KQ 8 remake perhaps????

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

FatherGhostface
Defense Minister Status

KQ 8 remake perhaps????

#1 Post by FatherGhostface » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:19 pm

Well let's be honest, KQ8 was a disappointment, I would find cool if someone made it into a VGA Styled game instead. Just to give ideas to aspiring game designers OR AGDI should they be looking for another idea for a game.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

Re: KQ 8 remake perhaps????

#2 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:28 am

You've been here long enough to know that that's as unlikely as making a VGA version of QFG5, or remaking KQ5 just to take out the dead ends, or QFG4 for the bugs.

As for someone else making it, I'd rather see something original. MOE was not particularly meant to be a part of the KQ series per se and on its own it's a fine game. Just leave it be. If anything I'd like to see it remade with the Oblivion engine :evil .

Alliance
Knight Status

#3 Post by Alliance » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:48 pm

I disagree, KQ8 was a terrible way to end the series.

On the other hand: without such a terrible ending game, there would never have been a chance for The Silver Lining to occur. And look at THAT community, it's wonderful.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#4 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:34 pm

Alliance wrote:I disagree, KQ8 was a terrible way to end the series.
I never said it was a good way to end the series. What I said was that it wasn't meant to be a part of the series at all per se. Which means it's not King's Quest 8 and it's not the end of the series.
On the other hand: without such a terrible ending game, there would never have been a chance for The Silver Lining to occur. And look at THAT community, it's wonderful.
That's debatable.

Hollister
Peasant Status

#5 Post by Hollister » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:58 am

Actually, I have a very concrete narrative story that irons out a lot of the crappyness of MoE. One of the biggest mistakes was introducing this all-powerful artifact that everyone knows about except...well, everyone. By explaining it a little better, and fitting it in to the world properly, it makes a lot more sense.

I'd love to make it into a game, but I can't even get my team to work on the original game we're doing already. Geez. Maybe I'll just finish it and release it as a fan fic, its almost as long as The Flying Castle (that KQ book starring Alex).

Dasilva
Peasant Status

#6 Post by Dasilva » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:03 am

I don't understand people who want remakes of QFG5 and KQ8. To me QFG5 was one of the best QFG games, there is just so much good about that game, how it ties everything up. Do people dislike it because the combat is more complex? I thought the combat system was fun and I had no problems with it. QFG5 will always have a special place in my heart because of the humour, beautiful graphics, great voice work and not to mention the soundtrack I still play to this day!

And KQ8, wasen't a sequel to KQ7. I consider KQ:MoE to be a spin-off, because thats what it is really. Its like having a fresh start or series reboot, which was needed after the dissapointment of KQ7. So take KQ:MoE for what it is, its a nice RPG. :P Thats just my view on things anyway.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#7 Post by Spikey » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:32 am

I like all Qfgs, including 5. However, I do think that the stand-alone value of Qfg5 is low story-wise, a lot of it is only fun if you played the other games.

All our opinions aside, KQ8 was used to measure the popularity of the franchise, no matter how inaccurate. It's not like there is suddenly was no demand for a King's Quest point and click anymore, it was just never tried with King's Quest anymore. I remember KQ7 peaking at number one of the PC Games top 10 here in the Netherlands...

Sure, Qfg and Gabriel Knight had their moments of fame, but I've always felt they were in the wake of the grander stream of adventure games by Sierra, a stream fronted by series like King's Quest and Space Quest. All those series together were very profitable, and fueled sales of each other.

Just a few point and clicks here and there, like GK3 and Qfg5 in combination with cancellations (like Space Quest) and odd departures (like KQ8), just wasn't profitable. =S I'm certain if they fired up all those series at once, they would be profitable again.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#8 Post by Angelus3K » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:31 am

I see that Vampyre Story is looking to try something new, its been hyped for years and on Amazon.co.uk its only £14.99 so hopefully they can put those 2 factors together and try and crack the market with point and click adventures again!

Hopefully the perfect transition the Wii offers will also bring about a ressurection!!

adeyke

#9 Post by adeyke » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:07 pm

Dasilva wrote:I don't understand people who want remakes of QFG5 and KQ8. To me QFG5 was one of the best QFG games, there is just so much good about that game, how it ties everything up. Do people dislike it because the combat is more complex? I thought the combat system was fun and I had no problems with it. QFG5 will always have a special place in my heart because of the humour, beautiful graphics, great voice work and not to mention the soundtrack I still play to this day!
What annoys me most about QfG5 is that it doesn't work. I can't get it to run at all on my current computer (and I am aware of the unofficial patch; it doesn't work for me.)

That aside, I think there are some big problems with QfG5. The graphics are a big step backwards, IMHO. While the backgrounds are nice, the characters have very few polygons and a very low texture resolution. That is, they went from a very developed medium to a very new, unrefined one, and it shows. Most notably, compare the dialogue pictures of QfG4 and QfG5. The former are beautiful pictures that cover half the screen, while the latter are tiny plastic-looking faces stuck to the side of the screen. I really can't see that as a step forward.

As for the plot and gameplay, it just diverges significantly from the rest of the series. For the most part, QfG5 is not the story about a valiant Hero saving the land, but the story of a competition between several Heroes trying to out-Hero each other. And there was an emphasis on acquiring fancy equipment, carrying loot to town to sell, and wooing the woman of your choice, none of which were previously part of QfG.

As for the combat, it is nice that you can fight multiple opponents at once, something that hadn't happened in previous games. Other than that, though, the combat was quite unsophisticated compared to the others. Keyboard control is very awkward, since it's hard to even know you're facing the monster. So for the most part, combat just involves repeatedly clicking the monsters with the mouse. It's also the only game in which you can use pills/potions during combat, so the fights aren't decided so much by skill and stats as they are by pill/potion reserves.

It does tie up loose ends, but the way it does so seems rather contrived. There are ridiculously many characters from previous games (I count at least a dozen), many in prominent roles. And some of the characters' presence in QfG5 was just disappointing. A lot of them just lost a lot of depth there.

With that said, I'd still totally replay QfG5 if I could. I did have some fun playing it, even though it was so different from the rest of the series.
And KQ8, wasen't a sequel to KQ7. I consider KQ:MoE to be a spin-off, because thats what it is really. Its like having a fresh start or series reboot, which was needed after the dissapointment of KQ7. So take KQ:MoE for what it is, its a nice RPG. :P Thats just my view on things anyway.
I think there are only four things MoE has in common with KQ: the name, portraits of the king and queen in the castle, the name "Daventry," and Roberta Williams' name in the credits. If those four things were removed, I think no one would even think to group it with the KQ series. So even calling it a spin-off is being generous.

And it's not just that it's unrelated to the KQ games; it's also that it's bad. I'm not an adventure game purist. I like some RPGs and action games. I have no problem with playing good adventure/RPG/action hybrids. MoE isn't among those.

Fender178
Knight Status

#10 Post by Fender178 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:49 pm

Well to me Kq7 wasnt a disappointment as far as story plot is concerned but I wasnt too keen on the idea of them using Disney style graphics. KQ8 how ever was a disappointment either as a spinoff or as a kq game it didnt fit in with the KQ style of adventure game of the previous 7. The RPG/adventure elements worked for the QFG games but they shouldnt have tried that with KQ. Even though KQ8 MOE sold very well at that time period. I was disappointed of the ending of MOE they should have added more to it.

Dasilva
Peasant Status

#11 Post by Dasilva » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:36 pm

adeyke wrote:What annoys me most about QfG5 is that it doesn't work. I can't get it to run at all on my current computer (and I am aware of the unofficial patch; it doesn't work for me.).
I can relate to that 100%, getting QFGV to work on my PC was just painful, lucky for me the un-official patch worked after alot of tweaking.
adeyke wrote:That aside, I think there are some big problems with QfG5. The graphics are a big step backwards, IMHO. While the backgrounds are nice, the characters have very few polygons and a very low texture resolution. That is, they went from a very developed medium to a very new, unrefined one, and it shows. Most notably, compare the dialogue pictures of QfG4 and QfG5. The former are beautiful pictures that cover half the screen, while the latter are tiny plastic-looking faces stuck to the side of the screen. I really can't see that as a step forward.
Oh yes, the portraits in QFG4 were stunning. I don't think any other adventure game at the time or even now have such beautiful and animated portraits. (rusalka anyone? :P) I agree that they should of put more effort into the portraits.
adeyke wrote:As for the plot and gameplay, it just diverges significantly from the rest of the series. For the most part, QfG5 is not the story about a valiant Hero saving the land, but the story of a competition between several Heroes trying to out-Hero each other. And there was an emphasis on acquiring fancy equipment, carrying loot to town to sell, and wooing the woman of your choice, none of which were previously part of QfG.

As for the combat, it is nice that you can fight multiple opponents at once, something that hadn't happened in previous games. Other than that, though, the combat was quite unsophisticated compared to the others. Keyboard control is very awkward, since it's hard to even know you're facing the monster. So for the most part, combat just involves repeatedly clicking the monsters with the mouse. It's also the only game in which you can use pills/potions during combat, so the fights aren't decided so much by skill and stats as they are by pill/potion reserves.
In all fairness what else would there be? I can't think of anyother "save the land" plots that were already used in the last 4 games. Maybe they wanted to do something abit different on purpose, who knows. But I know what you mean, its a departure from the previous Quest for Glory's in almost every sense: Graphics, Plot, Combat etc.
adeyke wrote:It does tie up loose ends, but the way it does so seems rather contrived. There are ridiculously many characters from previous games (I count at least a dozen), many in prominent roles. And some of the characters' presence in QfG5 was just disappointing. A lot of them just lost a lot of depth there.
From what I've read over the years, (I could be wrong) wasen't QFG4 to be the last in the series until a horde of QFG fans protested? Thus Sierra giving the green light for QFGV. Keeping that in mind I know its silly with the amount of characters from the past games that appear, QFGV was in a way pure fan service. (It woulden't be here if it wasen't for the fan reaction) Maybe they thought the fans of the old games wanted to see all the old characters with a fresh coat of paint so to speak, thats how I see it. :)
adeyke wrote:With that said, I'd still totally replay QfGV if I could. I did have some fun playing it, even though it was so different from the rest of the series.

I think there are only four things MoE has in common with KQ: the name, portraits of the king and queen in the castle, the name "Daventry," and Roberta Williams' name in the credits. If those four things were removed, I think no one would even think to group it with the KQ series. So even calling it a spin-off is being generous.

And it's not just that it's unrelated to the KQ games; it's also that it's bad. I'm not an adventure game purist. I like some RPGs and action games. I have no problem with playing good adventure/RPG/action hybrids. MoE isn't among those.
One thing you can be thankful for is that QFGV didn't turn into what KQ8 was, I am. lol

adeyke

#12 Post by adeyke » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:22 am

I do realize that, after a successful series like QfG, any future game would have impossible expectations to live up to. It should be similar enough to the other games that it really feels like it belongs but still innovative enough that it's not just the same old thing, and that applies to all aspects of the game design. QfG further complicates matters with the stat system and character import. By QfG5, he was really ridiculously powerful, and had done some extremely heroic things.

So I don't have a perfect solution for how QfG5 should have been. I just think there a lot of things they didn't do right there.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#13 Post by Spikey » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:26 am

It was not so much the type of plot to me, I think, it was more the feeling that the storyline, dialogs and characters felt "rushed". All they did was saying a few lines about past stories, without adding real depth to it.

Charon: "Who should stop existing? Erana or Katrina?"
Devon: "Katrina, kthnx Erana byes, good luck in white oblivion"

As if it's a choice of nothing important.

Dasilva
Peasant Status

#14 Post by Dasilva » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:44 am

Spikey wrote:It was not so much the type of plot to me, I think, it was more the feeling that the storyline, dialogs and characters felt "rushed". All they did was saying a few lines about past stories, without adding real depth to it.

Charon: "Who should stop existing? Erana or Katrina?"
Devon: "Katrina, kthnx Erana byes, good luck in white oblivion"

As if it's a choice of nothing important.
Thats one thing I hated about QFG5, Erana & Katrina were one of my favourite characters and having to kill one of them off felt cheap.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#15 Post by Spikey » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:38 am

Yeah same here, two of my favourites. The choice seemed so...unemotional...or something. Now I always choose Katrina, because her character is less flat than Erana. I really hate the "LAWLS I look so odd let's get marrieds" being her line with most depth.

Dasilva
Peasant Status

#16 Post by Dasilva » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:42 am

Erana is probably my all time favourite QFG character, I love her lore.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#17 Post by Brainiac » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:44 pm

I agree that the whole "Hades ladies" part could have been handled better, but I thought it was impressive along the lines of showing your Hero's true colors when the Guardian of the Dead (not officially Charon) informs him it will take his life to resotre one of theirs. Certainly for "Look Out For Number One" types like the Thief, it makes sense not to revive either one. But the decision between Erana and Katrina both is handled a little too weakly.

As for me, my Thief typically decides to let both rest in peace, the Wizard goes with Katrina, the Paladin goes with Erana, and the Fighter depends on my mood (and if I think extra healing or Dragon Frost would be more helpful against the Dragon of Doom).

adeyke

#18 Post by adeyke » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:04 pm

It's easy to give up your life for another if that really just means spending a bit more time on the treadmill to get that stat back up :P.

I think it's really sad how Erana and Katrina were portrayed in QfG5. They were both very deep, powerful, mysterious characters, but in QfG5, they don't really do much other than hang around on their respective island.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#19 Post by Brainiac » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:16 pm

adeyke wrote:It's easy to give up your life for another if that really just means spending a bit more time on the treadmill to get that stat back up :P.
Ah, but you don't know that at first. Well, YOU may, but The Hero wouldn't.
adeyke wrote:I think it's really sad how Erana and Katrina were portrayed in QfG5. They were both very deep, powerful, mysterious characters, but in QfG5, they don't really do much other than hang around on their respective island.
I suppose, but I honestly can't think of how else they would have interacted with the world. Both have been dead (or undead) for a very long time and as such need some time to readapt. Both act rather appropriately to their experiences - Erana creating a new place of peace and beauty, Katrina creating a new castle and defenses (not to mention restricting herself to night). Their participation in the final battle was honestly really the only way they could participate. Personally, I figure after QfG5, either became more like their old forceful selves.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#20 Post by Blackthorne519 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:34 pm

I really agree with what adeyke said about QFG5 - it was pretty much a step-backwards as far as the games were concerned.

Bt

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#21 Post by Spikey » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:27 pm

My Qfg5 game seems to be temporarily misplaced. This thread prompted me to give it another go. But it seems I moved only the cardboard box with the instructions manual to my new place. :lol I remember playing it JUST before I moved. Now I'll have to go through heaps of stuff at my parent's house later in the afternoon. Sure, I could download it, but it's not the same. I need those two CDs back, for the sake of completion. Dammit.

gargin
Royal Servant Status

#22 Post by gargin » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:14 pm

adeyke wrote:I do realize that, after a successful series like QfG, any future game would have impossible expectations to live up to. It should be similar enough to the other games that it really feels like it belongs but still innovative enough that it's not just the same old thing, and that applies to all aspects of the game design. QfG further complicates matters with the stat system and character import. By QfG5, he was really ridiculously powerful, and had done some extremely heroic things.

So I don't have a perfect solution for how QfG5 should have been. I just think there a lot of things they didn't do right there.

I also agree with Adeyke, by Quest for Glory 4 they really had done virtually every thing with the Hero. The only thing I could see them expressing would be perhaps a darker story line where they displayed the hero's fallibility. An example might be at the beginning of the game the hero rescues his preferred lady from death but in doing so unleashes an evil in to the world that he must endeavor to defeat to put things back to normal.
One way to possibly compete with the superhuman stats by 5 would be to make some kind of a doppelganger as the villain so that there is no question to him being at least equal in ability to your character. (This was kind of done in the mirrors in QFG3 so it might be kind of lame to do again) Monsters could possibly be explained as having been powered up by the villain or possibly spawned from him somehow (Fragments of his soul or something of that sort). I guess to explain why they are strong enough to give you problems.
I kind of like these ideas because no matter how great a person or how good their intentions may be there is always a possibility of mistake or failure and with a story like this you can kind of come full circle, the last and most dangerous enemy of the hero is the potential for evil within himself.

Just figured I would mention some possibilities I had on my mind, I highly doubt anyone will ever remake 5 anyways but it's always cool to talk about this stuff!

Solarkid
Knight Status

#23 Post by Solarkid » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:56 am

Hmmm, now qfg 5 in the oblivion engine, THAT would be cool.
I somehow doubt it though, :(.

I agree with almost all points about qfg5 from both sides of the arguement.
But i must say, i think that the bottom line is QFG5 WAS a dissapointment, nothing could compare to the incredible atmospheres built up in the previous games.

Dave

TheLonelyPaladin
Peasant Status

#24 Post by TheLonelyPaladin » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:35 pm

You know... I've played through the entire series several times, and the more I do the more I appriciate QFG5. I found it quite dissapointing when it was released because it seemed like such a huge departure, but over the years it's oddly gotten more and more similier and fit in better and better with the rest of the series.

I think some of this may be do to the fact that at the time the game felt nothing like the standard graphic adventure games I was used to, but compared to everything that's comes since then it feels an awful dern lot like a classic Sierra game.

I don't know. I do know I enjoy it quite a bit more than I used to.