Has anyone played Dracula Origin?

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Smackbuggy
Peasant Status

Has anyone played Dracula Origin?

#1 Post by Smackbuggy » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:02 pm

Dracula origin was an adventure game I was semi-excited about when I saw it on gamespot.com (I was amazed a new adventure game found it's way onto that page too). I got it and I must admit it is pretty good. It is a strange retelling of bram stoker's dracula, mixed with a bunch of other legends and stories. The presentation is what reminds me most of bram stoker's Dracula though, as a large portion of the clues and story are written in letters and notes and such you collect. Some of the first puzzles in the game where very good and made sense in the story, and where fairly difficult untill you got the hang of it. Unfortunately the more I got through the game the more far fetched the puzzles became and the more ridiculous they where. I started to question the sanity of the puzzles when a theif in egypt had some kind of crazy puzzle for the door on his house. Also the main character seems to like to steal things from people's houses. As long as "this could be useful" it appeared anything was fair game. I was amazed that I had to steal items from a merchant to do some of the quests. Not pay for it. Not even talk to the guy (because he spoke egyption and you didn't understand a word he was saying). Just grabs it off the counter and leaves. Apparently the merchant did not mind either. I started to question the guy's ethics once he stole a bunch of stuff from a museum because it was useful too :p

Anyway, anyone else play this game? Thoughts? :) Just trying to stir up some discussion to pass the time until you-know-what ;)

Dasilva
Peasant Status

Re: Has anyone played Dracula Origin?

#2 Post by Dasilva » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:23 pm

It's made by the same people that made the Sherlock Holmes games I think, and they were pretty good. I've bought Dracula Origin but haven't played it yet. Its gotten great reviews. :)

kosch
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by kosch » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:17 pm

woah. this game looks wicked! I've always wanted to play a bram stoker's dracula point and click game... Would be better in 256 colors though. the 3D thing is just not for me.

Smackbuggy
Peasant Status

#4 Post by Smackbuggy » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:14 pm

kosch wrote:woah. this game looks wicked! I've always wanted to play a bram stoker's dracula point and click game... Would be better in 256 colors though. the 3D thing is just not for me.
It's not exactly 3d. They render the game with 3d models and such but you still move around in a 2d fashion (IE: you can't rotate the camera for different views of any 1 scene. It has different areas like classic adventure games when walking around things). But yeah it has a more modern feel to it.

An example of the only gripe I have about the game:

<Van Helsing sees a golden statuette from an archaeological dig sitting on the museum manager's table>
"This looks useful. I'll take it!"
<Puts statuette in his bag>
<Manager doesn't care>

kosch
Royal Servant Status

#5 Post by kosch » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:56 pm

haha. i remember final fantasy 2. you could take anything from peoples houses and they would still be friendly to you. :)

ovulator
Peasant Status

#6 Post by ovulator » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:29 pm

I picked this game up, it was worth the $19 bucks I guess...

It has the gameplay of point and click adventure with none of the story, wit or humor.

Some of the "puzzles" are nonesense. I'll capture these flys in a jar, oh can't do that, you've got to capture them with a veil first then put them in the jar, makes sense. You've got to makesure you hover over everything less you miss that item hidden into the background in the corner of the screen that you will need.

Hey look, a door I will go through there. Main Character: "Closed!". That's great, so open it...

AlcoholicPenguin
Peasant Status

#7 Post by AlcoholicPenguin » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:19 am

Hello everyone, long-time lurker, first time poster.
kosch wrote:haha. i remember final fantasy 2. you could take anything from peoples houses and they would still be friendly to you. :)
Heh, that's what I always loved about the old school RPG's: You barge into people's houses without knocking, steal all their items, open all their cupboards, smash all their pots, interrupt whatever they're doing to ask questions, then leave without saying goodbye or thank you. :)

kosch
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by kosch » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:18 am

does anyone remember that old blade runner game for PC. I had it when it came out, thought it was awesome :)

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#9 Post by Angelus3K » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:00 am

kosch wrote:does anyone remember that old blade runner game for PC. I had it when it came out, thought it was awesome :)
Yea I've still got that, was on 4 CDs, released by EA I think. Great game.

JustLuke32
Royal Servant Status

#10 Post by JustLuke32 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:07 pm

Dracula Origin is awful. The reason I say this is because the writing (the prose and the dialogue, and the way that they work together to progress the plot and to convey character and meaning) is excruciatingly amaturish. Characterisation is poor; plot development is poor; dialogue is poor; the language is a haphazard mix between British and American English, which is bizarre given the time period in which the game is set. Unfortunately, this a problem that plagues 99.9% of adventure games these days.

It's weird. Why do developers think that anyone who can string together a sentence or two can competently and professionally write fiction? Writing is a skill that takes specific knowledge, talent, and experience, just like programming, art, design, music, or dramatic performance does.

Ugh - sorry for the digression - it's one of my pet annoyances.

kosch
Royal Servant Status

#11 Post by kosch » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:42 pm

dracula origins does not run at all in parallels on my mac. the screen turns white and there are some funny english accents and then the game stops working. :/ On a real pc it's not a terribly bad game. It's a little confusing. the puzzles don't really make a whole lot of sense. the Graphics are really impressive. And the music is pretty good. Maybe if i can get passed this weird grave yard puzzle it could turn out to be a great game.

Blade runner is much better so far though.