*** WINNERS ANNOUNCED! The Official QFG2 Contest!***

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Tye
Royal Servant Status

*** WINNERS ANNOUNCED! The Official QFG2 Contest!***

#1 Post by Tye » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:38 am

So, about 5 years ago I submitted my first 'Quest for Glory' art to Tierra Entertainment's website... which of course is now agdinteractive. However, it was never accepted and I felt the cold chill of failure down my spine (or so I thought at the time).

I'd love to see these in the art section sometime, but that's up to the administration, not me. But the main purpose of this thread is to share with you two of my latest drawings.

And the first one is something you may have seen before. It's my re-creation of the box-art for Heroes Quest. While I don't believe it's possible to surpass the original, I believe that my rendition has it's own unique qualities with a distinctively different attitude.

The second one is completely original, and it's my concept of an Antwerp (as seen in Heroes Quest).
Attachments

[The extension jpg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

Re: QFG Artwork

#2 Post by Gronagor » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:15 am

Cool. Yeah. I remember the first one. You posted it a while ago. The dragon really does have a personality in that one! Good job.

The antwerp I don't think you got quite right. I could be wrong, but the whole idea of an antwerp is that it is a blueish jelly-like-blob... see through. You should even be able the see his intestinals. Hey... if I'm right, you should be able to make those adjustments to your pic without a problem. As for the style and shadow/lighting of the pictures: very good!!

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#3 Post by Klytos » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:26 pm

I've always loved the hero's quest cover. Nice version of it.

RC-Cola
Peasant Status

#4 Post by RC-Cola » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:11 pm

I REALLY like that dragon in the first pic. In fact I like almost the whole thing, aside from the Hero's right forearm/hand. I think it's the foreshortening or some funny word that people more artistic than I use, but at any rate it looks too small. Fix that and it's a really fantastic picture in my book!

The antwerp looks sinister. Guess I never took a good look at them before, but I didn't notice that they had four eyes and horns until now.

Tye
Royal Servant Status

#5 Post by Tye » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:13 pm

Gronagor wrote:Cool. Yeah. I remember the first one. You posted it a while ago. The dragon really does have a personality in that one! Good job.

The antwerp I don't think you got quite right. I could be wrong, but the whole idea of an antwerp is that it is a blueish jelly-like-blob... see through. You should even be able the see his intestinals. Hey... if I'm right, you should be able to make those adjustments to your pic without a problem. As for the style and shadow/lighting of the pictures: very good!!
That's very true, at least it is concerning the Antwerp in Quest for Glory, not Heroes Quest. However, I completely forgot about the 'see through' skin on the QfG Antwerp, and I think that it would make the picture look even better, so I don't mind making those adjustments at all. Truth is, I only spent twenty minutes on the Antwerp, so the details can be so much more if I spend a little bit more time on him. Give me a few days and I'll update that picture. :)

Muadeeb
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by Muadeeb » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:13 pm

They are wonderful pictures, much better than I could envision in my own mind. It also looks like Hero's arm fades into the shield. I see where it pops out from under the cloak, but it should be a more distinct/abrupt transition into the shield. His right hand/forearm does look like it's a baby-arm.

Tye
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by Tye » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:17 am

Here's the update for the antwerp picture I drew. This would be a combination of both the clear antwerp seen in qfg1 and the antwerp seen in heroes quest.

I'll continue working on the box-art one.
Attachments

eriqchang
PR Director & Artist

#8 Post by eriqchang » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:56 pm

This is really fantastic stuff. I especially love the antwerp and your own take on Kenn Nishiuye's original cover art. Wasn't that piece fantastic? You know, back in the day when I toured Sierra's Oakhurst facility, I saw that very original airbrush art for the Hero's Quest box on his drawing table. We walked right by it. It had a vellum overlay covering it and Sue Kurtley, the customer service manager (and tour guide), lifted it to show me when I asked what it was. At the time, the game hadn't been released yet!

We are holding a contest for Quest for Glory fan artwork this coming weekend. Be sure to submit your work. You could win a Quest for Glory II large format poster.

Tye
Royal Servant Status

#9 Post by Tye » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:36 pm

Oh wow, that'd be great!
And what you said about the original airbrush painting.... all I can say is OMG. That's really freaking awesome!

Btw, what website is the contest being held on? I don't see any links for it here or on your website.

eriqchang
PR Director & Artist

#10 Post by eriqchang » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:44 pm

My dad drove us down from Yosemite and surprised my sister and I with the Sierra tour. I was car sick and remember waking up with the Sierra logo staring me in the face from outside the car. I've told this story numerous times.... long story short - I was miraculously of car sickness for the next two hours as I walked through the halls of Sierra. That was the first I had heard or seen of Hero's Quest.

Another fun tidbit... Guruka Singh Khalsa, the producer I believe? demoed the very beginning of the game for us. He looks EXACTLY like you would imagine - turban, beard, and all. It would make sense the Cole's took the next game to the desert sands. ;) He sat directly across from artist Douglas Herring who I remember had an amazing drawing of these cliffs which for some reason I have always connected to those cliffs in Space Quest 4 where you meet the Estros babes? Maybe they were already working on backgrounds for the VGA games coming up. Ahh.. I wish I could go back to those days - with a notepad and digital camera!

Regarding the contest, it will be on the new QFG2 game site coming this next weekend. Be sure to submit your fabulous artwork.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#11 Post by Gronagor » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:53 pm

Ooooh! Any rules we should know about?

Eriq, other than being a VERY talented guy, you must also be the luckiest person alive!
That must have been an experience! One you probably cherish more every day!

eriqchang
PR Director & Artist

#12 Post by eriqchang » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:20 pm

I don't think I've met anyone else who toured Sierra back in the day so I do feel very lucky.

The artwork sitting on the tables was just mind-blowing.

Rules? Hmm.. I'm not sure. I haven't completed that page just yet. ;)

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#13 Post by Gronagor » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:06 pm

Heh!

So, we'll be drawing in the dark for the next few days... oh well. :) More art-work to look at.

JonWW
Royal Servant Status

#14 Post by JonWW » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:10 pm

That's great that a QFG II poster will be given away. So does this also mean that we will be able to purchase the poster as well? And if so would it be supporting the long labor of love that will be bringing us the release of Trail by Fire in glorious VGA?

eriqchang
PR Director & Artist

#15 Post by eriqchang » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:15 pm

Unfortunately, I cannot offer the poster for sale due to licensing restrictions. It is only being offered as a giveaway. :(

JonWW
Royal Servant Status

#16 Post by JonWW » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:26 pm

I kind of figured that... :( Well I'm guessing we will all at least be able to see it on the new Quest for Glory II VGA website :D Can't wait >D

eriqchang
PR Director & Artist

#17 Post by eriqchang » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:40 pm

Yes you will! And there's lots more to see including original background artwork from the art staff and an interesting look at the new battle system.

Keep watching the teaser thread in the general forum all week.

JonWW
Royal Servant Status

#18 Post by JonWW » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:46 pm

Score :D Is the new website going to have stuff online like a bonus DVD? Or a teaser until they finally release the game....

eriqchang
PR Director & Artist

#19 Post by eriqchang » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:38 pm

yes. and if you open the box and reach inside you may win a prize!

Tye
Royal Servant Status

#20 Post by Tye » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:51 pm

*feels like a giddy school child*

Why is it that I'm more excited about this than Christmas?

I don't think I've seen any of your own artwork Eriq, but from your website and the teaser page, I believe you have quite the talent.

EDIT: Here's my newest work. It's a recreation of the victory scene in Heroes Quest. I'm not sure if it's similar to the one in QFG though, so if you don't recognize this, my apologies. :P

EDIT AGAIN: OMG it's Brendon Frazier....
Attachments

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#21 Post by Gronagor » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:46 am

Heh. Very nice. :)
Does have a hint of Brendan Fraser. Brendan Fraser in his newest movie release "Hero's Quest"! Heh.
I'm not sure whether I'd like him playing the role. :)

Tye
Royal Servant Status

#22 Post by Tye » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:10 pm

I was bored...
Attachments

eriqchang
PR Director & Artist

#23 Post by eriqchang » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:13 pm

:lol That is so cute.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#24 Post by Gronagor » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:51 pm

:lol Indeed!

Tye
Royal Servant Status

#25 Post by Tye » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:59 pm

Here's a more accurate version... QFGII...
Attachments