Play a Sierra Game!

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Solarkid
Knight Status

Re: Play a Sierra Game!

#51 Post by Solarkid » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:47 am

Hmm, i've never played either space quests....
Which should i start with? Ega or VGA?

Also, are there any abondonia sites i can download them from? I honestly don't have the cash to dish out on a $10 ebay copy.

Dave

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#52 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:29 pm

Don't ask for warez on these forums. Things can get locked pretty quickly.

Solarkid
Knight Status

#53 Post by Solarkid » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:44 pm

Woah, i did not mean to just ask for warez, i was under the impression that abandonia websites could only do what they did because the maker no longer held the copyright? Im really sorry if i breached forum rules, wasn't aware i was doing anything wrong

Dave

adeyke

#54 Post by adeyke » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:00 pm

Copyright basically lasts forever unless the company willingly puts the game into the public domain. sierra hasn't done that to SQ (in fact, they just released a SQ collection two years ago).

MusicallyInspired

#55 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Solarkid wrote:...i was under the impression that abandonia websites could only do what they did because the maker no longer held the copyright?
A common misconception :).

haradan
Knight Status

#56 Post by haradan » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:11 pm

Erpy wrote:
Woah! Respect for that, how long did it take you to get through a single conversation!?
Ha, ha. Well, to be a honest, I used to skip a lot of the descriptions, or just try reading the words I understood to get an idea of what was going on. I used the dictionary mainly to type the orders, and then I learnt the words already, so I could play again up to the same point without opening the dictionary again (I remember I learnt, for example, words like bait, saddle, shoot and dig from KQ4.)

So if you english-speaking people thought parser games were a pain in the butt, just try playing, say, a sweden game with just a dictionary and your determination! :p

Broomie
The Enigma

#57 Post by Broomie » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:49 pm

Well, I managed to get SQ1 up and running on my iPhone. Looks and sounds great! Plays... well quite horribly actually and not in the kind of way I could get used too. It's very buggy at the moment and you can't even use the backspace key as it doesn't work. If you press another key accidentally (which happens a lot) than you'll have you enter it and start all over.

This is through ScummVM which can run AGI games, and it's only a matter of time when I'll be able to play KQ5 and SQ4 and other P&C classics on it!

I might post a video demonstration of Space Quest 1 running on the iPhone, alongside it a quirky but sarcastic commentary from yours truly. Okay, maybe not the latter but when I get some time to tape a video camera to my head like Eriq I'll do it.

MusicallyInspired

#58 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:52 pm

Hey, do the review! I wanna hear it!

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#59 Post by Blackthorne519 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:52 pm

Man. I suck at the Arcade sequence. I musta died about 15 times on the skimmer.

Anyway, here's another update on my SQ1VGA remake of the cliffs.

Bt

Solarkid
Knight Status

#60 Post by Solarkid » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:34 pm

Ohhh me likey!

You should post some stuff on the art thread Bt.
Still playing through Space quest btw, i'll give my experience once i'm done.

Dave

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#61 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:49 am

I died a bunch on the skimmer too BT. The trick is to lower the speed! yes I'm playing the VGA version! you know why? because I don't own the EGA bwahaha! :evil (man there's a lack of evil smileys around here) I got stuck though! I was replaying it and having a wonderful time but blast it all I have no idea what to do when

Spoilaz: ... Edit: nevermind /end Spoila!
I was wondering what to do near the ending but it turns out I hit 3 dead ends in one playthrough.

I ended up having to restart the game twice due to dead ends. I'm used to being in an era post "save early save often" Games with no dead ends is where it's at.

I'm considering doing a let's play of SQ1 VGA just for you guys cause I like you. Of course I'd add in snarky QFGF commentary and narration. it would probably only be 20 minutes to a half hour long. interest?

Also I don't know how many points I achieved. I had 198, stepped into the escape pod, heard the noise for points and the game ended. I wasn't really able to check.