What AGDI Expects From Fans?

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Tehseen
Royal Servant Status

What AGDI Expects From Fans?

#1 Post by Tehseen » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:25 am

Here i've noticed everybody's just asking AGDI about the release of QFG2VGA or requesting them to remake some of the titles . I've seen people expects too much from the team. its good to expect from the people we love but have you guys ever thought what does AGDI expects from Us why are they remaking the games we love? why are the working so hard?As being good fans you guys should also try to find out what problems they are facing and stuff like that .... they are doing it for free but have you guys ever thought how they'll be paying for the sites and the game making cost etc etc . so its an general advise for you all that you should also show concern towards these issues and ask them if they are facing any problem regarding anything and try to help them.
Love you AGDI

gamecreator
Knight Status

Re: What AGDI Expects From Fans?

#2 Post by gamecreator » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:09 pm

I think you're focusing on a small (but vocal) minority. I'd say the majority is appreciative and considerate.

Alanor.
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by Alanor. » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:00 pm

So what was the $ cost $ of making this game. :)

What was the motive and reasons behind creating AGDI. :)

Who first thought about AGDI and how did he get the idea. :)

And like a good fan I am trying to find out, are you guys facing any problems and stuff like that .... :D

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#4 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:06 am

Alanor. wrote:So what was the $ cost $ of making this game. :)

What was the motive and reasons behind creating AGDI. :)

Who first thought about AGDI and how did he get the idea. :)

And like a good fan I am trying to find out, are you guys facing any problems and stuff like that .... :D
Or she... :evil

AsianMusicGuy
Defense Minister Status

#5 Post by AsianMusicGuy » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:14 am

funny how people automatically assume he...

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#6 Post by Gronagor » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:52 am

Well... in this case it was she AND he.

Hmmm... originally they were part of Hero6, but along the line they felt they'd rather be working on these remakes first... for two reasons. 1) Like all of us, they wanted these games in VGA, 2) They wanted to get experience on making these type of games.

Kloreep
Knight Status

#7 Post by Kloreep » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:15 pm

As has been covered in other threads, the AGDs can't accept direct donations or anything of that sort, anyhow. Being good fans is the most one can do directly in terms of the remakes.

That said, they definitely deserve support for their efforts. If you want to give them a buck, you can do it by getting another game from them. :) Al Emmo, their first commercial effort, is available at the Himalaya Store.

(I know most of you have probably seen plenty of links to Al Emmo by now, but I feel obligated to plug whenever someone brings up the topic of supporting AGDI. We may not be able to support AGDI directly, but we can support Himalaya.)

xKiv
Peasant Status

#8 Post by xKiv » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:58 pm

AsianMusicGuy wrote:funny how people automatically assume he...
Funny how people automatically assume an assumption on the part of the pronoun's user, instead of a simple mindless habit.
We express our thoughts in the language we learnt [1] - even when the process of putting our thoughts in words changes the intended meaning into something slightly else.

IOW, never attribute to malice what can be attributed to ignorance.

[1] case in point: firefox's spill chucker marks "learnt" as incorrect.
It *is* incorrect, in american english. But I learnt british in school ...

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#9 Post by Gronagor » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:28 pm

Hehe. Rather say what I would have said... 'He has one less letter to type than she, and much shorter than person. Rather laziness than malice.' That's good enough for me. :D

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#10 Post by Brainiac » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:23 pm

Plus in English "he" is typically considered the default pronoun due to a lack of a gender-neutral one.

Prio
Knight Status

#11 Post by Prio » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:00 pm

Brainiac wrote:Plus in English "he" is typically considered the default pronoun due to a lack of a gender-neutral one.
English has "they" (or as an object, "them"), which is used in both plural and singular cases (distinguished by context). I sometimes use "s/he" informally or "he or she" formally if "they" wouldn't work. " or she" is seven extra characters, which takes longer to count than it does to type. =P
For possessive singular and plural gender-neutral, there's "their". But nobody bothers learning how to use that correctly anymore, including native English-speakers. :\

RC-Cola
Peasant Status

#12 Post by RC-Cola » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:04 pm

Brainiac wrote:Plus in English "he" is typically considered the default pronoun due to a lack of a gender-neutral one.
It's true. Some people say "they" instead, but that's also incorrect. And if you say, "he or she," it can get tiring to read after seeing it more than a couple times in a row, so you can't win. We should really get on that gender-neutral pronoun thing.

Prio
Knight Status

#13 Post by Prio » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:17 am

Some people say "they" instead, but that's also incorrect.
So opines most of the Usage Panel. But a great many distinguished writers and publications use it anyway. It has been so since the 1300s. (http://www.bartleby.com/64/C005/018.html)

RC-Cola
Peasant Status

#14 Post by RC-Cola » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:51 am

There are some grammar rules that everyone just can't agree upon. I've tried avoiding the problem by just giving up and not talking, but I always wind up losing my job and my friends.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#15 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:12 am

Over grammar?

RC-Cola
Peasant Status

#16 Post by RC-Cola » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:24 am

MusicallyInspired wrote:Over grammar?
It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Muadeeb
Royal Servant Status

#17 Post by Muadeeb » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:22 am

Prio wrote:
English has "they" (or as an object, "them"), which is used in both plural and singular cases (distinguished by context). I sometimes use "s/he" informally or "he or she" formally if "they" wouldn't work. " or she" is seven extra characters, which takes longer to count than it does to type. =P
For possessive singular and plural gender-neutral, there's "their". But nobody bothers learning how to use that correctly anymore, including native English-speakers. :\
There is also the oft forgotten 'one'. As in
One dresses up on Sunday, does one not?
And $50 net dollars to anyone who can come up with the correct next line of the quote...

El Ravager
Knight Status

#18 Post by El Ravager » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:24 am

Of course, we could also just all avoid becoming uptight about it. He. She. Whatever. You've got to use one or the other in lieu of a gender-neutral English pronoun. Life: we're all on the Hindenburg anyway; no point arguing over an aisle seat.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#19 Post by Brainiac » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:27 pm

Muadeeb wrote:There is also the oft forgotten 'one'. As in
One dresses up on Sunday, does one not?
And $50 net dollars to anyone who can come up with the correct next line of the quote...
That depends on whether you want the next line from any character, the next line from the same character, the whole scene, or the MST3K version from the episode. :p

And yes, I know them all. I always liked Babylon 5.

AGP
Royal Servant Status

#20 Post by AGP » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:40 pm

RC-Cola, you're very funny. I was laughing out loud just now.

kosch
Royal Servant Status

#21 Post by kosch » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:39 am

i could never complain about the qg2 remake. I really thought it was hopeless when sierra stopped making 2d adventure games. Im sure a lot of people here feel the same way right? I thought i'd never get to enjoy the only quest for glory that wasn't in more than 16 colors. agdi took the challenge that nobody else was ready to take. they deserve major respect in my book.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#22 Post by Spikey » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:16 pm

AsianMusicGuy wrote:funny how people automatically assume he...
Not 'funny' at all, more 'logical'. Stereotypes are psychological phenomena present in everyone's minds, basically to divide our precious cognitive capacity more efficiently. Usually, it works, but 'short-cuts' in thinking produce errors like these. Unless you taught yourself to structurally counter-act on stereotypes. Even then, they still exist inside of you, you just counter them.

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#23 Post by Lady Pyro » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:10 pm

El Ravager wrote:Of course, we could also just all avoid becoming uptight about it.
I try not to get to worked up about things like that, but I can understand the frustration. Being a mainly male dominated industry, and having male dominated interests, it can get annoying when people assume you're either a male (online), a Lesbian (in person) or lying/faking to impress (both) because of your interests and hobbies.

I know it might seem dumb to correct people on using 'he' as the auto-pronoun, but if it helps remind people that there are girls genuinely into this stuff then I'd rather see a few people scolded online then get quizzed by elitist pricks on comic book trivia every time the subject comes up.

eriqchang
PR Director & Artist

#24 Post by eriqchang » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:45 pm

Lady Pyro wrote:
El Ravager wrote:I try not to get to worked up about things like that, but I can understand the frustration. Being a mainly male dominated industry, and having male dominated interests, it can get annoying when people assume you're either a male (online), a Lesbian (in person) or lying/faking to impress (both) because of your interests and hobbies.

omg. You're not a lesbian? Damn. I love those. Especially the purple ones. They're so cute!

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#25 Post by Spikey » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:53 pm

Lady Pyro wrote:
El Ravager wrote:Of course, we could also just all avoid becoming uptight about it.
I try not to get to worked up about things like that, but I can understand the frustration. Being a mainly male dominated industry, and having male dominated interests, it can get annoying when people assume you're either a male (online), a Lesbian (in person) or lying/faking to impress (both) because of your interests and hobbies.

I know it might seem dumb to correct people on using 'he' as the auto-pronoun, but if it helps remind people that there are girls genuinely into this stuff then I'd rather see a few people scolded online then get quizzed by elitist pricks on comic book trivia every time the subject comes up.
In some academic environments it's common to use 'she' more often than 'he', or interchange them here and there, which seems very 'odd' the first time you encounter it. But after that, it seems better.