Al Emmo & the Lost Dutchmans Mine - Now on Steam!

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

darkgamorck
Peasant Status

Re: Al Emmo and the Lost Dutchman's Mine has been released!

#26 Post by darkgamorck » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:51 am

It appears to work for me as well. I ordered my copy of Al Emmo Collector's Edition along with the poster ($8 shipping must include the poster). I really think you guys ought to update your site to take credit card payments directly though - forcing people to go through through Paypal isn't doing you any favors. I personally found it quite annoying that after creating an account on your site, you pushed me out to Paypal to pay. What was the point of having to create an account on the store site? Paypal can supply my shipping information, so I don't need one at Himalaya for that.

Oh well. The certificate is fixed and true to my word I have ordered the game.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#27 Post by Gronagor » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:50 pm

My god! People complain about just about everything!

You can think for yourself that if they have their own credit card system the game would need to be quite a bit more expensive to cover the costs. Besides, PayPal is pretty secure, so you should be happy.

As for registering on a site... just about every company you buy stuff from online gets your information. It is part of the business. No, they won't give information out, but it is usually to get nice little stats to show for possible funding or whatever.

Edit: I hope I can gather up a few bucks to buy me a copy (with the poster) as well. :( Currently I'm kinda broke..... How much extra to get the signatures from the entire AGDI development team on the poster? :p

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#28 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:16 pm

I need to get myself a copy as well. I just haven't the cash at the moment. Having a family really sucks up your income. And we don't even have a car yet!

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#29 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:23 pm

Yea I'm kinda broke too, but when it was released I bought a collectors edition copy (aswell as the free copy I got for beta testing). I also got a signed photo of Hank dog from Brit!! (which I'm sure also had Stijn's autograph too!)

darkgamorck
Peasant Status

#30 Post by darkgamorck » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:46 pm

Gronagor wrote:My god! People complain about just about everything!

You can think for yourself that if they have their own credit card system the game would need to be quite a bit more expensive to cover the costs. Besides, PayPal is pretty secure, so you should be happy.
No it wouldn't. Most credit card processors charge per transaction last I checked. The per transaction charge is rather small.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#31 Post by navynuke04 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:16 pm

darkgamorck wrote:No it wouldn't. Most credit card processors charge per transaction last I checked. The per transaction charge is rather small.
Wrong. We checked into this, and it was actually relatively quite expensive. I say relatively because if we sold more products, and processed more transactions, it would be relatively inexpensive. The monthly charge for the service is too large to warrant getting it for the relatively small volume of orders we get.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#32 Post by Gronagor » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:23 am

Dude. We're not talking about an ATM here! :lol

Believe me, if it was cheap as you said, PayPal (and other similar systems) wouldn't be as big and popular. Heck, most people would never have heard of it. Remember, this is going all over the world. Whichever system you choose would need to be 'connected' to every country's banking system to work... even PayPal isn't 100% covered yet.

Beverheim
Peasant Status

#33 Post by Beverheim » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:26 am

Al Emmo was one of the best and funniest adventure-releases in 2006. It brought back that same enjoyment as I experienced when playing the classics from those golden years of adventure.gaming.

I really hope for a follow-up game in the same wacky universe. Did you ever consider making that?

I sure hope the re-release will bring a lot of money, so you might find making another game worthwhile:) Heck, I'll even buy Al Emmo to everybody on my list for christmas-presents this year, if that can contribute to convince you make another one!

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#34 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:11 pm

Hey, thanks for the compliments! Glad to hear that you enjoyed it. :) I'd personally love to do an Al Emmo sequel at some point; it's the kind of wacky game that we could just go to town with and have a lot of fun with during the writing and design stages.

(Some spoilers in this paragraph) We did actually start writing a design document for a sequel to the first game, and we even have an entire plot outline written up. The sequel was to take place in a 1930's Mafia/gangster-like setting and the story would delve deeper into the affairs of the extended Peralto family in New York after they learn of Rita Peralto's new-found wealth.

Unfortunately, our financial situation won't allow us to make an Al Emmo sequel right now, as the style of game is risky from a marketing standpoint. So, for the next Himalaya game, we'll be sticking with the type of adventure game that we know the majority of the adventure gaming fanbase will support. Never say never though...

ThreeHeadedMonkey
Knight Status

#35 Post by ThreeHeadedMonkey » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:36 am

Ordering now (I should have done so much earlier, really).

JustLuke32
Royal Servant Status

#36 Post by JustLuke32 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:38 am

I feel quite torn by Al Emmo. On the one hand, I want to support the creators so that they may, hopefully, go on to make more and higher quality commercial games in the future, but on the other, I find the game to be, well, deeply unappealing. In regards to the latter, I think that this is for three reasons: I dislike the old West setting, I find the character designs to be unlikable, and the mix of 3d rendered images and 2d art doesn't look "right" to me.

Quest for Glory 2 VGA looks awesome, though, and the sheer commitment and willpower that it must take to complete development on so many games is startling.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#37 Post by Angelus3K » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:30 am

JustLuke32 wrote:I feel quite torn by Al Emmo. On the one hand, I want to support the creators so that they may, hopefully, go on to make more and higher quality commercial games in the future, but on the other, I find the game to be, well, deeply unappealing. In regards to the latter, I think that this is for three reasons: I dislike the old West setting, I find the character designs to be unlikable, and the mix of 3d rendered images and 2d art doesn't look "right" to me.

Quest for Glory 2 VGA looks awesome, though, and the sheer commitment and willpower that it must take to complete development on so many games is startling.
Its been awhile but I think there was a demo of the game, have you tried that to see if you like it?

I can't actually remember there being a demo but for some reason I'm sure there was lol!

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#38 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:41 am

The Al Emmo demo is available for download here. It contains the entire (untimed) first act (out of 9 in the full game):

http://games.internode.on.net/filelist. ... tails=2662

A free time-trial version can also be downloaded from many online vendor sites which allows you play for an hour (collectively) before expiring and giving you the option of paying if you want to continue.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#39 Post by Angelus3K » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:44 am

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:The Al Emmo demo is available for download here. It contains the entire (untimed) first act (out of 9 in the full game):

http://games.internode.on.net/filelist. ... tails=2662

A free time-trial version can also be downloaded from many online vendor sites which allows you play for an hour (collectively) before expiring and giving you the option of paying if you want to continue.
Ahh yes I was sure there was a demo available! Yes so everyone who has any doubts about the game, PLAY THE DEMO :p You'll love it! :hat

JustLuke32
Royal Servant Status

#40 Post by JustLuke32 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:51 am

Angelus3K wrote:Its been awhile but I think there was a demo of the game, have you tried that to see if you like it?
Yup, my opinions are based on playing the demo a while back. I'm sure that the game is very good, but it's not for me. I must have different thematic and aesthetic values, or something.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#41 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:59 am

Most feedback tends to indicate that people think the game gets better/picks up pace in subsequent acts. In retrospect, releasing a demo of the first act may not have been the best indication of how the overall game is.

But hey, as I always say, it's $10 for the standard edition now. That's dirt cheap, and if you don't like that game, that's still pretty inexpensive for decorative adventure gaming drink coaster. :lol

JustLuke32
Royal Servant Status

#42 Post by JustLuke32 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:17 pm

But hey, as I always say, it's $10 for the standard edition now. That's dirt cheap, and if you don't like that game, that's still pretty inexpensive for decorative adventure gaming drink coaster.
True, but sadly misguided, tasteless fool that I am, I'm going to have to pass on Al Emmo. I look forward to seeing what original game you come up with next, though!

MusicallyInspired

#43 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:57 pm

I didn't like the Al Emmo demo either. Though everyone tells me that the rest of the game is better. Of course, everyone says that Grim Fandango is an amazing game and I don't like that game at all either. I will buy it, though, because I was to support the dead adventure genre (the good adventure not the boring adventure genre of today) any way I can.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#44 Post by Angelus3K » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:48 pm

MI, you should play Al Emmo just for the music, its brilliant!

JonWW
Royal Servant Status

#45 Post by JonWW » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:01 pm

Angelus3K wrote:MI, you should play Al Emmo just for the music, its brilliant!
Didn't someone tell MI to play Grim Fandango for the music as well? >D

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#46 Post by Angelus3K » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:56 pm

Yea, that was Broomie, but it does have some great funky jazz beats in it! :hat

MusicallyInspired

#47 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:13 pm

Well, unlike Grim, I DO enjoy the music from Al Emmo. But I'm already a huge fan of the Lewandowskis' music. :)

haradan
Knight Status

#48 Post by haradan » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:01 pm

Well, western is not my favorite genre as well, and I was very skeptical about Al Emmo at first. I bought it mainly to support the team, but after playing it, I can say that it is a very good adventure game. It won't be my favorite game, but it stands alongside some Sierra games that I enjoyed a lot. The music, indeed, is terrific.

And hey, 10 bucks is not much, I think everybody could "donate" 10 bucks to AGDI just for what they've done with the KQs and QFG2, even if there wasn't another game involved in the "donation", but that's your call.

daventry
Knight Status

#49 Post by daventry » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:49 pm

Congrats People, you just got yourself another Customer. ;)

I hope the Game is worth my Money and long wait, since im from South Africa :cry

Any Patches or anything else i should know about the Game. 8o

Who is this Himalaya Studios, why did they Profit a Game witch you guys can obviously make for Free and i read you dont need the Disc in the Machine to play the Game. :)

Will they make more Games. :|

I swear when i go to the El Emmo Website, i listen to the Music and i keep thinking of Freddy Pharkas. :lol

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#50 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:18 pm

daventry wrote:Congrats People, you just got yourself another Customer. ;)

I hope the Game is worth my Money and long wait, since im from South Africa :cry

Any Patches or anything else i should know about the Game. 8o

Who is this Himalaya Studios, why did they Profit a Game witch you guys can obviously make for Free and i read you dont need the Disc in the Machine to play the Game. :)

Will they make more Games. :|

I swear when i go to the El Emmo Website, i listen to the Music and i keep thinking of Freddy Pharkas. :lol
There's not any patches or anything that I am aware of.

Himalaya Studios is a commercial game studio created by Britney (AGD1) and Chris (AGD2) so hypothetically Himalaya is AGDI (but technically its not).

The reason why they didnt make the game for free under AGDI is that its an original game not a remake and the whole point of Himalaya is to do what they love (ie make games) and continue doing it by making money.

Hope you enjoy!