How will you announce QFG2vga?

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Shantzy
Peasant Status

How will you announce QFG2vga?

#1 Post by Shantzy » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:35 pm

Hey.. Wow, nice work with the front page! Very cinematic, like an official movie site or something.
You've guys gone to enormous lengths to come this far with the game. I'm happy to see you'll follow through at last for both our sakes(I'll LOVE to play it, you'll feel great completing it!) :p

Question, when the day comes, how do you intend to announce it? I mean it should really be a bang right? I would try to get in touch with all gaming sites and all retro gaming sites who do articles. It could maybe gain more official notice in a public outlet if there could be an article with you guys and the Coles, or others from the original Sierra Online team.
I don't know but I think you should consider it given that it could produce a number of positive effects.
1. It would be an inspiration for all aspiring fan creators out there, especially when paired with interviews about what you've gone through, advice etc.
2. You can maximise the number of downloads. Hopefully so much that it could serve as a market indicator beneficial to you and anyone planning on targeting the dormant adventure game audience.
3. Perhaps you will even lead an entire new generation into adventure gaming, those who grew up during this early century!
4. Just maybe you will all have a promising future cut out for you in the industry even!

Maybe you want to think of hiring a consultant or agent?

Shantzy
Peasant Status

Re: How will you announce QFG2vga?

#2 Post by Shantzy » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:04 pm

Oh, I forgot.

This could potentially solve your hosting problem aswell. I'm sure some gaming site wouldn't mind having traffic increased to their site if the release party is over there. I don't know if this borders gray legal territory. What happens if people benefit even given the fact that the game is non-profit?

eriqchang
PR Director & Artist

#3 Post by eriqchang » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:57 am

Shantzy,

Are you in PR?

You have some excellent ideas here. Everything you see happening lately with AGD is, in fact, planning for the future. Things are brewing. Magic is in the air.

I think we could use your help writing a fabulous press release? :)

Thanks for the SMART suggestions. You have us even more excited now.

- eriq

Alliance
Knight Status

#4 Post by Alliance » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:03 am

I'm going to twitter the release, of course.

Shantzy
Peasant Status

#5 Post by Shantzy » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:16 am

HA! Thanks Eriq. Sadly I'm not in PR, in which case I'd definately contract you for free, for the love of you guys and the game.

Closest thing I've ever done to press releasing was announcing an ecology encyclopedia to universities over e-mail. Didn't do much more than writing up short e-mails and attaching a pre-written document. Rather tedious stuff, but anyway, I doubt I'm your guy.

At any rate, magic is indeed in the air and there's loads of possibilities. You're sitting on a fantastic game, 4 actually including Al Emmo and the KQ remakes. All should know about it.

Funny anecdote: I played the KQ 2 remake with voice and was heavily immersed from the start. My 7 year younger brother soon joined in and told a friend. They were playing it at his friend's house while into the room steps his dad who, well you guessed, got hooked immediately. I have to ask my brother if that father ever told some of his friends. Even people that are now in their 40's get sucked back in. No wonder, given the nostalgia and quality. Again, all should know about these things.

Chief
Knight Status

#6 Post by Chief » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:39 am

an interview with the Coles about the release and their take on it is a great idea!

i am going to be spreading the news to everyone I can too!

A press release to send to major gaming sites would be grand as well!

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#7 Post by Erpy » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:06 am

I honestly think that if the Coles feel like commenting on the game, they'll do so. No need to drag a reply out of them.

Esquilax
Peasant Status

#8 Post by Esquilax » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:52 am

*Emerges from the forum's deepest shadows* That's a good point Shantzy, and I have been pondering the same thing myself. To pass the time at work (long story), I have been considering the possibility of AGDI enacting a co-ordinated approach across many sites (such as Adventure Gamers and AGS, etc) in the time leading up to the release. Once I considered that possibility, I began to (unintentionally) theorise about how such a campaign could be completed, which lead me to the following theories: AGDI could contact sites ahead of time and arrange for interviews/articles and/or reviews to be pre-written, and then request that they be posted a few days before, or on, the release date. After all, pre-written reviews would add a certain amount of legitimacy to the release and earmark it as something more than an amateurish "indie" project, i.e. a professional-class product. In addition, contacting some of the larger sites such as Gamespot and IGN regarding the release, and perhaps suggesting an accompanying article on remakes and "retrograming" in general (time permitting) would be effective. The latter is, of course, ambitious and unlikely to succeed, but it would provide a lot of coverage. The former however, is far more feasible.

Aside from that, posting the release as early as possible on sites such as Digg and Slashdot would be very effective in encouraging downloads and providing wide coverage, however the trick would be to target the appropriate demographic, so any advertising of the release would be most effective if targeted at sites and fora that cater to those who would be interested in the game in question. The DOSBox and Telltale fora for example, would be a logical place to mention the release, however the issue of "advertising products" on some sites and fora may be a significant stumbling block. Still, any individual forum and/or site that supports those with a persistent penchant for playing such "classics" would be a potential port of call for the AGDI PR machine. That being said, these are only a few options, and it depends upon the amount of time and effort required on behalf of the team, and whether or not there is sufficient time available before the release. If the release is scheduled by the middle of next week for example, then more ambitious marketing strategies may not be possible.

*Stretches* Well, those a few of my own theories on what AGDI could (and might) do for the release, but I like to think that Eriq and Co. have a co-ordinated strategy in place already, making the above redundant. If not, shame! ;) *Returns to shadows*

Note: Yes, I'm a lurker who has been stalking these forums since the old "Tierra" days. Disturbing, innit? ;)

JustLuke32
Royal Servant Status

#9 Post by JustLuke32 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:19 am

In order to announce QfG2 VGA I would first need to gather the following items:

a tall ladder
a pineapple
a fishing rod, complete with spool, hook, and string
a tuxedo
a willing accomplice who doesn't mind heights.

Then the following steps would need to be taken:

1) The ladder would be propped up against, a, a tall tree, b, a tall wall, or c, a suitably tall building.
2) The pineapple would be hooked to the end of the fishing line, and the whole lot would be given to the accomplice who would climb the ladder.
3) I would dress myself in the tuxedo and take up position at the base of the ladder.
4) The pineapple would be quickly winched down until it dangled before me at chest height.
5) I would grab hold of the pineapple (being careful not to prickle my fingers), and bellow: "Ladies and gentlemen. introducing a game more arabesque than the One Thousand and One Nights, more punny than a comedian short on new material, a game even more exciting than a pineapple dangling from the end of a piece of string! I give you... Quest for Glory Two! Let's get ready to ruuuuuumble!"

I can't think of any better way to announce anything, really.

Shantzy
Peasant Status

#10 Post by Shantzy » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:45 pm

I agree with Esquilax. I mean, there's a wide range of things from very difficult to very easy to pull off. Easy would be to update the wikipedia articles when the time comes. It's not much but it gives a little pull and it's better than nothing. There are plenty of things that don't require too much effort all in all.

Printed articles could be great but is probably hard to get working. That's why I thought it could be easier if it was also a story on the quest games, the original creators etc. On the other hand, to get in print is a bit overrated and a tough way to start but there's a big chance of something like that happening all by itself if a coordinated release would be pulled off nicely. The audience for this is already on the internet so.. That idea about a coordinated internet release is definately something.

What else do we got? Computer game conventions, people who knows people at indie radio stations ;-).

Senor Matt
Knight Status

#11 Post by Senor Matt » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:45 am

Well I agree with JustLuke. I'd probably buy anything from someone who gave me an amazing presentation like that!!