Quest for Glory V de-make?

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Ryu
Peasant Status

Quest for Glory V de-make?

#1 Post by Ryu » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:37 am

I've just realized, 2D never gets old and ceases being a wonder, 3D got old real fast for the fifth entry into the series. It got so old that I have difficulty even playing it, despite content that although disappointing in Hype, was better than nothing. So the question rings to me as a play Quest for Glory IV once again, would itbe possible to do a remake of this game, but have it go to its roots as in could it even be rendered 2D?

Is this even remotely possible?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: Quest for Glory V de-make?

#2 Post by Erpy » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:38 am

Of course it's possible...the question is who the guys are who have so many free years in their life they're willing to donate a handful of it to the development of such a project. :)

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#3 Post by Blackthorne519 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:02 am

Yeah. If I had more free time, I'd do it. The game would need a bit of work, design-wise, but I actually think it could be a fufilling project.

Bt

Ryu
Peasant Status

#4 Post by Ryu » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:09 am

Yeah, but im a severe lack luster coder and my sophmore year will start in a few weeks(I need to pass this time) so I figured I'd get the Idea out there. Since well it did finish the series off, it needs its swan song.

Even if its about a decade late.

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#5 Post by Klytos » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:21 pm

Ideas are cheap. Commitment to seeing a project through - priceless.

Alliance
Knight Status

#6 Post by Alliance » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:42 am

There's some things money can't buy.
For everything else, there's MasterCard.

JustLuke32
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by JustLuke32 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:27 pm

Seems like a rather needless idea to me - remaking QfG V to resemble the games that preceded it. Besides, in my opinion, many of the game's most significant flaws are unrelated to the visuals, and fixing these issues would require major changes to be made to the game at a fundamental level. Not fixing these issues would render the task a waste of time and a creative failure.

No, if one had the time, talent, team, and tenacity to produce a worthy remake of QfG V, it would be more artistically worthwhile to create an original game in a similar style.

Ryu
Peasant Status

#8 Post by Ryu » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:50 pm

Im not talking about replicateing the entire game in 2D, I mean changeing whats wrong with it while keeping the gener direction(kingdom,Story,etc) it would be odd to remake the game from the ground up, rendered differently, and not fix some issues.

Chief
Knight Status

#9 Post by Chief » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:02 pm

exactly.. if i were making a game, i'd just do something new which was kind of similar to QFG.

JustLuke32 wrote:Seems like a rather needless idea to me - remaking QfG V to resemble the games that preceded it. Besides, in my opinion, many of the game's most significant flaws are unrelated to the visuals, and fixing these issues would require major changes to be made to the game at a fundamental level. Not fixing these issues would render the task a waste of time and a creative failure.

No, if one had the time, talent, team, and tenacity to produce a worthy remake of QfG V, it would be more artistically worthwhile to create an original game in a similar style.

bcrt2000
Peasant Status

#10 Post by bcrt2000 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:26 pm

I think with this release of QfG2, the time for remakes is over. Its time for people to bring new ideas and bring Adventure games into the modern era. I like what I see from Telltale (although the quality of a episodic season still isn't the same as playing through a non-episodic adventure game) and from the guys who are making Heavy Rain. Also Jane Jensen's Gray Matter will likely be something worth while.

As far as a Quest for Glory style game goes-- I'd like to see a game which combines the Dialog system of Mass Effect (although the outcomes of each dialog choice should be not so clear cut), the puzzle solving/levelling up/class specific story paths of Quest for Glory, and the scope of Oblivion/Fallout 3 in terms of land mass and the amount of things to do. Assassin's Creed style sword fighting would also be sweet-- probably the only game out there to make sword fighting strategic rather than just a button mash fest (at least on the higher difficulties).

There are quite a few Action/RPG hybrids out there such as Mass Effect and Oblivion, but none of them have a puzzle solving element.

JustLuke32
Royal Servant Status

#11 Post by JustLuke32 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:23 pm

Ryu wrote:Im not talking about replicateing the entire game in 2D, I mean changeing whats wrong with it while keeping the gener direction(kingdom,Story,etc) it would be odd to remake the game from the ground up, rendered differently, and not fix some issues.
But what if the setting (I think that this is what you mean by kingdom, right?) and the story are part of the problem? I think that they are, which is why it would be better to start over with a new, original game.

dungeonsofdorks
Royal Servant Status

#12 Post by dungeonsofdorks » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:32 pm

Meh. I like QFG5. No need. Now, KQ8 on the other hand.... :lol

Labrynian Rebel
Peasant Status

#13 Post by Labrynian Rebel » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:06 am

I think they should just make QFGV more available and better running on newer computers, because so many people I have "seen" on the internet are like "Yeah big QFG fan, played 1-4, heard Dragon Fire ends the series well, never played it though"

I am currently in pursuit of this game, after the cliffhanger of QFGIV, but the problem is, I'm not going to go out and buy something that will probably not even work on my computer...

Any techno-savvy people out there that could help me out? ;)

(Wow, that got off-topic real quick :x )

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#14 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:37 pm

To me using Erpy's combat system and a the 2d art style that the VGA remake had incorporated to Dragon Fire would be fantastic but the game is still very much playable and in fact I booted it up the other day. The major design flaw for me is the lack of icons and the "one click does all" button. It ruins the puzzle elements a great deal

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#15 Post by Paladinlover » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:41 pm

Speaking of which, any notes on putting QFG 5 on Vista or Win 7? (Let's face it, Microsoft is back to their old self of releasing a new windows version every 2 or 3 years. We're gonna need to upgrade more often).

Till next time stay cool :cool:

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#16 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:13 am

sorry for the late reply here but I thought you might still need it. I had actually lost my install disk for Dragons Fire but still had my play disk so I torrented the install and burned it to a disk then did a full install normally (so there would be no disk swapping for cutscenes) but I still couldn't get the game to boot past the sierra logo. So I went into compatibility and changed it to "Run in Win98" Which is important because it won't work under any other compatibility mode.

For the actual topic I was just thinking about how QFGV while being a 3d game didn't really have a 3d camera at all. All of the vantage points are fixed points on a 3d landscape as if it was designed the same way they did the 2d games. This would take out a lot of the strain of VGA-ifying the game as opposed to a game that was "true 3d" or from a players perspective. Still the project would take a TON of work. Another thing is that skill points had very little importance in Dragon Fire other than swimming because the difference between 400 str and 500 is almost negligible. If you were to make "cut out characters" without sliding skill points to run through the game with it'd still work fine. I'm sure if it were made in AGS you could also use Erpy's combat system (if he'd allow for it) but those are the only real shortcuts I see. Dragonfire was a lot longer than Wages and SywtbaH (what an acronym :eek ) so it'd still be an enormous undertaking. Still, it's fun to toss ideas around.

crayauchtin
Royal Servant Status

#17 Post by crayauchtin » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:11 pm

As much as I'd love the idea of QfGV being done in VGA without the one click does all thing (heck, I'd love a remake of KQ7 for the same reason :P) there'd be so much to do and it wouldn't be worth it. I agree the older games like KQ4 should be redone, but I also really want to see some new games out there, new worlds created and explored.

And, as for you dissenters, I loved the story of QfGV. I'll admit, the Dragon was kind of less apocalyptic than Avoozl so I can see how that would be a letdown and I think there should have been a lot more original characters included, even just for detail, since most of the cast was people you knew from other lands. Still, I thought the storyline was very engaging and it was a grand finish to a fantastic series.

Almagnus1
Peasant Status

#18 Post by Almagnus1 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:19 am

My thoughts on this topic.... Keep in mind that I do like the game...

The overall story of QFGV was decent.... and would have been great for the series.... there's several issues that mar the game...

For starters, in a 3D environment, the camera NEEDS to follow the character. That technical flaw means that very large chunks of the game world are going to need to be constructed to accomplish this. This is probably the biggest killer to an update.

On import, QFG5 should not shear spells. After starting the series with a fighter in QFG1, and coming into QFG5 with a paladin/wizard, and then finding out I had lost spells... Not fun, and very frustrating, because the importer just trivialized some of your effort in previous games.

Then comes plot and presentation. Overall.... I liked the game.... and it was understood to be the end of the franchise because Sierra wanted it dead. However, for a remake, the end of the game needs to be open ended enough for another sequel. That means the entire marriage/king plotlines will need to be reexamined and probably rewritten to allow a sequel to occur, rather than terminating the hero's career at the end of the game by becoming King of Silmaria. For a paladin, you're locked into ruling the country because of honor, and can't break away until you find a suitable replacement. Rakeesh touched on this point in QFG3.

After watching the opening cinematic... we shouldn't know WHO the big bad is... that's a detail that would have been best revealed MUCH later in the game. There's an entire detective/mystery subplot that could be added to the game to give it more depth.

The dragon needs to be far more threatening, and the threat needs to be real. It needs to be on the scale of Avoozl/QFG2 Djinn bad, not "it's a really big monster" - the final fight completely killed all the momentum leading up to it.

Too much of the game is fighter centric. Very few options are given to (reasonably) accomplish several objectives without hacking and slashing your way through the game. There needs to be more NPC dialog, and options to use diplomacy, rather than spamming calm/peace to get in to your objective. Atlantis would be one area that would greatly benefit from this.

Several of the character's scripts need to be reworked to bring them closer to how they were in prior games. Elsa comes to mind, there are probably others as well.

I'm not trying to shoot the idea down.... but a lot of these points are stuff I'd like to see addressed... especially if you're making something that can allow QFG to cleanly continue past the fifth game.... which (to me at least) would be the entire point of making a remake.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#19 Post by Brainiac » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:39 pm

Almagnus1 wrote:On import, QFG5 should not shear spells. After starting the series with a fighter in QFG1, and coming into QFG5 with a paladin/wizard, and then finding out I had lost spells... Not fun, and very frustrating, because the importer just trivialized some of your effort in previous games.
What spells in particular were you not getting? There should only be three that are "lost" between QfG4 and QfG5 and they all have legitimate explanations.

Summon Staff has disappeared just as it did at the start of QfG4 - your/Erana's Staff is gone. Once you make a new one, you'll get a new Summon Staff spell (it even behaves differently and can even function as a weapon this time).

The Ritual of Release, being completely unneeded in this game, is discarded.

Glide was originally planned (and the spell icon is still within the game code, as you can see to the left) but it was dropped when the developers realized it would make the issue of transportation across the islands of Mariana WAY too easy to solve for a Wizard.
Almagnus1 wrote:For a paladin, you're locked into ruling the country because of honor, and can't break away until you find a suitable replacement.
Not true. The paladin actually gets more points for refusing the throne outright after the completion of the Rites (which allows Elsa to take the throne instead).
Almagnus1 wrote:Too much of the game is fighter centric. Very few options are given to (reasonably) accomplish several objectives without hacking and slashing your way through the game. There needs to be more NPC dialog, and options to use diplomacy, rather than spamming calm/peace to get in to your objective. Atlantis would be one area that would greatly benefit from this.
Frankly, if QfG5 is focused on any class, it's the Wizard - that class can level freaking MOUNTAINS with all the power at his command. Honestly though, there are a lot of diplomatic routes (particular for Atlantis, as you just mentioned) and using the Wizard's Calm or the Paladin's Peace, even through spamming, are hardly fighter-centric (to say nothing of skulking about as the Thief).

Almagnus1
Peasant Status

#20 Post by Almagnus1 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:40 pm

Brainiac wrote:
Almagnus1 wrote:On import, QFG5 should not shear spells. After starting the series with a fighter in QFG1, and coming into QFG5 with a paladin/wizard, and then finding out I had lost spells... Not fun, and very frustrating, because the importer just trivialized some of your effort in previous games.
What spells in particular were you not getting? There should only be three that are "lost" between QfG4 and QfG5 and they all have legitimate explanations.
I think the big one that was sheered was Frostbite.

It's been many, many a year since I've played the char.... I'm working my way back through the series again as a refresher.... just cleared QFG1...
The character was fighter w/ magic splash that started in QFG1, completed all of the WIT and EOF stuff, became a paladin in QFG3 (I think I picked up lightning bolt.... don't recall), stayed a paladin in QFG4, and picked up frostbite, and a few others.

Found out I lost frostbite, and a few of the QFG4 spells, but kept all of the paladin abilities (I stayed a paladin). I was quite ticked because it felt like a major portion of the char, one that I had put A LOT of time in earning/buffing up was ripped from the character, thanks to the importer.

For most of the other stuff, it's been a very long time (several years) since I've pulled out the QFG series and played through it, so some of it is pretty fuzzy. I do remember the disappointment at playing through QFG5 after QFG4, and how it felt like it was designed to close the series. I all fairness though, QFG4 is a very tough act to follow.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#21 Post by Erpy » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:47 pm

QFG5 does have Frost Bite and it's one of the most broken spells in the game. Instead of a projectile that explodes in a blast of cold on impact (like in QFG4), it creates a cone of frozen air. A bit like a sub-zero flame thrower and every bit as nasty. If you lost it, maybe your character didn't import over correctly. Play a wizard and you'll be guaranteed to get this one.

Almagnus1
Peasant Status

#22 Post by Almagnus1 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:43 pm

Erpy wrote:QFG5 does have Frost Bite and it's one of the most broken spells in the game. Instead of a projectile that explodes in a blast of cold on impact (like in QFG4), it creates a cone of frozen air. A bit like a sub-zero flame thrower and every bit as nasty. If you lost it, maybe your character didn't import over correctly. Play a wizard and you'll be guaranteed to get this one.

That was the kicker though.... even though Frostbite was earned while in QFG4 on a fighter, it didn't transfer over, at least, not on the Fighter/Wizard and Paladin/Wizard hybrids... I think it came over fine on the theif... Wizard it definitely did.... Again, it's been many years since I've played QFG5 (and sadly, lost the collection of save files between then and now)

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#23 Post by Brainiac » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:07 am

As I recall, QfG5 v1.0 had import problems. If you patch to v1.2, you shouldn't have any missing spells even without a pure Wizard.

Almagnus1
Peasant Status

#24 Post by Almagnus1 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:06 am

Brainiac wrote:As I recall, QfG5 v1.0 had import problems. If you patch to v1.2, you shouldn't have any missing spells even without a pure Wizard.
That could have been it.... I just got QFG5 working on Win7 shortly.... I'll check back in after i've gotten my fighter through the series and into the game to see what happens.

Edit:
Update:
After completing QFG1 EGA, and bringing the fighet/magic user in, it kept the spells, and actually gave me some of the ones that I would have gotten in QFG2, 3, and 4. I'll have to do another check after QFG2 to see if I get levitate and reversal, but so far, the 1.2 version is giving me more spells than I recalled seeing.

Then comes the other problem with the game... the weird pseudo 3D view and the fighter combat system, not a good combination. I'd highly suggest "borrowing" the QFG2 VGA's combat system for a QFG5 remake, AGDI took the best combat system in the series and made it better.

Almagnus1
Peasant Status

#25 Post by Almagnus1 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:17 pm

Soo..... is there any easy way to get a game script for QFGV?

I think that would be the easiest way to start a reinterpretation of the game, and at least allow some sort of design plan to be drafted from the script, hopefully giving you enough definition and direction so the construction and coding part will be a bit easier.