Attention Lurkers who recently registered but were lurking..

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

oughtobe

Attention Lurkers who recently registered but were lurking..

#1 Post by oughtobe » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:35 am

for years and years...

I've been lurking for the past 6 years at least, Ever since it was still Tierra, I think KQ1 was done, KQ1VGA+ i think was just finished and KQ2VGA was about to be released... does anybody know what year that was? It was maybe a year to 6 months before QFG2VGA was announced, I think.

Also I was wondering how many other new members fit the same mold, has anybody been lurking longer than me without posting? please post here and say how long you have been lurking until you finally registered...

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

Re: Attention Lurkers who recently registered but were lurking..

#2 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:49 am

I haven't been lurking but I thought I'd point out that there is no KQ1VGA+.

Skunk
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Skunk » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:58 pm

I have lurked.... for maybe over a year... maybe....

arganite
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by arganite » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:20 pm

MusicallyInspired wrote:I haven't been lurking but I thought I'd point out that there is no KQ1VGA+.
:eek Since when?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#5 Post by Erpy » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:26 pm

The plus indicated the radical remake treatment KQ2 got. KQ1VGA never got this story/gameplay makeover, hence there's no KQ1VGA+.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#6 Post by DrJones » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:33 pm

arganite wrote:
MusicallyInspired wrote:I haven't been lurking but I thought I'd point out that there is no KQ1VGA+.
:eek Since when?
The + stands for "extended". The King's Quest 2 VGA remake got a lot of new things, but the first game is more or less the same than the original EGA version, and thus doesn't have the + appended.

EDIT: Erpy is lightning fast!

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#7 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:43 pm

I joined Feb 2003 but had been lurking since before KQ1VGA came out.

I still remember when Erpy was a mere forum member lol!

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#8 Post by navynuke04 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:53 pm

I lurked for a while, but then got interested enough to start participating. I felt guilty that the AGD's were having to support the forums finacially while they were still at EZBoard. I donated a few times, but eventually proposed a plan to migrate to phpBB. The AGD's took me up on my offer, and here I am.

The highlight of my AGDI experience was my trip to Arizona in 2005. I met up with AGD1, AGD2, and Erpy for about a week. We even had the opportunity to drive out to California and meet Eriq. I remember mentioning to AGD1 and AGD2 that it was like meeting legends. They both thought that was funny.

Then they tried to kill me by marching me to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back. :x

arganite
Royal Servant Status

#9 Post by arganite » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:54 pm

Erpy wrote:The plus indicated the radical remake treatment KQ2 got. KQ1VGA never got this story/gameplay makeover, hence there's no KQ1VGA+.

Ahh I see, I thought the + was irrelevant/typo, but seemingly not.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#10 Post by Fribbi » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:57 pm

It is almost 7 years now since I started lurking around here hehe. :rollin I started to come here in may or was it in the end of April. But I don't think Tierra had a forums in the beginning only a announce page about he Royal Quest. I still remember I e-mailed AGDI chick nr 1 a lot before the forums came up and we talked a lot about games and we talked a lot about ideas what she and her little team should try to receate after Royal Quest and one of them I named to her was Quest for glory 2. I still don't know if I am the godfather of that idea about making Quest for glory 2 hehehe.

But anyway I'm still here, 7 year older still the same playing lots of game with no shame and was almost fame, but I was lame, so forget my name hehehe.
Last edited by Fribbi on Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#11 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:03 pm

navynuke04 wrote:I lurked for a while, but then got interested enough to start participating. I felt guilty that the AGD's were having to support the forums finacially while they were still at EZBoard. I donated a few times, but eventually proposed a plan to migrate to phpBB. The AGD's took me up on my offer, and here I am.

The highlight of my AGDI experience was my trip to Arizona in 2005. I met up with AGD1, AGD2, and Erpy for about a week. We even had the opportunity to drive out to California and meet Eriq. I remember mentioning to AGD1 and AGD2 that it was like meeting legends. They both thought that was funny.

Then they tried to kill me by marching me to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back. :x
That reminds me of the time Deb and I met up with Erpy and AGD1 and stayed at Erpy's house for a couple nights, we had a great time and even went to the Efteling which I still think was better than Disney Land Paris!!

I'm still struggling with the epic hours long battle Erpy and I had on Street Fighter II which Erpy managed to edge out the win!

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#12 Post by navynuke04 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:27 pm

Angelus3K wrote:I'm still struggling with the epic hours long battle Erpy and I had on Street Fighter II which Erpy managed to edge out the win!
Just don't get into a Commander Keen battle with Erpy. He's logged way more hours on that than you could imagine. :)

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#13 Post by Erpy » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:57 pm

I joined Feb 2003 but had been lurking since before KQ1VGA came out.

I still remember when Erpy was a mere forum member lol!
Yeah, that was in late 2001/early 2002. I never really lurked here. Once I got here, I started participating in whatever I could and I don't think I ever stopped.
I still don't know if I am the godfather of that idea about making Quest for glory 2 hehehe.
I think AGD2 was the one to initially take the initiative to start the project.
That reminds me of the time Deb and I met up with Erpy and AGD1 and stayed at Erpy's house for a couple nights, we had a great time and even went to the Efteling which I still think was better than Disney Land Paris!!

I'm still struggling with the epic hours long battle Erpy and I had on Street Fighter II which Erpy managed to edge out the win!
navynuke04 wrote:I lurked for a while, but then got interested enough to start participating. I felt guilty that the AGD's were having to support the forums finacially while they were still at EZBoard. I donated a few times, but eventually proposed a plan to migrate to phpBB. The AGD's took me up on my offer, and here I am.

That was the perfect day. Great weather, fun amusement park, non-existent queues (trust me, usually you get to wait 40 minutes instead of 5 for each ride), dutch pancakes and computer games.
Just don't get into a Commander Keen battle with Erpy. He's logged way more hours on that than you could imagine
I like the occasional classic platformer and beat-em-up as much as the occasional classic adventure. That's probably why Qfg2vga's battle system became slightly more fast-paced and slightly less hold-the-attack-button-until-you-winnish.
Then they tried to kill me by marching me to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back
I wonder if I'm the only person who thought that was really irresponsible in retrospect. :)
I felt guilty that the AGD's were having to support the forums finacially while they were still at EZBoard. I donated a few times, but eventually proposed a plan to migrate to phpBB.
Shudder, yeah, imagine if we had to pay that hefty sum each 3 months for all those years...EZ really got rich off us.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#14 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:01 pm

How could I forget about the Pannenkoken (dutch pancakes)!!!! Best I've ever had!!

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#15 Post by navynuke04 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:12 pm

Erpy wrote:I wonder if I'm the only person who thought that was really irresponsible in retrospect. :)
Nope. My legs still hurt when I think about it.

But, "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger", "no pain, no gain", "no guts, no glory", insert more appropriate sayings here... :)

Kloreep
Knight Status

#16 Post by Kloreep » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:27 pm

Are you implying, navynuke, that Erpy has ensured that the combat in QFG2VGA, one of my favorite games, has been merged with that of Commander Keen, THE game that introduced me to games? My anticipation for QFG2VGA just went up a couple dozen notches. :eek ;)

(I realize it's not going to be a sidescroller, but on a serious note, it's always good to hear how the combat has been improved.)

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#17 Post by Erpy » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:58 pm

Heavens no, combat is still a lot like the classic qfg2 combat system in terms of looks and feel...it's just a tad more in-depth.

Kloreep
Knight Status

#18 Post by Kloreep » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:28 am

Yes, I realize that would be far too much of a departure. ;) It would have been pretty funny to see the hero pull out a pogo stick, though. :lol

Nobara
Peasant Status

#19 Post by Nobara » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:32 am

Kloreep wrote:It would have been pretty funny to see the hero pull out a pogo stick, though.
I'd laugh!

It's funny this was brought up - I was just reminiscing about Commander Keen 4 with a friend the other day. Years and years ago, I had a friend who used to Beta for Apogee, and he eventually got a Dopefish tattoo.

Anyway, I've been lurking here for 6 years, just registered a few minutes ago. I never bothered before because unlike most people, I am more shy online than I am in RL. Heh. But now the excitement around the imminent release of QfG2VGA has gotten to be too much for me to resist.

Pablo Gonzalo
Peasant Status

#20 Post by Pablo Gonzalo » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:05 am

I had an older account, but something or other happened and I made a new one (this one), which I hardly ever log in to. I used to post a little, then I started lurking, then I just sporadically dropped by.

(I'm Druss/Gonchi in case anyone is wondering who I am, though I don't know if those names still mean anything to anyone any more. It's really been a long time since I've been active in a forum)

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#21 Post by navynuke04 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:16 pm

Kloreep wrote:Are you implying, navynuke, that Erpy has ensured that the combat in QFG2VGA, one of my favorite games, has been merged with that of Commander Keen, THE game that introduced me to games? My anticipation for QFG2VGA just went up a couple dozen notches. :eek ;)

(I realize it's not going to be a sidescroller, but on a serious note, it's always good to hear how the combat has been improved.)
No, but you might be able to find Keen influences in the final act of Al Emmo. I believe much Keen was played during the making of that act. :)

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#22 Post by Erpy » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:21 pm

No Commander Keen in Qfg2vga, though there is a cameo of another classic game I used to love playing.

JonWW
Royal Servant Status

#23 Post by JonWW » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:08 pm

Erpy wrote:No Commander Keen in Qfg2vga, though there is a cameo of another classic game I used to love playing.

Is there a possibility of remake of that game?

PotatoSlayer
Knight Status

#24 Post by PotatoSlayer » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:15 pm

You know it would be really sick if everyone who's been here for awhile could all get together, but that's probally pretty impossible considering how spread out everyone is.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#25 Post by Spikey » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:47 pm

Erpy wrote:No Commander Keen in Qfg2vga, though there is a cameo of another classic game I used to love playing.

Crystal Caves?