Sink That Ship!

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Barnacleaz the Avenger
Peasant Status

Sink That Ship!

#1 Post by Barnacleaz the Avenger » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:16 am

Okay boys and girls, time is critical! The Dark Knight is the best chance we've had in a long time to finally take down the juggernaut that is Titanic. It currently is at the #3 spot with $441,628,497 Domestic, and will soon take over Star Wars for #2. The problem is, it's fading fast and is not speculated to pass Titanic's 600M. If you care about seeing the ship sink for good, help me get the word out to rally behind the movie and get it out of it's "slump". I'll even design a Sink that Ship tshirt.

Thanks for your consideration.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

Re: Sink That Ship!

#2 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:00 am

I don't care about movies that much, sorry.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#3 Post by Blackthorne519 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:14 am

I like Titanic. People forget that it's a James Cameron masterpiece. Cameron gave us "Aliens" and "Terminator" as well.

Bt

Barnacleaz the Avenger
Peasant Status

#4 Post by Barnacleaz the Avenger » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:33 am

That's true. I have a lot of respect for him as a director (don't forget Abyss). And in all honesty, TDK wouldn't really be considered a "masterpiece". I think I'd just like to see SOMETHING finally get close. It doesn't seem as if anything will touch it. Even after 11 years of movie ticket inflation, it still holds the top honor. What amazes me is that doing 600M domestic is a BIG deal, but it did twice that overseas. 1.8B total worldwide! That's unbelievable. 15 consecutive weekends at #1? What seriously nowadays will ever top that?

Maybe a Quest for Glory movie...

:D

Kloreep
Knight Status

#5 Post by Kloreep » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:00 pm

Meh. No offense, but my interest in seeing The Dark Knight again has little to do with box office records.

Besides, BT is right, I have nothing against Titanic holding its spot. It's not like Doom holds the top spot or anything. Then I might be tempted to shell out cash. ;)

JustLuke32
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by JustLuke32 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:47 pm

I'm not sure if I would like to see a Batman flick top the list either. Hmm. So, for the sake of harmony and maintaining the cinematic status quo, I say: keep the ship - drown the bat!

Fender178
Knight Status

#7 Post by Fender178 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:32 pm

Well many people think that the Dark Knight did its job by taking down Spiderman3's records and I think taking over the number 2 spot over Starwars which will be a huge milestone though.

Solarkid
Knight Status

#8 Post by Solarkid » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:22 pm

But.....Starwars is awesome, you can't take it away from its number 2!!
i won't let you...I WON'T

Dave

Broomie
The Enigma

#9 Post by Broomie » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:46 pm

Well, I've already done my bit and seen it. Unfortunately I was a bit disappointed with TDK but it certainly has made it's mark on society. I don't think it will surpass Titanic but it will get close. The difference is that Titanic appealed to a larger audience, Leonardo DiCaprio pretty much had the female audience covered and the male audience didn't exactly feel embarrassed walking into it and the story of the Titanic would appeal to an older audience as well so you had so many different kinds of people who would want to see it and therefore generate a bigger gross. The Dark Knight really only appeals to the men though, it's an action packed thrill ride which rarely pulls in women and the actors involved don't have as much sex appeal as Leo, excluding Heath Ledger but to find his attire sexy is questionable at best. I'm no Mel Gibson though so I don't know what women want (to be quite honest) but I doubt I'd see him as 'The Joker' on a teenage girl's bedroom wall, unless of course a poster of a band called 'Slash Death Metal Fury' resides next to it. On the other hand there are such reasons like Heath's death and the hype which has made this film so popular but it can only go so far, I think it's going to reach it's prime very soon but again I won't be surprised if it does come close to Titanic.

Who knows though? It certainly doesn't show any signs of slowing down, it's been number 1 at the box office for nearly a month which is very impressive.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#10 Post by Angelus3K » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:12 pm

I don't know Broomie, all my female friends have said they loved TDK. Maybe it has something to do with Christian Bale lol!?

Broomie
The Enigma

#11 Post by Broomie » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:43 pm

Don't get me wrong, of course you're find women who love The Dark Knight but they won't be a majority. I'm more or less basing this off stats than common knowledge as actions film like The Dark Knight will attract more men they women, but that doesn't mean no women will want to see it.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#12 Post by Brainiac » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:44 pm

Broomie wrote:...I doubt I'd see him as 'The Joker' on a teenage girl's bedroom wall, unless of course a poster of a band called 'Slash Death Metal Fury' resides next to it...
<vision of a "Why So Serious?" poster next to a Metalocalypse poster on a pink bedroom wall>

It could happen. :p