Character Templates and Saved Games

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

BrianR
Royal Servant Status

Character Templates and Saved Games

#1 Post by BrianR » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:04 pm

Hello!

This is so exciting to know we are so close to see and playing the final product.

So like many of you I have been looking at my saved games from QFG1 and seeing what I would like to import.

Unfortunatly I screwed up my mage! For some reason I bought everything including lock picking at the start of the game. My thief already has all the skills so I do not need another character like that. I would rather have a real mage.

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to send me a mage saved game toward the end of the first game with good stats.

I rather not have to play through the game again. 6 times is enough.

Thanks!

Solarkid
Knight Status

Re: Character Templates and Saved Games

#2 Post by Solarkid » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:24 am

Just google it dude, there are plenty of templates out there and i suspect most people on the AGDI forums will have made their characters very personal.

I can send you my fighter but thats all i've got right now
Dave

Mr. Alsheid
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Mr. Alsheid » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:24 am

Pure mages are cool. If nothing else, they're the only ones who can learn Thermonuclear Blast in 5.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#4 Post by Brainiac » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:48 am

Mr. Alsheid wrote:Pure mages are cool. If nothing else, they're the only ones who can learn Thermonuclear Blast in 5.
Yeah, and that makes a huge difference in the game. <rolls eyes>

SierraFan1885
Royal Servant Status

#5 Post by SierraFan1885 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:05 am

And they get to marry Katrina :D

malekdarshin
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by malekdarshin » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:22 am

In the "A Few Questions about QFG2VGA...." post there is a link to save game makers. One makes maxed "pure" characters and one makes maxed "super" characters. Pretty much you just input the class you want and which game you want the import file for.

I had a similar problem with my character. I was very disappointed that you can't change classes and the start of the game like the other QFG's, but the original QFG2 was the same. I figure that if Sierra had remade the game back in the day that they would have made it wore like QFG3-5. You have to respect the decision of AGDI to make the game as close to the original as possible, so no one can hold it against them. There are ways around this, such as the programs noted above, and maybe someone will make a simple program to change the job class in a SAV file while leaving everything else alone. My problem was solved by just creating a fighter "super" character as the character I had before was fully maxed out in both stats and magic. This was 11-12 years ago when I had so much more time on my hands.

MacGyver
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by MacGyver » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:49 am

Looks like the SAV generator I've created 10 years ago is available for download as the 2nd link in http://tawmis.com/collector/Cheats/QfGCharacters.html. It has all stats maxed at 100 for QFG1, 200 for QFG2, 300 for QFG3 and 400 for QFG4.

Back in QFG2 EGA, it seems that importing a Fighter (and possibly others) with the wrong skills makes you end up as a different character class. Not sure how well it's going to fare in the VGA version. Anyone care to try it?

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#8 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:24 pm

I've just finished implementing a last-minute change into the QFG2 remake; a GUI which will allow you to select the correct character profession if it gets incorrectly imported. It works just like QFG3's version.

Malekdarshin, I tested it with the .sav character you sent me and changing his class to a fighter works perfectly now.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#9 Post by Brainiac » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:08 pm

SierraFan1885 wrote:And they get to marry Katrina :D
So do Fighters if they make the effort. That's a point for Gronagor's Fighter obsession. :p
Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:I've just finished implementing a last-minute change into the QFG2 remake; a GUI which will allow you to select the correct character profession if it gets incorrectly imported. It works just like QFG3's version.
Sweet, AGD2. Thanks for that. The only thing that would make this game perfect for me is the ability to turn on/turn off Zap being given to any character with Magic (but I can counter that with some simple hacking with QfG3 and QfG5 - QfG4 is the only game that WON'T give any char with Magic the Zap Spell).

Actually, one thing occurred to me recently (though this is probably outside the realm of normal beta testing). Have you guys checked if a spell disappears from the spell screen if it's artificially reduced to zero skill (i.e. by hex-editing/debug shells)? I know that's true for the other QfGs, but none of those are in AGS, obviously...

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#10 Post by Erpy » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:32 pm

In QFG2VGA, a spell is also added as an inventory item of sorts, so reducing the skill to 0 through outside interferance would prevent it from going up, but it would still appear in the spell selection window.

jpnuar1
Knight Status

#11 Post by jpnuar1 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:40 pm

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:I've just finished implementing a last-minute change into the QFG2 remake
I trust the portion of code altered is simple enough that there's no foreseeable way this could introduce new bugs?

malekdarshin
Royal Servant Status

#12 Post by malekdarshin » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:45 pm

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:I've just finished implementing a last-minute change into the QFG2 remake; a GUI which will allow you to select the correct character profession if it gets incorrectly imported. It works just like QFG3's version.

Malekdarshin, I tested it with the .sav character you sent me and changing his class to a fighter works perfectly now.

You rock so hard the universe might actually collapse in on itself! This is above and beyond the above and beyond of remaking the game. Thank you.

I hope it wasn't too much trouble and as jpnuar1 said, I hope it won't cause any new problems.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#13 Post by Brainiac » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:44 am

Erpy wrote:In QFG2VGA, a spell is also added as an inventory item of sorts, so reducing the skill to 0 through outside interferance would prevent it from going up, but it would still appear in the spell selection window.
Hmmm...so it would probably still be castable, I'm guessing. Guess I'll just have to avoid using Zap for my Mage-Paladin (I intend to continuously remove Zap until QfG5 so that I actually have a reason to buy it from Shakra).

BrianR
Royal Servant Status

#14 Post by BrianR » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:02 am

You guys rock. Thanks!

When I posted last night I wasn't sure if I would get any response and spent 2 hours trying to improve my characters.

With this generator I save some time.

Thanks!
Last edited by BrianR on Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

darkgamorck
Peasant Status

#15 Post by darkgamorck » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:21 am

That is just pure awesome. Rock on AGD Interactive. Rock on. If more game devs were this outright cool, the world of gaming would be a very different place.

jpnuar1
Knight Status

#16 Post by jpnuar1 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:01 am

malekdarshin wrote:You rock so hard the universe might actually collapse in on itself!
Remaking the game is great of you and all, but if you introduce bugs into the very fabric of space-time, I'm gonna be just a tad pissed off at you for it. >:

will7298
Peasant Status

#17 Post by will7298 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:17 pm

razzle dazzle root beer for the win.