It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:56 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Hype shrouded in mystery
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:42 am 
Offline
Peasant Status

Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:32 am
Posts: 28
I've checked in on this project from time to time for many years now being a huge fan of the series and in particular (as I'm sure many of you are as well) QFG2. I wouldn't go so far as to call myself a lurker because I really haven't read the forums all that much... just enough to see that release wasn't close and then leave for months/years at a time.

Recently I've seen a lot of buzz (in addition to the home page change) that suggests the game is nearing release. I've done a few searches (of course nothing super in depth as I'm sure someone will point out) and while I see people asking for release dates and speculation that those kinds of questions will lead to spiteful withholding of the game (jokingly, of course), I don't actually see anyone official giving any answers.

So my question is basically why? Is the game nearing release or isn't it? If it is, why has a date for release not been set or at least ballparked (forgive me if it has and I just can't find it)? Is there some testing still going on?

I think it's pretty obvious that the desire here is to build hype and momentum for release, I'm just not quite sure why that means no dates (even tentative ones) are given.

If not, thanks for working on this great project and I will drift off into cyber sleep for the months/years needed to complete this.

Thanks for any information.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hype shrouded in mystery
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:45 am 
Offline
Royal Servant Status

Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:29 am
Posts: 77
I love posts like this. You're insinuating that the game won't be released for months/years in order to draw out an "Oh, really? Well, it'll be released on the 22nd of August, smart guy!" type of response, right? Ho ho - good luck with that.

Disclaimer: I don't think that QfG 2 will be released on the 22nd of August. That was just an example. I have nothing to do with AGDi.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hype shrouded in mystery
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:06 am 
Offline
Vampiric Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2003 6:54 am
Posts: 3963
Location: Newcastle, UK
The game will be released when it's ready. Simple as that really. ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hype shrouded in mystery
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:51 am 
Offline
Peasant Status

Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:03 pm
Posts: 33
JustLuke32 wrote:
I love posts like this. You're insinuating that the game won't be released for months/years in order to draw out an "Oh, really? Well, it'll be released on the 22nd of August, smart guy!" type of response, right? Ho ho - good luck with that.

I don't think it's like that at all. I think it's more like this:

1) AGDI has told us the game is nearing release
2) AGDI won't give us anything more than that related to timing
3) The Website has been a good source of teasers and build up of hype
4) The Website hasn't seen an update in 5 days, nor have we heard from the dev team in that time.

If there was some sort of progression whether it be meaningful or not happening somewhere, I think the 2nd fact wouldn't be an issue. However because of the 4th fact, the website has lost it's value for the time being in this respect. I think what some of us are afraid of is the relative definition of "near". I mean after working on a project for over seven years - it could be that near refers to a small period of lets say, 3 months. It could be that it was supposed to refer to a small time period of a couple of weeks and perhaps something has gone awry that the team is desperately trying to deal with in the background. It could even be that the game will be released today and that the OP and myself end up looking like total asses before the day is out.

I would prefer the latter over all other possibilities of course. Though at this point I would've prefered the no hype at all approach. It would've been so much better for AGDI to have updated their website spontaneously for the actual release of the game at the same time without any hype at all. This might've had the side effect of causing such excitement amongst the gamer community, the internet itself would struggle to survive the onslaught of awesomeness and pure shock. That is risk I would be willing to take :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hype shrouded in mystery
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:20 am 
Offline
Peasant Status
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:27 pm
Posts: 34
Be patient.


yeesh.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hype shrouded in mystery
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:37 pm 
Offline
The Master of All Things Musical
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 8:57 pm
Posts: 4025
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Angelus3K wrote:
The game will be released when it's ready. Simple as that really. ;)

_________________
01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01100011 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01100001 00100000 01101100 01101001 01100101 00101110


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hype shrouded in mystery
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:55 pm 
Offline
The Prince of Shapeir

Joined: Tue May 08, 2001 4:12 am
Posts: 8872
Location: Phobos
Hey, guys,

We'll be announcing the release date fairly soon. Bear in mind that the correspondence course teasers on the front page are going to run their course. Gearing up to launch a revamped website AND a game release simultaneously is no small task. Some of the people working on these things also have real-life jobs and commitments which unfortunately must take priority over free stuff.

Most large game developers release these kinds of teaser updates months apart, so several days is not really that long time to wait between course updates. The wait isn't going to be much longer though, and once it's announced I'm sure you'll hear about it pretty quickly.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hype shrouded in mystery
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:02 pm 
Offline
Knight Status
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:36 am
Posts: 168
Location: USA
In response to the OP: I'm sure we'd all love tentative dates, but let's be honest... how many people would jump on AGDI's back if they didn't release their free game on a date they announced might or might not be the day? Much as I'd love to have faith in people, just look at some of the posts that have been made around here recently, e.g. in response to Eriq's freely donated expertise...

darkgamorck wrote:
It would've been so much better for AGDI to have updated their website spontaneously for the actual release of the game at the same time without any hype at all.


You know, I'm pretty sure I've seen the exact opposite kind of statement around these forums - people saying they want to be informed of when it's coming and that they'd be steamed if they were delayed in getting their hands on the release because AGDI stealth-unleashed it upon the net without any notice.

I'm not saying that you should change your own opinion, just pointing out how hard it is for AGDI to please everyone. I'm sure they went with the approach they felt was best.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hype shrouded in mystery
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:36 pm 
Offline
Peasant Status

Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:32 am
Posts: 28
JustLuke32 wrote:
I love posts like this. You're insinuating that the game won't be released for months/years in order to draw out an "Oh, really? Well, it'll be released on the 22nd of August, smart guy!" type of response, right? Ho ho - good luck with that.

Disclaimer: I don't think that QfG 2 will be released on the 22nd of August. That was just an example. I have nothing to do with AGDi.


Yes. I'm trying to 'draw out a response' by asking a direct question. Thanks for wishing me luck in my endeavor. I am not, however, insinuating anything. Not sure how you read that from my post.


Angelus3K wrote:
The game will be released when it's ready. Simple as that really. ;)


I guess that's what I'm confused by. I'm not so sure this is the case. It seems the game IS ready, or at least I can't seem to find any evidence one way or the other. Really I'm just looking for some sort of intent. Is there some goal that needs to be reached before announcement (i.e. course progression)? Is the game still being worked on?

Thanks for the answer, but empty tautologies are not really useful.


The website redesign is awesome. The front page graphics and music are excellent and there is a real high quality feel to the entire site. The courses are well written and sprinkled with flavorful goodies. The only problem, that I see, is that there is almost no information on the game. Hence my questions.


Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:
Hey, guys,

We'll be announcing the release date fairly soon. Bear in mind that the correspondence course teasers on the front page are going to run their course. Gearing up to launch a revamped website AND a game release simultaneously is no small task. Some of the people working on these things also have real-life jobs and commitments which unfortunately must take priority over free stuff.

Most large game developers release these kinds of teaser updates months apart, so several days is not really that long time to wait between course updates. The wait isn't going to be much longer though, and once it's announced I'm sure you'll hear about it pretty quickly.


Fantastic! So is it correct to interpret this as 'announcement will follow on the heels of the course teasers'?

Honestly I'm not trying to be rude or a pest and I apologize if it comes across this way. I understand these tasks are large and coupling that with the fact that you guys are doing this without any compensation blows me away. I'm just curious if I should keep checking the site daily or hold off because it's going to be a while yet.

Thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hype shrouded in mystery
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:30 pm 
Offline
Knight Status

Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:18 pm
Posts: 304
Location: The Netherlands
Actually, I'm glad we're getting these 'teasers'. I like the production clips and Eriq's rants. More fun than just releasing the game without any build up.

_________________
I'm a Professional
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hype shrouded in mystery
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:44 pm 
Offline
Knight Status
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:36 am
Posts: 168
Location: USA
Wayninja: While it would appear the game proper is completed, you may have missed some tidbits that there is indeed work needed behind the scenes. AGDI needs enough mirrors ready and waiting for the file (it sounds like they're doing fine in terms of capacity that's been offered, but I haven't seen it mentioned if the actual preparations are complete). Also, I think someone mentioned that the manual is not finished.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hype shrouded in mystery
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:00 pm 
Offline
Peasant Status

Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:32 am
Posts: 28
Kloreep wrote:
Wayninja: While it would appear the game proper is completed, you may have missed some tidbits that there is indeed work needed behind the scenes. AGDI needs enough mirrors ready and waiting for the file (it sounds like they're doing fine in terms of capacity that's been offered, but I haven't seen it mentioned if the actual preparations are complete). Also, I think someone mentioned that the manual is not finished.


I saw the part about the mirrors, but can't bring myself to believe that they are actually waiting on this. Not that it isn't important, just that I'm sure adequate mirrors can be found in a relatively short time.

I did not know that about the manual though, thanks for that.

So if I'm reading all of this right, there are 3 things that need to happen before release:

1. Mirrors need to be found - Does anyone know the status of this?

2. Manaul needs to be completed. - Again, anyone know where this is at?

3. Course teasers need to play out. It doesn't seem like they progress like clockwork, but it seems anywhere from a few days to around 2 weeks per teaser or so. I wonder how much the timing of the teasers relates to the other 2 items...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hype shrouded in mystery
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:07 pm 
Offline
Royal Vizier Status
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:37 am
Posts: 2298
Location: Central New York
Yeah, gearing up to launch a game isn't a walk in the park. It's not just a matter of - oh, it's done, here it is. There's LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of behind the scenes work to ensure that it goes smoothly and that EVERYONE can get it. Remember, there's going to be literally thousands of people all grabbing for it an once.

And, honestly, it's none of our business how "done" the manual is or how "done" the mirrors are. That's, honestly, AGDI's business. You'll know how done they are when you can get them!

It'll be soon, dear children. Soon.

Oh, yeah, game sucks, you suck, your release date sucks, this whole thing sucks, I can't imagine spending much more that 28 days playing it. In a row. Love you.


Bt

_________________
You've got to be crazy; you gotta have a real need.  You gotta sleep on your toes, and when you're on the street, you got to be able to pick out the easy meat with your eyes closed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hype shrouded in mystery
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:32 pm 
Offline
Knight Status
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:54 pm
Posts: 351
There was also a mention of an installer needing to be created, tested on multiple computers and approved, I believe, which also takes time.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hype shrouded in mystery
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:33 pm 
Offline
Peasant Status

Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:32 am
Posts: 28
Blackthorne519 wrote:
Yeah, gearing up to launch a game isn't a walk in the park. It's not just a matter of - oh, it's done, here it is. There's LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of behind the scenes work to ensure that it goes smoothly and that EVERYONE can get it. Remember, there's going to be literally thousands of people all grabbing for it an once.


Yes, I know. It's not an uncommon occurance. Distributing software is not exactly rocket science. It most definitely can be as easy as 'oh, it's done, here it is', but I understand that the requirements for distribution (from AGDI's perspective) are more rigorous than simply the spreading of the download.

Blackthorne519 wrote:
And, honestly, it's none of our business how "done" the manual is or how "done" the mirrors are. That's, honestly, AGDI's business. You'll know how done they are when you can get them!


No reason to be indignant over a simple question. Is there something offensive in the asking? Thanks for the empty tautology, however. Very useful.

Blackthorne519 wrote:
It'll be soon, dear children. Soon.

Oh, yeah, game sucks, you suck, your release date sucks, this whole thing sucks, I can't imagine spending much more that 28 days playing it. In a row. Love you.


Bt


Um, huh?

gamecreator wrote:
There was also a mention of an installer needing to be created, tested on multiple computers and approved, I believe, which also takes time.


Ah, I did not know that. Of course it takes time, which is certainly reasonable. I want to be clear. I am in no way trying to bash or poke the devs with a stick for a release date. The intention of this thread is simply to gather information that doesn't seem to be centralized anywhere.

Having said that, it seems there are 4 things on the 'to do' list before release:

1. Mirrors
2. Manual
3. Course teaser progression
4. Installer built and tested

Does anyone know of any others?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hype shrouded in mystery
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:18 pm 
Offline
The Prince of Shapeir

Joined: Tue May 08, 2001 4:12 am
Posts: 8872
Location: Phobos
We have chosen a release date already, but we're not going to announce or elaborate on it yet, for the simple fact that things do not always go according to plan and people will hold us to that if we can't meet the date that we have in mind. In all likelihood, we will meet this date, but unexpected last-minute delays occur from time to time.

Additionally, just look at the various reactions of people in the threads in the General Forum. Each person reacts differently to matters surrounding the release date. If a date was given and then revoked, some might accept the potential setback as a part of the development process; but you can bet that others would be hostile about it. Announcing a release date too early can lead to a volatile situation which will only create more delays in the long run.

There's really no point in trying to determine how near the game's release is based on what has and hasn't been done yet, as that's only partially relevant in the entire scheme of things. We need to pick a projected date and stick to that. Even if the game installer is ready a week before that date arrives, we still have to hold off on the release until then, while everything else that leads up to that date is prepared. Trust us, we've done this 3 times before and we know what we're doing. Relax. The game will be out sooner than later!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hype shrouded in mystery
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:47 pm 
Offline
Peasant Status

Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:32 am
Posts: 28
I feel very relaxed. I'm a bit perplexed by the seeming climate of hostility to questions however. Not that I'm saying you are hostile, I'm just getting that vibe from a lot of folks here. I understand the dilemmia associated with release dates and the expectation that engenders.

Certainly I have no expectation of authority in the matter of release dates and you as the makers of this game have every right to handle the release in any way you want.

I'm simply looking for any information that is available. Since you have already stated that it's not a worthy endeavor, I will refrain from keeping the to do list.

Is there any information you can give regarding what preparations are being made leading up to the release?

Thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hype shrouded in mystery
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:08 pm 
Offline
Royal Vizier Status
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:37 am
Posts: 2298
Location: Central New York
Dude, it's not rocket surgery. The game will be out soon.

I suppose the hostility comes from people asking obviously stupid questions. If one had taken the time to read certain threads in the forum thoroughly, one would have answers. Obviously you want specific answers, but none are available at this time. This will all be moot as soon as the game is released.

If you want to know the specifics of the behind the scenes production, I suggest you program your own game, make a website, and prepare it for release. I think you will garner the answers you seek if you procede in that manner.

Wayninja wrote:
Blackthorne519 wrote:
It'll be soon, dear children. Soon.

Oh, yeah, game sucks, you suck, your release date sucks, this whole thing sucks, I can't imagine spending much more that 28 days playing it. In a row. Love you.


Bt



Um, huh?


It's a joke referencing another thread.

Bt

_________________
You've got to be crazy; you gotta have a real need.  You gotta sleep on your toes, and when you're on the street, you got to be able to pick out the easy meat with your eyes closed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hype shrouded in mystery
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:26 pm 
Offline
The Prince of Shapeir

Joined: Tue May 08, 2001 4:12 am
Posts: 8872
Location: Phobos
Sometimes these things have to be stated clearly so that our standpoint is understood. I'll admit that these questions get asked very frequently and the answers are unchanging which can lead to frustration for some, however, in making a popular game with such large public appeal, that's a given and has to be expected.

Quote:
Is there any information you can give regarding what preparations are being made leading up to the release?


Having this info won't help in deducing a release date if that's what you're hoping. :lol The remaining workload pretty much encompasses the stuff that has already been mentioned. The PR campaign/Correspondence Courses running their course, our website being ready (both to put the download link on and also to handle our mailing list newsletter), and the mirrors being prepared. It's true that it doesn't take long to get the game uploaded to mirrors, but that task has to be performed very close to the release date so that there's less chance of an unscrupulous server owner leaking the game early (or of someone else stumbling across the download link prematurely). There's basically a sequence of events that have to occur in order right up to the release date, and we need an adequate amount of time and space to do that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hype shrouded in mystery
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:11 pm 
Offline
Peasant Status

Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:32 am
Posts: 28
Blackthorne519 wrote:
Dude, it's not rocket surgery. The game will be out soon.


First it's very complex and now it's very simple. Hmmm...

Blackthorne519 wrote:
I suppose the hostility comes from people asking obviously stupid questions. If one had taken the time to read certain threads in the forum thoroughly, one would have answers. Obviously you want specific answers, but none are available at this time. This will all be moot as soon as the game is released.


So, If had taken the time to read, I would have answers that are not available? Thanks, that clears it up.

I don't quite understand how my questions were 'obviously stupid'. Stupid questions are not equivalent to ones in which no information is available to answer.

Despite this, I still don't see how your perceiving a stupid question would make you hostile. Are you taking steroids or something?


Blackthorne519 wrote:
If you want to know the specifics of the behind the scenes production, I suggest you program your own game, make a website, and prepare it for release. I think you will garner the answers you seek if you procede in that manner.


I'm not interested in the behind the scenes production of my game, I'm interested in this one. Hard to believe that required clarification.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hype shrouded in mystery
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:13 pm 
Offline
Forum Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2001 8:28 pm
Posts: 11434
Location: The Netherlands
Relax, guys. Everyone's anxious to see the game released, including us. We don't have a release date to announce yet, but it will be soon.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hype shrouded in mystery
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:24 pm 
Offline
Peasant Status

Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:32 am
Posts: 28
Erpy wrote:
Relax, guys. Everyone's anxious to see the game released, including us. We don't have a release date to announce yet, but it will be soon.

Image



Thanks, Erpy, good to see your avatar hasn't changed well... possibly ever?

If I could trouble for you for one more clarification? Is it correct to assume based on this statement that a release date WILL be announced before the game is actually released? Forgive me if this has been answered.

And to all those enraged by my questions, may I suggest a stickied FAQ with these positions stated in them might decrease the amount of asking?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hype shrouded in mystery
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:38 pm 
Offline
The Prince of Shapeir

Joined: Tue May 08, 2001 4:12 am
Posts: 8872
Location: Phobos
Quote:
Is it correct to assume based on this statement that a release date WILL be announced before the game is actually released? Forgive me if this has been answered.


That, we haven't decided yet. As I mentioned, it all depends on how smoothly things are running and whether we're 100% sure that we can meet said release date -- lest we face the wrath of the general public.

Quote:
And to all those enraged by my questions, may I suggest a stickied FAQ with these positions stated in them might decrease the amount of asking?


Believe me, they'll still continue to ask at the same rate. It's just the nature of the beast.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hype shrouded in mystery
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:42 pm 
Offline
Peasant Status

Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:32 am
Posts: 28
Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:
That, we haven't decided yet. As I mentioned, it all depends on how smoothly things are running and whether we're 100% sure that we can meet said release date -- lest we face the wrath of the general public.


Argggg... That is frustrating. I understand that you are not giving a release date at this time, but you cannot even say whether or not you will EVER give a release date before the game is released? Meh, at least it's a direct and honest answer. Thanks!


Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:
Believe me, they'll still continue to ask anyway. It's just the nature of the beast.


Sure, but at least 1 person less would have asked... :D
Not to mention the added benefit of being able to refer to the FAQ in response instead of having to tell the uninformed such as myself the same things over and over...

'nature of the beast'... Is that an Aziza pun?

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:
Having this info won't help in deducing a release date if that's what you're hoping. :lol


Guilty as charged.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hype shrouded in mystery
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:03 pm 
Offline
Royal Vizier Status
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:37 am
Posts: 2298
Location: Central New York
wayninja wrote:
Blackthorne519 wrote:
Dude, it's not rocket surgery. The game will be out soon.


First it's very complex and now it's very simple. Hmmm...


The process is complex. The answers are simple.

Bt

_________________
You've got to be crazy; you gotta have a real need.  You gotta sleep on your toes, and when you're on the street, you got to be able to pick out the easy meat with your eyes closed.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group