The QFG2 VGA Main Page

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

oughtobe

The QFG2 VGA Main Page

#1 Post by oughtobe » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:26 pm

Hello, I've been surfing this page since 2001 or so... I remember them talking about the next game their going to remake, and I was hoping it was QFG2... I always thought that QFG2 was the best game sierra made, and that it was in need of a good remake...

Could you update the statistics in the QFG2 VGA main page? Would it just say blah out of blah for everything? I'm just curious if there is any more sprites or whatever work needed on those statistics of the project...

Also is there ANY chance you guys are planning on making a remake of GOLD RUSH!? I think that is the 2nd best game sierra ever made... It's the most non linear out of all the quest games and I think it would have a huge following and people that overlooked it would be really impressed with the game and kick themselves for turning away from it...

Also, I'd like to know why you guys decided to go with the point and click version of QFG2? I really saw KQ5 as the downfall to the quest games. I just think that removing the text parsor turns the game into a series of pointing and clicking all over the screen and clicking all the items together instead of trying to logically figure out what to do... thank you for all your work, I was never really into KQ1 or KQ2, I picked up the sierra games at Hero's Quest 1, SQ3, and KQ3... I think KQ6 was the best kings quest, SQ3 best space quest , Hero's Quest 2 (QFG2) best QFG, PQ2 best police quest, LSL2 best larry quest, and I think both the Conquests were terrific, Colonel's were both great, and GOLD RUSH! deserves an honorable mention...

P.S. Does anybody know who my avatar is?

njspannaus
Peasant Status

Re: The QFG2 VGA Main Page

#2 Post by njspannaus » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:50 pm

oughtobe wrote:P.S. Does anybody know who my avatar is?
no, but i'd be up for some jousting later

--K.A.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#3 Post by Blackthorne519 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:20 am

Your avatar?

Everyone KNOWS it's the Colonel from The Colonel's Bequest. Duh.

Bt

Joseph Howse
Peasant Status

#4 Post by Joseph Howse » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:57 am

The Black Knight from Conquests of Camelot, no?

The designer of the two Conquests games, Christie Marx, has continued to write scripts for games and other media. Her website's sitemap gives an idea of some of the other work she's done:

http://www.christymarx.com/sitemap.htm

Sincerely,

Joseph

oughtobe

#5 Post by oughtobe » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:07 am

Joseph Howse wrote:
The Black Knight from Conquests of Camelot, no?

The designer of the two Conquests games, Christie Marx, has continued to write scripts for games and other media. Her website's sitemap gives an idea of some of the other work she's done:

http://www.christymarx.com/sitemap.htm

Sincerely,

Joseph

Yup, you got it...

Yea i recently checked out Christie Marx's site, I think I'm gonna buy the Conquest of Camelot poster, it only costs $20... I'd buy a longbow one too if they had one...

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#6 Post by Erpy » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:54 am

Also, I'd like to know why you guys decided to go with the point and click version of QFG2? I really saw KQ5 as the downfall to the quest games. I just think that removing the text parsor turns the game into a series of pointing and clicking all over the screen and clicking all the items together instead of trying to logically figure out what to do...
QFG2 was a good game, but it had a steep "getting-into-it"-curve. Within the first 15 minutes, a player who's used to VGA point&clickers has to adapt to 16-color graphics, a text parser (some people didn't even know how to leave the inn, since they couldn't figure out "stand") and a confusing maze of streets. It also takes the game a little while to pick up momentum. A lot of players simply gave up on it before even getting into the game. Also, as the sole remaining SCI-game in the series, it kinda stood out as the odd one out. I've read posts of people who love the QFG-series, but just never finished the second one.

As for the stats, here's what's in the game currently:

Total sprites: 12859/30000
Sprite folders: 163/500
Total views: 428/600
Total GUI's: 50/50
GUI buttons: 226
GUI labels: 156
GUI sliders: 9
GUI textboxes: 13
GUI listboxes: 6
Inventory items: 103/300
Characters: 119/300
Dialog topics: 376/500
Dialog messages: 924/3000

Chester
Peasant Status

#7 Post by Chester » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:07 pm

Just a quick question, and please don't think this is in anyway a moan or anything like that. I've said before the work you guys do is fantastic. I guess it's more that I don't understand, Epyr, you said:
Epyr
As for the stats, here's what's in the game currently:

Total sprites: 12859/30000
Sprite folders: 163/500
Total views: 428/600
Total GUI's: 50/50
GUI buttons: 226
GUI labels: 156
GUI sliders: 9
GUI textboxes: 13
GUI listboxes: 6
Inventory items: 103/300
Characters: 119/300
Dialog topics: 376/500
Dialog messages: 924/3000
Is this normal for a game seemingly close to release? I read that as being you've got another 17141 sprites left to draw... and 2076 dialog messages to enter etc... or have I got it all wrong. As i said this isn't a complaint by any stretch of the imagination, just ignorance :D (but at least i can acknowledge the ignorance:)
Thanks, and great work guys.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#8 Post by navynuke04 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:26 pm

The first number is how many are in the game. The second number is how many the engine will actually allow you to have before you reach its limits.
For instance, if we got up close to 30000 sprites, we'd have to ask Chris Jones to upgrade AGS in order to raise this limitation.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#9 Post by Gronagor » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:27 pm

No, I think that means the number of images/objects out of the maximum number that can be handled by the AGS engin.
Remember, they get those stats from AGS itself.

edit: crap. Navy got there before me.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#10 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:28 pm

Heck, if we still had THAT many requirements to fulfill, I think I'd even throw in the towel right about now. :lol

What you see above is what you get. None of those values on the left are likely to rise any higher before the final release of the game.

techie775
Knight Status

#11 Post by techie775 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:35 pm

Erpy wrote:
Also, I'd like to know why you guys decided to go with the point and click version of QFG2? I really saw KQ5 as the downfall to the quest games. I just think that removing the text parsor turns the game into a series of pointing and clicking all over the screen and clicking all the items together instead of trying to logically figure out what to do...

QFG2 was a good game, but it had a steep "getting-into-it"-curve. Within the first 15 minutes, a player who's used to VGA point&clickers has to adapt to 16-color graphics, a text parser (some people didn't even know how to leave the inn, since they couldn't figure out "stand") and a confusing maze of streets. It also takes the game a little while to pick up momentum. A lot of players simply gave up on it before even getting into the game. Also, as the sole remaining SCI-game in the series, it kinda stood out as the odd one out. I've read posts of people who love the QFG-series, but just never finished the second one.
I never had that problem since I grew up parsers and the keyboard. Hero's Quest aka Quest for Glory I was my first adventure game so I got the hang of parser pretty quickly, so by the time I got to two I was worried more about the maze of streets instead of figuring out how to stand. Quest for Glory III took a little figuring out cause it was my first adventure game with icons but it wasn't too difficult for me. It's interesting to hear people have had problems with a parser and I'll admit some of the puzzles in qfg2 I needed to cheat to know what exactly to type in.

SSH
Peasant Status

#12 Post by SSH » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:59 pm

Of course, the latest version of AGS has:
unlimited characters
unlimited views
unlimited GUIs
unlimited loops per view
unlimited frames per loop

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#13 Post by Gronagor » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:15 pm

urgh... please don't start something! QfG2 is so close now, you don't want them to have to go through all the testing again simply because of a 'minor' upgrade. :p

Welcome to our little hiding place SSH. Hope you find a lot here to blog about. :D

RC-Cola
Peasant Status

#14 Post by RC-Cola » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:16 pm

techie775 wrote:I never had that problem since I grew up parsers and the keyboard. Hero's Quest aka Quest for Glory I was my first adventure game so I got the hang of parser pretty quickly, so by the time I got to two I was worried more about the maze of streets instead of figuring out how to stand. Quest for Glory III took a little figuring out cause it was my first adventure game with icons but it wasn't too difficult for me. It's interesting to hear people have had problems with a parser and I'll admit some of the puzzles in qfg2 I needed to cheat to know what exactly to type in.
I think one's previous gaming experience can have an effect on your QFG2 experience. Sometimes I feel spoiled by this game. It's actually the first real computer game I ever played (aside from computer chess and some ASCII-based games), and I was young and impressionable at the time, like 9 or 10 years old. So with no expectations, and my older brother to help me with the quests, nothing in this game seemed wrong or unnatural to me, and the game's interesting and enchanting setting drew me right in. It was quite an engrossing, fulfilling experience! I wish games could feel like that again, but nothing has captivated me in the last few years.

Chester
Peasant Status

#15 Post by Chester » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:08 pm

Gotcha, that makes a whole lotta sense, thanks...

and folks I don't care if i type or click, I just can't wait for this game. You guys are awesome. If you want one, and i ever have one, you can have my first born...:D (probably)

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#16 Post by Gronagor » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:29 pm

You guys are awesome. If you want one, and i ever have one, you can have my first born...:D ...
:eek ... and you said that with a smile!! :eek

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#17 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:04 pm

Believe me, you won't give it away that easy.

SSH
Peasant Status

#18 Post by SSH » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:16 pm

Gronagor wrote:urgh... please don't start something! QfG2 is so close now, you don't want them to have to go through all the testing again simply because of a 'minor' upgrade.
Well, upgrading QFG2VGA to the new 1024x768 mode would be pretty minor ;)

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#19 Post by Gronagor » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:24 pm

Shhhhhhhhht, I said!!!

Although... that would be perfect for my computer at work!
No, what I'm saying?!

Be quiet, you!

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#20 Post by Spikey » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:40 pm

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:Heck, if we still had THAT many requirements to fulfill, I think I'd even throw in the towel right about now. :lol

What you see above is what you get. None of those values on the left are likely to rise any higher before the final release of the game.
Please don't start throwing with towels. If I can't play Qfg2vga before I die, I'll kill myself. Ambiguous.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#21 Post by Brainiac » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:45 pm

Spikey wrote:Please don't start throwing with towels.
Better than throwing fish, eh Spikey? :lol

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#22 Post by Spikey » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:03 pm

You aren't referring to trouts in particular, hmm?

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#23 Post by Brainiac » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:39 pm

Spikey wrote:You aren't referring to trouts in particular, hmm?
Never. As I've said so often before, there are far too many fish in the sea.

<juggles halibut, anglerfish, tuna, swordfish, shark, and lungfish, among others>

Good to see you around again, by the way.

Kloreep
Knight Status

#24 Post by Kloreep » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:19 am

Erpy wrote:(some people didn't even know how to leave the inn, since they couldn't figure out "stand")
:lol Ah yes, my first trouble with the game... what do you mean you don't understand "get up," you stupid parser. I also had trouble learning to "unmount" my saurus, as you certainly can't "unride" it. In hindsight it was rather comical, wandering around unable to get off of the big green beast.

I did go on to finish the game though, and I was glad I did.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#25 Post by Gronagor » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:19 am

LOL! You know... if you read what the guard told you, it would have been pretty obvious. :) "Please dismount the Saurus before entering the city...." or something like that! :rollin