QFG1VGA and climbing

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

SierraFan1885
Royal Servant Status

QFG1VGA and climbing

#1 Post by SierraFan1885 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:26 am

Since I've seen a few stat related posts, and seeing how this is kinda related to QFG2VGA I thought I'd ask here as well.

I'm working on maxing out a character, and the only stat I can't seem to max is Climbing, it's stubbornly stuck at 87. First time really playing QFG1 VGA version. Climbed the tree, and the back alley wall a bit. Any suggestions?

adeyke

Re: QFG1VGA and climbing

#2 Post by adeyke » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:27 am

Try the brigand fortress wall.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#3 Post by Gronagor » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:50 am

It is still possible to raise it with the tree. :) From 87 to 95 you'll have to climb the tree about 100 times for each point. :)
95 to 100 about 140 times for each.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#4 Post by DrJones » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:05 am

Huh? I thought tree climbing was capped at a certain value, and that you needed to find other places (brigand fortress, and/or city walls in the forest) to max out the ability.

malekdarshin
Royal Servant Status

#5 Post by malekdarshin » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:19 am

It's been over 10 years since I've maxed out my character, (still have it!) so it's hard to remember. It seems like there is a cliff wall near the area where the pom pom guys come up from the holes. I seem to remember climbing that. I also remember climbing the wall in the alley beside the bar.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#6 Post by Gronagor » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:25 am

DrJones wrote:Huh? I thought tree climbing was capped at a certain value, and that you needed to find other places (brigand fortress, and/or city walls in the forest) to max out the ability.
Nope. It just seems that way. Once you hit 87, it feels like forever before you get another point. But if you can do it faster at another place, why bother?
(I've never climbed the city walls or fortress walls for raising the skills... and if I remember correctly, you can only climb the rocks at the spitting flowers until you've captured the seed.)

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#7 Post by Fribbi » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:47 am

I'm working on maxing out a character, and the only stat I can't seem to max is Climbing, it's stubbornly stuck at 87. First time really playing QFG1 VGA version. Climbed the tree, and the back alley wall a bit. Any suggestions?
Go to the waterfall near where Hermit lives and try climb up on the rock wall. It always works for me.

jpnuar1
Knight Status

#8 Post by jpnuar1 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:45 pm

Fribbi wrote:
Go to the waterfall near where Hermit lives and try climb up on the rock wall. It always works for me.
lol. That was easy. (almost like climbing a ladder)

Kloreep
Knight Status

#9 Post by Kloreep » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:51 pm

I find climbing back and forth over the city gate at night a good way to raise it after the tree has become slow to help in the 80s. (You could also try the castle wall, but I don't know that there's any real difference there.) Nevertheless, even there, you can't quite get it to 100, only to the mid-90s.

As far as I know, only the Brigand fortress can be used to reach the full 100. (However, that is from reading guides and forums and never seeing any different info; I can't claim to have tested the game exhaustively myself. :))

SierraFan1885
Royal Servant Status

#10 Post by SierraFan1885 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:50 pm

Thanks for the tips everyone!!! I was able to reach 100 climbing thanks to the brigand fort wall. It was surprisingly easy to go from 87 to 100. Now I have my first maxed character...every stat from strength to invidual spell mastery is 100. Is there an experience cap??

Now...if I can just figure out what that 1 point is I'm missing!!! 499 is such a frustrating score!!! LOL!!

I know the VGA version has some bugs, and I've encountered the palate issue a few times, monsters change colors after viewing my stats and such...but if I apply the patch my saves will be unusable, so it's not worth the hassle. Does QFG1VGA sometimes forget to give points like SQ4?

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#11 Post by DrJones » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:56 pm

I think not, but I remember Quest for Glory VGA had a serious bug that allows you to max all your stats right from the start except one. Just choose the easiest one to train.

It's not fun to use it, though.

It's not fun to climb up a tree 1500 times, either.

Sandsai
Peasant Status

#12 Post by Sandsai » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:48 pm

DrJones wrote:I think not, but I remember Quest for Glory VGA had a serious bug that allows you to max all your stats right from the start except one. Just choose the easiest one to train.

It's not fun to use it, though.

It's not fun to climb up a tree 1500 times, either.
You might be thinking of QfG4 and the acrobatics skill? Or maybe that you can import a QfG4 character back into QfG4? If there was such a bug it must have been with QfG1 original because I do not recall seeing anything along the lines of what you describe.

SierraFan1885
Royal Servant Status

#13 Post by SierraFan1885 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:54 pm

Hmmm...so there's no bug in the point system?? I've gone back through all of the actions I know of that grant you one point...and I'm still stuck at 424...I played through EGA recently and got full points with ease....

one thing I thought was odd though was that I got some points for learning detect from the meeps, and my character's a fighter....

is there a way to hex edit or something so I can see what action I didn't get credit for....normally it wouldn't bug me this much...but 499??? C'mon!!! That's unfair lol

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#14 Post by DrJones » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:30 pm

Sandsai wrote:You might be thinking of QfG4 and the acrobatics skill? Or maybe that you can import a QfG4 character back into QfG4? If there was such a bug it must have been with QfG1 original because I do not recall seeing anything along the lines of what you describe.
No. The problem is that during your character creation you can raise or lower a Skill by 1 or by 5. If you reach 0 in a skill, the game doesn't allow you to go any lower, but if you are at 4, you can take 5 points straightaway and enter the realm of negative numbers, which can go as low as you wish, and for each point you take, you get another for the rest of abilities.

That's what I remember, but you might want to take a look at faqs to fill the details. :lol

Sandsai
Peasant Status

#15 Post by Sandsai » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:47 pm

DrJones wrote:
Sandsai wrote:You might be thinking of QfG4 and the acrobatics skill? Or maybe that you can import a QfG4 character back into QfG4? If there was such a bug it must have been with QfG1 original because I do not recall seeing anything along the lines of what you describe.
No. The problem is that during your character creation you can raise or lower a Skill by 1 or by 5. If you reach 0 in a skill, the game doesn't allow you to go any lower, but if you are at 4, you can take 5 points straightaway and enter the realm of negative numbers, which can go as low as you wish, and for each point you take, you get another for the rest of abilities.

That's what I remember, but you might want to take a look at faqs to fill the details. :lol
I'm sorry, I am a bit confused. Are you talking about the Original one or the VGA version? I do not recall being able to increase a skill by only one point in the VGA version, I do remember you being able to do so in the EGA version. Anyway, if you are able to increase a skill in the VGA by only one point, please tell me how...

SierraFan1885
Royal Servant Status

#16 Post by SierraFan1885 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:02 pm

Page up

kosch
Royal Servant Status

#17 Post by kosch » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:45 am

i just put a brick on my enter button and had my guy climb the rocks at the waterfall. i came back two hours later... still 88 climbing stat... ~_~ i've already killed the brigants so i don't know what to do now. am i stuck at 88 forever?

SierraFan1885
Royal Servant Status

#18 Post by SierraFan1885 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:47 am

climbing over the brigand fort wall a few times brought me from 87 to 100....

kosch
Royal Servant Status

#19 Post by kosch » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:10 am

meh, everything else was 100's and it wouldnt let me go back to the brigant camp or i would die upon entering the screen. So i used the hex edit spell and instantly got 100 points for climbing :evil

SierraFan1885
Royal Servant Status

#20 Post by SierraFan1885 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:28 am

can you use the hex edit spell to add one frustrating point to your score :p

arganite
Royal Servant Status

#21 Post by arganite » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:46 am

:eek

I just found out that you can manually get to full stats on every character! Thanks for the heads up on the page up button :) (I always had to leave on stat blank for fighters, till now!)

Sandsai
Peasant Status

#22 Post by Sandsai » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:54 am

SierraFan1885 wrote:Page up
Awesome, thanks. Learn something new everyday and I played this game since '91. Also read the manual, evidently not carefully enough.