Some Constructive Criticsm

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

Re: Some Constructive Criticsm

#101 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:15 am

do you think the OP will actually buy your product now or in the future?? certainly i will not buy any product from you.
Ah, but that won't stop you from downloading and playing all our free games will it?

One thing has nothing to do with the other. This is a free project being worked on in our spare time. If someone's going to act like an ass, then don't be surprised if people treat them in a similar manner. As has been noted, there's a way to mention these things constructively, and there's a way to come across like a troll. Posters should take a moment to consider that before typing their thoughts to understand how their post will be perceived by overworked developers who have been donating time to this project for 8 years and asking nothing in return.

I have noticed that a great many people in the adventure community can dish it out, but as soon as their own tender sensibilities are targeted, it becomes a whole different story. Why is this? Surely, if the OP wasn't an attempt at attention-seeking, the poster would at least return to clarify his points in a more constructive manner and clear things up. Just because we're also selling a product through another company doesn't mean we have to tolerate everything that gets thrown our way. You're not the first person to make such a threat (had plenty of those and worse!) and you certainly won't be the last. I'm sure you're well aware of the adage that you can't please everyone and that it's foolish to try to. All I can say is that if you want to buy our game, then buy it. If you don't, then don't. Just know that this won't have any effect on how we choose to deal with trolls or attention seekers on our forums.

Solarkid
Knight Status

#102 Post by Solarkid » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:53 am

facebook wrote: result? you have people bashing him/her saying he's a newbie, etc... this follow up with 3 pages of you 'old-timer' and even developer making jokes about it.
Hmm, well i had been lurking for around 6 years before i signed up, but i would hardly call myself an 'Old timer' nor would i call myself a 'fanboy', so im not quite sure where i come into your theory.

If you actually read the events that took place in this thread im pretty surprised you're saying this. Admitted, some people did immidiatly get offended by the two complainants, but the majority of people accepted what they had to say, it was only when one of them started flaming members of the forums that people got angry, and of course when people are annoyed at someone they are gonna use anything they can against them, (including the fact that those people were complaining about something they love).

If you look at other complaints people have made in other threads, you will see that unless they are made alongside unpleasantness and malice, they are generally well recieved.

I would also add that when someone is with people of a certain type, they do have to be careful to act in ways which don't offend those people, if you consider the first complaint made in this thread, about the art work being 'atrocious' surely you can understand that there will be some who are offended by such a comment, people here are extremely excited to see Eriq producing such art, and then one person (who is brand new to the forums) casts it off with a single word 'atrocious'. He would have offended far fewer people if he had said he didn't like something about the artwork and explained what it was that he disliked.

Dave

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#103 Post by Blackthorne519 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:37 pm

I, certainly, for one will not be buying any of your free products. Perhaps if your free product was better, I would buy it. As for the original poster, he's obviously a man of great taste and concern, as he's been back many, many, many times to clarify his original stance.

It's just this kind of logical reaction you've given that makes me almost want to start my boycott of all adventure games, in general, but you're lucky because I won't. I will, however, as threatened - reduce the amount of time I spend here, and thusly reduce the amount of posts I make here. I will now only spend 7 hours a day surfing the forums, and I will decrease my number of posts from 25 to 21 a day. I really hope you're satisfied. You're not getting a DIME OUT OF ME, QFG2!!!

Site sucks, game sucks, you suck, I love you.

Bt

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#104 Post by Angelus3K » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:03 pm

Bt you NEED your own chatshow. It would be hilarious! :lol

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#105 Post by Lady Pyro » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:12 pm

facebook wrote:i feel like signing up an account just to give a comment on this.. if AGD / Himalaya Studios wants to be successful, they can't really treat their poster (potential customers) like this..

all the op did was comment that he/she can't see the main page properly, and he doesn't like the arts.

result? you have people bashing him/her saying he's a newbie, etc... this follow up with 3 pages of you 'old-timer' and even developer making jokes about it.

do you think the OP will actually buy your product now or in the future?? certainly i will not buy any product from you.
Blaming the Company for it's fan base is a bit ridiculous.
There are fanatics for EVERYTHING and if you let them scare you off you're going to miss out.
That being said, this thread has 'constructive criticsm' (which we'll assume is meant to be criticism) right in the title but offers none up.
Saying "The artwork itself is. . .atrocious" isn't. Notice the 'Constructive' part? That's supposed to imply that said criticism will help you improve. Saying something sucks doesn't help.
So the way I see it, if someone's posting just to be an ass then they deserve to get torn up.
By the way, I'd brace myself for that if I were you as well.

Avoozl
Peasant Status

#106 Post by Avoozl » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:04 am

This post is concerning the earlier post about the art work being atrocious. I don't think that it is bad at all as a matter of fact it is really good. People have different opinions on what they think good art is. Some people like cartoonish art work as do I, so from that perspective I don't feel that it was accurate to say that the art work is bad. Just my opinion.

JustLuke32
Royal Servant Status

#107 Post by JustLuke32 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:38 pm

I agree with you. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that I'd love to see a high-res QfG game adopt the art style that features on the homepage. Great stuff.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#108 Post by Angelus3K » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:00 pm

Yea I've mentioned to Eriq that'd I'd love an adventure game with those style of graphics!

JustLuke32
Royal Servant Status

#109 Post by JustLuke32 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:18 pm

Absolutely. If the AGDs have a spare day or two, they should bump of the res. of QfG 2 to 1024x768 with 32bit colour and replace all the artwork with new stuff in this style. I mean, how hard could it be?

gamecreator
Knight Status

#110 Post by gamecreator » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:16 pm

JustLuke32 wrote:Absolutely. If the AGDs have a spare day or two, they should bump of the res. of QfG 2 to 1024x768 with 32bit colour and replace all the artwork with new stuff in this style. I mean, how hard could it be?
Famous last words... :p

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#111 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:28 pm

JustLuke32 wrote:Absolutely. If the AGDs have a spare decade or two, they should bump of the res. of QfG 2 to 1024x768 with 32bit colour and replace all the artwork with new stuff in this style.
Fixed. Though, the game is already in 32-bit colour.
I mean, how hard could it be?
That's exactly what AGD2 said about a regular QFG2VGA remake about 8 years ago...

JustLuke32
Royal Servant Status

#112 Post by JustLuke32 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:35 pm

gamecreator wrote:
Famous last words... :)
I've always wanted my last words to be, "Weasels? Weasels? I ain't scared of no stinkin' weasels!" Of course, this has nothing to do with the topic at hand, but still, and rather strangely, I thought it important that all the forum members should know.

MusicallyInspired wrote:
Absolutely. If the AGDs have a spare decade or two...
Bah - what do you know? It's easy, I tells ya! Easy!
That's exactly what AGD2 said about a regular QFG2VGA remake about 8 years ago...
Yeah, I remember. I'm a regular lurky Mc-Lurkerson, you know.