AGD Interactive is looking for people to help host our games

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

Re: AGD Interactive is looking for people to help host our games

#26 Post by Angelus3K » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:49 pm

AsianMusicGuy wrote:Because I offered yesterday and i just wanted to know if my space and bandwidth were up to par
Every offer is appreciated and the team will contact the people who best suit the needs of efficently distributing the game. ;)

kosch
Royal Servant Status

#27 Post by kosch » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:33 am

why not use apache? :)

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#28 Post by DrJones » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:08 am

kosch wrote:why not use apache? :)
The bandwidth of smoke signals is a bit low.

gamecreator
Knight Status

#29 Post by gamecreator » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:41 pm

DrJones wrote:
kosch wrote:why not use apache? :)
The bandwidth of smoke signals is a bit low.
Ok, that was f***ing awesome! :lol :rollin

kosch
Royal Servant Status

#30 Post by kosch » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:46 am

heh, i host my site on apache. yah its a bit slow, but its better than nothing dont u think?

Sierra-X
Peasant Status

#31 Post by Sierra-X » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:34 am

kosch wrote:heh, i host my site on apache. yah its a bit slow, but its better than nothing dont u think?
I think *whoosh* is appropriate here.

ender-01
Peasant Status

#32 Post by ender-01 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:32 pm

About that Bittorrent suggestion, perhaps "bittorrent" itself isn't a good idea, but the (or similar) technology is good enough for Blizzard and many others.

I don't know if someone makes a open-source version of something like the downloading software Blizzard uses, but if that's allowed in the license you'd be able to get the benefits of a torrent without it having to be a torrent. Something to look in to perhaps.

I'd offer my bandwidth if I thought it could be useful (300 GBs/month), but my server does tend to temporarily shut down for a few hours any accounts pulling huge amounts of simultaneous connections. It'd probably work ok past the first day when the demand isn't through the roof!

Edit:

Oh that reminds me of my other idea. Amazon's S3 technology. It's something like .15cents per Gig of storage a month (which you'd probably just need 1), and then around .17 cents per gig downloaded. I'm pretty sure it can take absolutely any load, and once you get past a certain point it gets cheaper too. I guess depending on the size and budget, it's another possibility to consider.

You probably can't use places like fileplanet or gamershell I'm guessing, but there's sites like that too.
Last edited by ender-01 on Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#33 Post by Erpy » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:34 pm

I think we have enough mirror offers by now to make it through the initial spike without too much trouble.

ender-01
Peasant Status

#34 Post by ender-01 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:36 pm

Great, I'm glad to hear that! I just wanted to help with some ideas, I'm happy to see you have it under control.

Paladin
Peasant Status

#35 Post by Paladin » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:46 am

When are the hosters going to be informed? And will they be informed if their service isn't needed? Since the game will be released in a few days (just lemme hope ;) ), they should get some time to set everything up. Just asking because I didn't get any reply to my mirror offer from over two weeks ago, but plan to go on holiday for the rest of the month on the day after tomorrow.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#36 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:55 am

We'll ask all the server owners to get the game uploaded on the day before the release. We'll let them know to be on standby for that day to receive a download link to the file. Unfortunately, we can't upload the files far in advance of the release date, due to the risk of them being leaked. Can you please send another email to the AGDI email address mentioned in the first post, and let me know which server offer was yours? I'll reply to you via email. Thanks.

Paladin
Peasant Status

#37 Post by Paladin » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:11 pm

There goes my chance to play the game early ;) .

No, just kidding. I thought so that you will upload the game very close to the release, that's why I asked, so we can figure out if it fits into my holiday plans.

Mail sent.

ftr
Peasant Status

#38 Post by ftr » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:51 am

Hello im new here , but im a really qfg fan, im 28 years old and i just recently heard about the qgf2 remake, i do got a website with unlimited bandwith, and unlimited gb on it, if u want to test the speed i can give u a link to the direct site where i host the files and i got 2 videos there of the game l2 (actually playing it) and i would love to help u guys out with ur files, im just honored to help some peeps who are qgf fans, Old school games ftw.

Heres the link, test download speed , the host file server is on apache system but there shouldnt be any problem at all.

http://users.interconnect.net/forsaken/

just contact me for any information u need.

Have a good day.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#39 Post by Erpy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:25 pm

Over 5100 downloads in less than 12 hours already. I'm very happy we've received so many hosting offers or the servers would have been dead in the water already by now.

Thanks again everyone.

oxygen1234
Peasant Status

#40 Post by oxygen1234 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:29 pm

Erpy wrote:Over 5100 downloads in less than 12 hours already.
Nice!

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#41 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:09 pm

Yup, thanks for all the mirror offers everyone!

To ftr (or anyone else who still wants to offer server space): Simply download the latest release of the Qfg2vga10.exe file from our website, re-upload it to your own server, re-download it again, and install it to check that it downloads and runs properly without any errors.

Then simply contact us at AGDInteractive@gmail.com with the heading "AGDI: Mirror Offer" and give us the direct link to the game file on your server. We'll get it added to the list.

Additionally, you'd need to add the game to its own directory and make certain that search engine crawlers cannot access the directory and display the file in search engine results. You can put a robot.txt file in the directory to prevent this. Also, please be aware that you can't post the links anywhere else on the web. According to our Vivendi agreement, they are strictly only permitted to be accessible from our downloads page.

If you're okay with all of that, please feel free to send us an email with the direct URL to the game link. We currently have 41 mirrors up and running, but more can never hurt. Thanks!

hypn
Royal Servant Status

#42 Post by hypn » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:42 am

I was going to mail you guys again, but figure I've spammed you guys enough :P

I've got some PHP code that you could use to make your webserver check that your mirror URLs are working, and that the file size is - so you could run a daily/weekly check, and weed out any servers that are broken.

Let me know if you want it :)