How do you improve Intelligence and luck

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

cyberdalekyeti
Royal Servant Status

How do you improve Intelligence and luck

#1 Post by cyberdalekyeti » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:13 pm

Hi i have played all 5 Quest for Glory games but i have always had a tough time improving both Intelligence and Luck skills.
And i will play them again does anybody have any recommendations on what is the best way to improve both Intelligence and Luck Skills and will it be easier on the remake ?
At least on the 2nd game i always wish for Intelligence and Luck.

John

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: How do you improve Intelligence and luck

#2 Post by Erpy » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:23 pm

Spellcasting is usually the best way, followed by lockpicking practice. If all else failse, try dodging/parrying a lot in battle.

Sandsai
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Sandsai » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:33 pm

In QFG1 Luck could be brought up by playing the dagger throwing game with the chief. But intelligence is a grind because it requires casting or lock picking, as Erpy indicated. Try picking your nose maybe?

Kloreep
Knight Status

#4 Post by Kloreep » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:48 pm

Intelligence is really hard to raise for pure Fighters. As Erpy says, dodging and parrying a lot is the only way if you don't have thief/mage skills.

I've never hard to much trouble raising luck, it usually seems to keep on track with my other skills, so I just practice other stuff. Mind you, I'm not fanatical about maxing that one out; but I often do anyway, just out of, well, luck. ;)

cyberdalekyeti
Royal Servant Status

#5 Post by cyberdalekyeti » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:12 pm

Ok i guess i will try all that thanks everyone.

John

techie775
Knight Status

#6 Post by techie775 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:05 pm

I thought you could raise Intelligence by asking a lot of questions to everyone you could to know your environment. Cause in QFG1 you didn't get the Communication Stat but there has to be some stat benefit to talking to people. That might not be true but it made the most sense to me . I didn't know about dodge 'n parry. I never understood luck.
Last edited by techie775 on Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#7 Post by Brainiac » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:15 pm

Intelligence is a pain for Fighters (and Paladins to an extent). Basically, without magic or Thief skills, proper actions in combat (dodging, parrying, and attacking at appropriate times) are probably the most constant way to improve. Any available games of intellect (like, say, Awari with Yesusfu in QfG3 or the WIT competition in QfG2) or complex puzzles within the game itself can often boost Intelligence when completed as well.

Luck is, appropriately, rather random. Almost anything can improve it over time; Thief Skills in particular are good for this. However, a few games are known to be a bit stingy with Luck points - 3 and 4 are the biggest offenders as I recall.

Sandsai
Peasant Status

#8 Post by Sandsai » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:42 pm

What are the mechanics behind luck anyway? If the QfG remake team could give some insight it would be much appreciated.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#9 Post by Erpy » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:36 am

Luck plays a role in determining the accuracy of your attacks and it used to play a role in determining the likelyhood of an enemy attack not hitting you as well. In both cases, the role it played was very minimal. In addition, it played a role with stat-based situations. With high luck, you were more likely to succeed when attempting to, say, climb a tree or pick a lock. It's never been a massively influous stat.

Groveborn1234
Peasant Status

#10 Post by Groveborn1234 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:57 pm

If you aren't a spellcaster, then intelligence is a wasted skill. It doesn't benefit you an iota. If you ARE a spellcaster, just cast spells.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#11 Post by Erpy » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:40 am

Like luck, it helps you a little bit in landing hits and avoiding enemy blows, but not as much as, say, agility.