Forum Maintenance

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

Forum Maintenance

#1 Post by navynuke04 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:14 am

At some point this week, we plan on closing down the forums for several hours to do some maintenance on them. During this time, you will get a message telling you the board has been disabled. I'm not 100% sure how long the maintenance will take, but I'm guessing between 2 and 4 hours.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

Re: Forum Maintenance

#2 Post by navynuke04 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:19 am

The bulk of the forum maintenance is complete. I've at least got it to the point that everyone can continue reading and posting.

I've just upgraded our forums to the latest and greatest version of phpBB. We've done this in an attempt to stay up-to-date and to improve the functionality of the forums.

If you notice anyting out of the ordinary, feel free to post here and I'll attempt to correct it.

Here's some predicted FAQs:

Q) Why does everything look different.
A) Our existing forum themes were not compatible with the new system. I'm going to try converting them over in the near future, but didn't want to delay the upgrade.

Q) What happened to the other forum themes?
A) See above question.

Q) Why are the smiles not showing up as images?
A) This is a bug in the conversion process. Future posts will be correct and over time the textual smilies will drop off. This wasn't a big concern and I didn't want to delay the upgrade while waiting for a fix.

Q) I had access to a private forum, but I can't see it any more. What gives?
A) The permissions didn't quite transfer over properly. I've got to get them set back up. Give me a few hours. If you are a beta tester, this means you.

Q) I had a custom signature, but now it's gone. What's going on?
A) Again, these didn't transfer over. I'll have to set them back up. They are low on the priority list though. I'll get them converted soon.

Q) What new features were added?
A) Too many to list. You might try looking at phpBB's website. http://www.phpbb.com

Like I said, if anyone spots any issues, please feel free to bring them to my attention.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#3 Post by navynuke04 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:51 am

I've finished converting over all the forum permissions. You should now see any private forums that you used to have access to. If you had access to something and no longer do, please let me know (via PM in order to keep it private). I'll confirm and grant you access.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#4 Post by navynuke04 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:16 am

Okay. All custom signature should be in place. Let me know if there is a problem with yours.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#5 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:42 am

Wow! The latest phpBB! Nice! I like the look a lot. Actually, can you keep this theme along with the custom ones? I like this one better. ;)

Broomie
The Enigma

#6 Post by Broomie » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:26 am

To be honest, the completely blue theme wasn't that nice and there was little contrast between the colors so it didn't look that right. Stick with this look, it's much nicer.

And good to see you've upgraded to the latest version! It looks so much smarter and better laid out in this version.

Edit: A few issues:

Spoiler tag isn't working. [spoiler]See?[/spoiler]

I'm able to upload attachments, I'm not sure if that's intended or not but I wasn't able to on the older forums.

That's it. If I find anymore I'll let you know.

gamecreator
Knight Status

#7 Post by gamecreator » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:12 pm

The current look is definitely a big improvement. Please keep it around in some form.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#8 Post by navynuke04 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:25 pm

The attachment feature is something new to phpBB3. We talked about disallowing attachments everywhere but the technical forum and beta testing forum. Having attachments in those two forums would allow users to upload save games and screenshots a lot more easily.

The spoiler tag was a custom modification I had made to the old boards. I'll see about recreating it with these boards later.

Muadeeb
Royal Servant Status

#9 Post by Muadeeb » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:00 am

On the old board, when you clicked on a link it would open in a new window (or tab). The new board does not do this. Can you do this again?

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#10 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:44 am

when using firefox middle clicking opens a new tab, wont work with other browsers or macs though.

RC-Cola
Peasant Status

#11 Post by RC-Cola » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:38 pm

Muadeeb wrote:On the old board, when you clicked on a link it would open in a new window (or tab). The new board does not do this. Can you do this again?
If you're using Firefox, shift+left clicking a link will open any link in a new window, and ctrl+left click will open it in a new tab. Might be the same in I.E., I know shift+left click works in I.E. 6.0

Muadeeb
Royal Servant Status

#12 Post by Muadeeb » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:35 am

yeah, but I'm lazy, and on a laptop with no wheel (middle) click. The tag <a href="blah" target="_blank"> is what does it. Look at my sig, that'll tell you how lazy I