specifically referenced them still being in the ideas stage with Zelda, so the next Mario can't be far along either.)

There's an interview with Miyamoto here. He states Nintendo doesn't view E3 as a place to talk about "core" games anymore. Which hopefully means they have more "core" games up their sleeve than this conference indicated, though I believe the Wii release schedule for the rest of the year recently came out, and there is indeed a lack of much that interests me. (Luckily me, I only just got a Wii recently, so the back catalouge means I still have about 5-10 big games to play, not to mention anything else I pick up on VC or WiiWare.)

Some interesting stuff, but from what I've seen this E3 seems pretty lackluster - aside from God of War III PS3 and FF XIII on 360, there wasn't much new in the way of actual (and exciting) games that hadn't already been heard of before. And both of those had been known before, just not for those platforms.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#1598 Post by Spikey » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:47 pm

Who needs games to look forward to on the Wii when you've got the Twilight Princess hack en a Snes9x channel?

I've just finished playing Hotel Dusk: Room 215 on the DS. It's not exactly what I'd call Gabriel Knight III, but still a decent adventure game for this age. Very much conversation and character depth present here, exactly what I've been missing all these years.

Anyone played it?

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#1599 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:02 pm

The Twilight Hack has been neutralized by the latest Wii system update, unfortunately. Though they say a workaround is in the works and is as yet unreleased. I've been saving up for the Wii version of TP for ScummVM on the Wii and now I'm not going to be able to use it at all! Stupid updates...

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#1600 Post by Spikey » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:27 pm

Update 3.3 doesn't neutralize the entire hack, just neutralises one particular version of the corrupted save game, namely the first. 8 hours after the update, another corrupted save game was released on the internet, which can be used as of old to boot from a SD card.