QFG2 News & Updates: Version 2.0 Released on PC and Mac!

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

eriqchang
PR Director & Artist

QFG2 News & Updates: Version 2.0 Released on PC and Mac!

#1 Post by eriqchang » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:05 am

Update: 20th January, 2011: Quest for Glory II Version 2.0 Released!

Go to the Quest for Glory 2 Page

Packed full of fixes and improvements, version 2.0 of Quest for Glory II: Trial by Fire has been upgraded and released. But that's not all! Now Mac users, too, can enjoy this award-winning Adventure/RPG game in full Point & Click, icon-based, pseudo-VGA glory. So be a Hero, not a zero, and download your free copy right now.

Special thanks to Dr. Jones for doing the work of about 10 beta testers over the course of several months to make this version extra polished!

----------------------
CHANGES TO VERSION 2.0
----------------------
WARNING: GAME SPOILERS AHEAD

- Added: Compiled the game with the AGS 3.2 engine for better compatibility on all systems
- Added: Optional Direct3D driver mode
- Added: proper Vista and Windows 7 support and functionality
- Added: a checkbox to the Windows installer asking whether the user wants to create a game desktop icon
- Added: Save-game files can now be directly loaded by double-clicking on them from Explorer
- Added: The game now supports 50 save-game files
- Added: a safety check when starting a new game to ensure that Health and Stamina are at the correct levels
- Added: Some missing items to the TAB Inventory GUI menu & implemented the correct pluralization for all items
- Added: The ability to skip the sitting down animation process in Aziza's house
- Added: several missing death messages
- Added: a more accurate message if Dazzling and then Calming the guards in front of Raseir's Palace
- Added: a missing line of Khaveen's dialog when answering "yes" to him
- Removed: Paladin disqualification when using the X-Ray glasses to look at Zayishah
- Removed: 6 points that had been mistakenly allocated in Version 1.1 for thieves trying to become Paladins
- Changed: the game now natively plays Ogg Theora video files, preventing potential video stream freezes
- Changed: Windows save-games to be saved in the game directory again rather than in My Documents/My Saved Games
- Changed: the game's installer to use Inno Setup for better compression and performance
- Changed: You can now walk with the arrow keys if a spell target, rock, or dagger is the active mouse cursor
- Changed: Hybrids without inherent Magic skill now begin with only the QFG1 spells that are unobtainable in QFG2
- Fixed: the Stats Allocation screen to detect whether the character name begins or ends with a space
- Fixed: a bug where middle-clicking in the Stats Assignment screen changed the arrow pointer into an eye icon
- Fixed: an exploit where telling Issur about "air elemental" before it appeared allowed spamming Communication
- Fixed: a bug that caused the Hero's animation frames to glitch if sitting when Omar rewards you
- Fixed: a bug where depleting the Magic Rope caused the Magic and Special Actions GUIs to remain inaccessible
- Fixed: a debug text message that displayed in the Weapon's Shop
- Fixed: text displayed in a borderless box if CTRL+W or F1 pressed while the mouse hovers over an alley exit
- Fixed: Throwing daggers in combat giving 1 extra when collected if you have any sword & the Silver Dagger
- Fixed: Escaping combat with <2 health and 0 stamina now slightly boosts both stats to prevent instantly dying
- Fixed: a bug where you could reach 0 health and 0 stamina without dying immediately
- Fixed: a v1.1 bug that made Jabbar bin Ma'amar the only guard to ever enter the Shapeir Gates Plaza
- Fixed: Stopped Shema from barking about the Air Elemental in the morning if you've already defeated it
- Fixed: Raseirian guards appearing in Shapeir's Plazas and break-in houses if you visited Raseir early
- Fixed: a bug when Levitating/climbing rope in the 3rd break-in house & clicking an item on the drawers
- Fixed: a crash in the alleyway overlooking the Gates Plaza at the exact moment the Fire Elemental appears
- Fixed: a bug where the alleyway brigand could appear a fifth time
- Fixed: the ghoul's Boom spell from leaving a graphical flame artifact on the combat area after exploding
- Fixed: the swing attack using more stamina than the stab when making contact with an opponent
- Fixed: Prevented the spell target becoming an Eye/Hand when casting spells at alley intersections with NPCs
- Fixed: Knocking on the left-hand door in the WIT alley no longer makes the hero exit the screen.
- Fixed: a bug where the EOF voices repeat orders in the alley after EOF has already been passed
- Fixed: the icon bar disappearing when captured in Zayishah's room and thrown into Raseir's dungeon
- Fixed: an oversight that caused the Reversal spell to remain active during the Thief's endgame scenario
- Fixed: various in-game spelling errors, omissions, and grammatical issues
- Fixed: a bug where sound and music volume could sometimes still be faintly heard even when the sliders were muted
- Fixed: a bug where making the thief sign to Ferrari could result in his text being pink with no dialog picture
- Fixed: a potential freeze when being expelled from Keapon's Magic Shop at night, after playing Force Bolt Flurry
- Fixed: a potential freeze when being expelled from the Weapons Shop after angering Issur
- Fixed: a potential bug where the green saurus didn't flee prior to battle and could be mounted as a red saurus
- Fixed: calling the saurus into the griffin's screen and attempting to ride ignoring the walk directions
- Fixed: asking Shema about 'kiss' via parser making her parser GUI remain on-screen even after she left
- Fixed: save-game files potentially getting misnumbered and overwriting existing save-games
- Fixed: Dragging the Music Volume slider to the very bottom will now mute game music completely
- Fixed: Made it so clicking your money pouch on Shameen is consistent when you are sitting and standing
- Fixed: Various alleyway walk-behind, masking, and clipping glitches
- Fixed: a bug where typing 'buy' into some Katta merchants' parsers before meeting Dinarzad would do nothing
- Fixed: Pressing Enter after typing nothing in Parser-Only mode will no longer parse the input
- Fixed: a bug where selecting a targeting spell and then resting would revert to a non-functioning target cursor
- Fixed: a bug where some Silly Clowns could appear in the alleyways, even if the Silly Clowns option was off
- Fixed: mouse cursors changing to the wrong icons when casting Open and Trigger in the alleys as people walk past
- Fixed: Parser-Only bug where moving the mouse to the top of the screen caused NPC talking frames to freeze
- Fixed: a bug where trying to enter the Shapeir gate while riding your saurus would freeze the game
- Fixed: Made the "Terminal Stubbornness" death occur if Ali Fakir gave his final warning & leaves for the night
- Fixed: Tweaked the first griffin battle in 'normal' and 'difficult' modes so he approaches more often
- Fixed: Adjusted the legend for Aziza's mini-game so that elements are displayed in the order of change
- Fixed: If you have 200 centimes & buy a 100 centime item, the remainder will be 100 centimes instead of 1 dinar
- Fixed: Bargaining more money than you have will indicate such and prevent further merchant haggling
- Fixed: some small animation glitches with standing & sitting Katta merchants
- Fixed: a bug where you could store your sword in the room chest, followed by your dagger and become unarmed
- Fixed: Clicking the "retrieve all" button on the room chest GUI not retrieving the pizza box if it was stored
- Fixed: If sitting when Shema's dance is about to start, you no longer need to stand and sit again to initiate it
- Fixed: After Alichica's stand burns down, asking him about 'price' will no longer have him list item prices
- Fixed: a bug where typing a false hero name at WIT would move onto the 2nd question when you next visited
- Fixed: Made it possible to use the arrow keys to walk during all the WIT tests
- Fixed: a bug where you could walk on top of the Inn table while Shameen and Shema are seated there at midnight
- Fixed: Levitate re-enabling the arrow keys for walking if they were disabled before casting the spell
- Fixed: Daggers thrown, but without high enough Throwing skill to hit a specific target, are no longer lost
- Fixed: Daggers thrown at the corpses of Sweeping Sir James and the griffin are no longer lost
- Fixed: Exiting Issur's Weapon Shop on the right side, even if you weren't near the door
- Fixed: You can no longer ask Aziza about the Water Elemental before the Fire Elemental appears
- Fixed: a bug when giving Omar's purse or the Inn key to Shameen while he's standing & you're sitting at the Inn
- Fixed: a bug where Shameen's Tell About menu appeared instead of Abdulla Doo's while seated at the Inn
- Fixed: being evicted from Aziza's house & WIT while overloaded resetting the hero back to normal walking speed
- Fixed: Sitting down at Aziza's table while overloaded will now make the hero's walking speed reflect this
- Fixed: a lock-up if a monster collides simultaneously as the Spells/Inventory/Special Actions/Magic GUI appears
- Fixed: Made it so you can Fetch the waterskin placed on the plaza floor to capture the Water Elemental
- Fixed: Made it so you can Fetch the brass lamp placed in the alley screens to capture the Fire Elemental
- Fixed: Made it so you can Fetch the cardboard box in the alleys
- Fixed: Prevented being able to buy drinks in Raseir by typing "buy" into Wilmer's parser if you have no money
- Fixed: Turned the Compass GUI off in the black transition screens and during Ferrari's close-up chat scenes
- Fixed: Made it so you can cast Levitate in both Raseir Fountain Plaza screens
- Fixed: being able to call your saurus at the Raseir city overlook when it was already visible at the gate
- Fixed: a crash after a guard in Raseir's Gates Plaza asked to see your Visa at night with pink text
- Fixed: a bug where being caught in the Gates Plaza without your Visa caused the game to freeze and lock-up
- Fixed: Attempted to make spell casting code run more quickly in plaza screens at night when a guard is present
- Fixed: Tweaked the Dazzle and Calm timing code in the Raseir Fountain Plaza screen with wandering guards
- Fixed: a bug where colliding with a Calmed/Dazzled enemy would not allow you to cast non-targeted spells
- Fixed: a bug where typing "undress" into Zayishah's parser at any time resulted in a death scene
- Fixed: a bug where drinking Ferrari's beverages on night 27 could instantly skip to mid-morning on day 28
- Fixed: Made Ugarte leave the Inn & the hero go to bed automatically if still sitting as day 28 starts dawning
- Fixed: If you land in Raseir's dungeon before obtaining Zayishah's mirror, another mirror can now be found later
- Fixed: a bug where you could get arrested in Raseir on day 30, instead of day 29
- Fixed: Filling your waterskins in the Forbidden City's water cave will now correctly update the inventory weight
- Fixed: casting Fetch on the curtain in the Raseir Palace Antechamber placing the hero on a non-walkable area
- Fixed: Tweaked Ad Avis' positioning when he casts the Dragonfire spell in the endgame scene
- Fixed: Prevented F6 key from recasting the last spell while the hero is luring the Fire Elemental with incense
- Fixed: many alleyway walkable area, masking, and visual anomalies
- Fixed: a multitude of other small bugs and glitches

Last edited by eriqchang on Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:59 am, edited 23 times in total.

RogerWanko
Royal Servant Status

Re: *** The Official Countdown Begins ***

#2 Post by RogerWanko » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:37 am

nice ....have anymore? :D

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

Re: *** The Official Teaser Countdown Begins ***

#3 Post by DrJones » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:43 am

Yai! Teasers! :D

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#4 Post by Gronagor » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:53 am

My, oh my! You are truelly evil, Eriq! :)

eriqchang
PR Director & Artist

#5 Post by eriqchang » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:25 pm

Last edited by eriqchang on Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Muadeeb
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by Muadeeb » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:22 pm

DANGIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're a bigger tease than most women I know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RudyS
Peasant Status

#7 Post by RudyS » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:42 pm

:eek

Will there be a flash website announcing the QFG2 remake similar to what you did for Al Emmo? The Al Emmo site was AWESOME. Also loved the poster and cover art.

LOOKING FORWARD TO IT!

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#8 Post by Gronagor » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:00 pm

Erpy did say someone is working on the website in the other thread, and since Eriq posted these teasers, I'd say it is probably so!

I agree! Can't wait to see the final product!
(Speaking of... will the poster art and stuff be for sale? :) The original sketches that is. :) ... and other art from the game??)

RudyS
Peasant Status

#9 Post by RudyS » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:54 pm

Gronagor, I hope so too! I think it's so great to see people with this kind of passion for classic gaming... whether the people are AGD designers or amazing artists like Eriq Chang.
Gronagor wrote:Erpy did say someone is working on the website in the other thread, and since Eriq posted these teasers, I'd say it is probably so!

I agree! Can't wait to see the final product!
(Speaking of... will the poster art and stuff be for sale? :) The original sketches that is. :) ... and other art from the game??)

b74life
Royal Servant Status

#10 Post by b74life » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:00 am

Muadeeb wrote:DANGIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dangit? Ok, Butters. =P

eriqchang
PR Director & Artist

#11 Post by eriqchang » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:20 am

Quest for Glory II has always held a very special place in my heart. I feel extremely blessed to have been asked to contribute. When Chris (AGD2) asked me to create the website, I think I about choked on my veggie burger... especially since, unlike Al Emmo, I played no role in the development of the actual game. It's been very exciting putting my own twist on the promotional artworks for this classic title, along with a few other surprises.

Like all of you, I have been anxiously awaiting the final release. I have had exactly two encounters with this new release - once at Planet Hollywood where I met the entire development team and watched as AGD2 tinkered around with the character selection screen and earlier this year when the fabled Britney Brimhall and Stijn (Erpy) stayed at my studio and helped me draw cartoon fish (more on that later. :lol ). It was a test in patience shielding my eyes from Erpy's laptop which, at every opportunity, he enthusiastically powered up to demo the slick new battle system with. It's true. I want to savour every minute - shiny and new. To say that I am excited is an understatement.

Stick around. There's more coming from the peanut gallery. And thank you for the feedback! :)
Last edited by eriqchang on Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#12 Post by Gronagor » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:26 pm

Oooh! Does this mean there's photos of the AGDpeople working? :) (Not to mention the cute Britney Brimhall! We haven't seen anything of her in quite a while!!) >D

eriqchang
PR Director & Artist

#13 Post by eriqchang » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:43 pm

Last edited by eriqchang on Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

eriqchang
PR Director & Artist

#14 Post by eriqchang » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:44 pm

Last edited by eriqchang on Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

Re: *** Update 4, Monday : The Official Teaser Countdown ***

#15 Post by Gronagor » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:51 pm

Shameen!

Piotyr
Peasant Status

#16 Post by Piotyr » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:59 am

Shat I would give my left googad for a poster like that on my wall! You guys should seriously consider selling prints! Well if you can legally do so.

JonWW
Royal Servant Status

#17 Post by JonWW » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:34 am

eriqchang said that the poster can not be sold legally...
eriqchang wrote:Unfortunately, I cannot offer the poster for sale due to licensing restrictions. It is only being offered as a giveaway. :(
But he did say that it there will be a chance to win the poster :)
eriqchang wrote:We are holding a contest for Quest for Glory fan artwork this coming weekend. Be sure to submit your work. You could win a Quest for Glory II large format poster.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#18 Post by Gronagor » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:21 am

I guess we could take it for granted that the art should be QfG2 related. :)
Hmmm... which characters and monsters appeared in the game?

Shameen, Shema and the other Katta obviously.
Ali Fakir, Uhura, Rakeesh, Julanar the tree, saurus...

eriqchang
PR Director & Artist

#19 Post by eriqchang » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:09 pm

Last edited by eriqchang on Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Broomie
The Enigma

Re: *** Update 5, Tuesday : The Official Teaser Countdown ***

#20 Post by Broomie » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:10 pm

I can see you have put a lot of effort into that and I cannot wait for the final product. After seeing your work on Al Emmo, it's no doubt this will look awesome!

Cute cat btw. And Mac's rule.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#21 Post by Gronagor » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:33 pm

*sigh* I'm so jealous of his equipment. :(

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#22 Post by Blackthorne519 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:19 am

I know! I wish I had that kind of equipment too. It's like I make these games using a rock and a cave wall compared to Eriq's stuff!!

Bt

oughtobe

#23 Post by oughtobe » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:20 am

I found this pretty funny...

Tye
Royal Servant Status

#24 Post by Tye » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:28 am

Omg that's hilarious! Seriously can't wait to see the website man!

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#25 Post by Gronagor » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:57 am

LOL! It seems he thought of everything!