Random rants go here.

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

The Guy
Knight Status

#301 Post by The Guy » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:23 pm

lol Ok, sometimes it's hard to tell when posting. To answer you correctly, I've  not read anything in quite a bit. Unless there's some subliminal messages going around that I'm not aware of. And to sum it up, I'm just the resident weirdo who comes and goes from time to time to say hello for a few moments.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#302 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:06 pm

MusicallyInspired wrote:Ok, QFGF, I have to ask. Just WHAT is your sig animated GIF all about anyway?? It seems like just a random collage of MI3 screenshots. Is there like a format to it?
You know what I don't know but it ends on a dramatic note... I can't remember where I stole it from but it was on some website I was checking out one day.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#303 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:52 pm

Hey, AsianMusicGuy, check out this amazing female Japanese music video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#304 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:04 pm

I changed the format of my Sig to save space but holy crap I'm playing a lot of games right now, you can really tell that I've just finished writing 4 essays.

sjyeager
Peasant Status

#305 Post by sjyeager » Mon May 26, 2008 1:41 pm

I'm bond James bond... smack.. ouch...cut it out...bang...stop it...oh..oops.
wrong script sorry

You want to be a Hero I am that Hero.... bang...smack....crack....
Girl voice in background: It's Quest For glory 2 not....oops microphone still on
2 hour later....

Dumb girl i am really James band and where dose she get the right to hit me
I will... I... I... Hi My lady your sweet, kind, ..... smack...snap..crack...
Boy screaming: My arm!!!!!!!!!!!! stop it it hurts!!!!!!!!!!!

Girl voice: stupid brother its not James band its James Bond and believe that when the sun freezes over...
Brother: it possible...

SMACK..... WHAM

R.A.B.I.D.
Peasant Status

#306 Post by R.A.B.I.D. » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:01 am

QfG5 is an excellent example of why 3-D graphics aren't always better. QfG4 was, in my opinion, a MUCH better looking game than QfG5. In 5, the Hero stands in place with his arms stuck out straight like a plastic action figure, as though he's wearing an invisible ball gown. He walks very stiffly. Most of the poses he strikes look pretty awkward.

The backgrounds just aren't as magical when they're rendered instead of hand-painted. To me, they look plain and uninteresting, generic even. Some scenes look nice, but I liked ALL the scenes in previous games of the series.

I could see a Quest for Glory game being done with today's advanced 3-D graphics and working well visually. Technology on par with Half-Life 2 would do the series justice.

But in 1998, I think they would have been well advised to stick with 2-D, even if it didn't use the SCI engine. It's too bad that developers felt compelled to use 3-D graphics when they were first emerging, even though their game didn't need them and even suffered from them.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#307 Post by Angelus3K » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:22 pm

I think in those days no matter how nicer 2D looked, no publisher would have picked it up.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#308 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:52 am

Also the 3d engine alowwed for costume changing (armor and equipment) a lot easier and was less time consuming to make. Not sure how efficent it was cost wise though. I sometimes debate how much more I would like Final Fantasy VII if people dind't have bricks for hands and chair leg feet though.

The Guy
Knight Status

#309 Post by The Guy » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:13 pm

What about when they released the FFVII demo trailer for the PS3? If they re-released it on PS3 looking like that, would you buy it then or wait for reviews?

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#310 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:54 pm

The Guy wrote:What about when they released the FFVII demo trailer for the PS3? If they re-released it on PS3 looking like that, would you buy it then or wait for reviews?
First of all I must stress that that was an early tech demo showing what the PS3 was capable of and is NOT a game in the works. As far as this goes though I probably wouldn't unless there were lots of bonus features and added little things to tie into the rest of the story like the wagons that Zach makes for Aeris and little things like that. Also I'd have to have a PS3.

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

#311 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:24 pm

I don't know what happened but I was posting in my Final Fantasy thread and got a strange message saying something about debug and something about the server I just thought I'd let you guys know just in case it's something serious but hopefully it's not.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#312 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:48 am

seraphimdreamer777 wrote:I don't know what happened but I was posting in my Final Fantasy thread and got a strange message saying something about debug and something about the server I just thought I'd let you guys know just in case it's something serious but hopefully it's not.
Now I wonder if this is why Navy is doing server work this week sometime. Also Post 1800! I spend way too much time here.

jpnuar1
Knight Status

#313 Post by jpnuar1 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:42 am

Or maybe he's planning on adding a forum...(Why it'd take so long I don't know, but then I also don't run any websites)

Muadeeb
Royal Servant Status

#314 Post by Muadeeb » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:06 pm

Forum addition wouldn't take any downtime.  A few keystrokes in the administrator panel and done!  (Kinda like adding a new topic).  The downtime would be related to a software upgrade or massive database maintenance -- the kind where any changes (posts) would cause the maintenance to belch and corrupt it.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#315 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:20 pm

maybe hes moving to PHP 3.0?

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

Re:

#316 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:16 am

Quest For Glory Fan wrote:maybe hes moving to PHP 3.0?
I win!

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

Re:  Random rants go here.

#317 Post by Gronagor » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:12 am

:rollin

You mean phpBB 3.0

PHP 3 would be a major downgrade, and he'll probably have to shut down for a few weeks to get things working again. :p

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#318 Post by Pidgeot » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:14 pm

I may just have broken my DS Lite.

Basically, I had a broken hinge, and it was a bit of a problem since it would often suddenly close if I (for one reason or another) moved the unit a bit too quickly. Since warranty didn't cover, and getting Nintendo to repair it would cost nearly as much as just getting a new one, I decided I'd buy a new case online and try to replace it myself. It didn't cost much at all, so I figured that if I ended up breaking it, it would have been worth an attempt at least.

So, the case arrived yesterday, and I sat down to take apart my current DS and put the electronics and stuff in the new case. Once I finished, I turned on the DS to give it a test run.

The green power light lit up for about a second or so, at which point the top screen briefly flashed white and the unit turned off. Bummer.

I've fiddled around with it some more, and found out that if I remove the wireless module and turn on the system, the screens will just stay black and it won't turn off. This either means that the problem is with the wireless module, and the DS doesn't handle it when it's missing, or that the error is somewhere on the motherboard and it detects this a bit later in its testing process.

I haven't decided what I'm going to do about this. I can either buy a new one, or I can buy one used (it could be one with a broken screen or something, since I could just use my current screen for that) and try to salvage this one. I could also take apart my "Phat" DS and test with the wireless module in that one, but then I can't use the Phat, which I need to be able to.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

Re: Random rants go here.

#319 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:05 pm

Pidgeot wrote: I could also take apart my "Phat" DS and test with the wireless module in that one, but then I can't use the Phat, which I need to be able to.
What exactly does the phat do the lite doesn't? I only have the phat and I lost my stylus... they no longer make replacements its pretty much the worst thing you can do to a DS.

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#320 Post by Pidgeot » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:39 pm

It doesn't do anything the Lite doesn't - on the contrary, the Lite has better backlighting (4 levels) and feels more comfortable to me - but I need two DS's for trading Pokémon, and it just doesn't make sense to do more damage than I've already done.

As for the stylus, there should be a replacement in the box (assuming you still have the box and haven't used the replacement as well).

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#321 Post by Music Head » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:49 pm

The stylus is just a piece of plastic right? That being the case, wouldn't a pencil work just the same?

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

Re: Random rants go here.

#322 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:11 pm

I suppose if the pencil was dull, the stylus is rounded so it doesn't scrath as much but a pencil would also leave markings I would think. Doesn't matter 90% of my games I don't use the stylus or I can just yell objection. That being said I have loads of scratches on my PSP already and I have no idea how.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#323 Post by navynuke04 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:45 pm

They sell sylus's all over the place. Palm Pilots, PocketPC's, smart phones, etc. all use stylus's. I'm sure they probably sell them at Wal-mart, but I know for a fact they have them at office supply stores like Office Depot. I picked up a few extra stylus's for my Palm Pilot when I first bought it.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#324 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:18 am

I know there are other stylus' but the I have the phat DS, so they don't fit in the slot for it.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#325 Post by Angelus3K » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:24 pm

I can't imagine there not being DS stylus' on eBay.