QG4 Problem... and it's NOT the infamous Error 52

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Earthsetjake
Peasant Status

QG4 Problem... and it's NOT the infamous Error 52

#1 Post by Earthsetjake » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:00 pm

I've managed to defeat the cave entrance bugs and the Error 52 bugs but encountered another issue while fighting a wraith. As soon as I defeat the wraith, and flex my muscles, the game freezes up. I've tried a billion different ways to approach the fight but to no avail. Any ideas/comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Peter Swinkels
Knight Status

Re: QG4 Problem... and it's NOT the infamous Error 52

#2 Post by Peter Swinkels » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:05 pm

What operating system are you using? Also, are you running Quest for Glory inside an emulator such as Dosbox?

Earthsetjake
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Earthsetjake » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:08 pm

Using XP and running CD version of QFG. I'm Using VDMSound which up to this point has proven to be just as effective as DosBox.

Bigfan
Peasant Status

#4 Post by Bigfan » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:25 pm

That sounds similar to a problem I've always had. I usually run it in DOSBox, but no matter what I do, the Adventurer's Guild door freezes up every time I go through it. The problem is usually solved incrementally by moving my mouse over the toolbar and then back into the game window. Doing this a half dozen times gets me through it. Might be worth a shot.

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

#5 Post by Schloss Ritter » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:08 pm

Right after installing the game, always apply the patch from this site: http://geocities.com/belzorash/

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#6 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:06 pm

DO. NOT. USE. VDMSound. It's deprecated. It's not updated anymore and it's glitchy (like MIDI music being played back at annoyingly slower speeds). Basically it seems abandoned in favour of DOSBox. That's the way to go.

Solarkid
Knight Status

#7 Post by Solarkid » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:59 pm

Really? im surprised you say that, i've used VDMsound for ages now with many many games and never had a problem, it's so much simpler than dosbox, you just start the game and go.

Dave

AlcoholicPenguin
Peasant Status

#8 Post by AlcoholicPenguin » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:20 pm

Try turning your speed bar all the way up and your detail all the way down. You'd be surprised how many problems that fixes.

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

#9 Post by Schloss Ritter » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:38 am

If you use one of the frontends for DosBox (D-Fend is what I have used), you can "just start the game and go" as the frontend should save all the DosBox settings you need to run that game aln load DosBox for you. You can even set up a shortcut to run the game without loading the frontend or DosBox first.

Kloreep
Knight Status

#10 Post by Kloreep » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:47 pm

Yeah, once you familiarize yourself with setting up a .conf file (mostly it's just copying the original conf file and then adding in the commands to navigate to the game) you can create a shortcut and click & go. DOSBox is just far more powerful. VDMSound emulates, well, sound; everything else about the game that can screw up due to modern system speeds will still do so. DOSBox emulates everything, and so can (potentially) fix everything.

Far be it from me to tell you what to do if you already know what you want. :) But VDMSound is definitely not as effective as DOSBox.

MusicallyInspired

#11 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:55 pm

Bottom line is you can't expect to play an old DOS game flawlessly without getting used to using something like DOSBox. There's no easy point&click shortcut solution. At least not without a bit of work beforehand.

Kloreep
Knight Status

#12 Post by Kloreep » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:05 pm

As far as DOSBox goes, it's really not too much work anyhow, at least once you learn the four or five lines in the DOSBox file you actually need to worry about. Sure, it might take you about 15 minutes of testing to get the game running to your satisfaction, but isn't that worth good performance in a game you'll be playing for hours?

Anyway, I'm sure people who are getting by just fine without DOSBox are wondering what I'm up on this soapbox for, so I should probably get off. :)

DonQuixote
Royal Servant Status

#13 Post by DonQuixote » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:24 pm

I have the same problem with I use VDM Sound--all my battles freeze up, some more quickly than others, no matter how much I fiddle with anything else. Using DOSBox completely solves this problem.

I used to use VDMS for QG1EGA & VGA, QG2, and QG3; and just use DOSBox for QG4 (some times just for the battles); after awhile and after becoming more and more comfortable with DOSBox over the years, I don't even use VDMS anymore because DOSBox really is that much better.

SirFuzzi
Peasant Status

#14 Post by SirFuzzi » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:09 pm

I suppose I'll bug here, and I think my problem's error 52; lemme check. It's the one what with the Chernovies and the Mad Monk's Tomb.

(checking...)

Yeah, it's error 52. I used the patch from ArcadeTimesSquare or whatsitcalled, and even restarted my game, and yet still to no avail. I'm running off DOSBox, if that makes any big difference.

Also, should I not have Reversal active when I go to them? (it errors with or without, just asking)

MusicallyInspired

#15 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:22 pm

Did you install the unofficial script patch fix from this site?

SirFuzzi
Peasant Status

#16 Post by SirFuzzi » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:35 pm

That's the one I downloaded, yes, but it seems to have done nothing. I extract it to my QFG4 folder, right? I did that, but it had no effect. Should I be reinstalling my QFG4 as well or something?

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#17 Post by Brainiac » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:01 am

If you fire up a saved game right on the Error 52 screen from BEFORE the patch was applied, it usually won't fix things. If you have other saves not on that screen, try those. You could also try slowing the speed both in the game and in DOSbox's cycles; that can often fix the problem without patching.

MusicallyInspired

#18 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:08 am

Yes good point. Restoring a save game after installing a patch is like pretending you never installed the patch at all. You'd have to start over.

random_name
Peasant Status

#19 Post by random_name » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:42 am

If you don't want to restart, try slowing down Dosbox as much as possible. You want it just fast enough to run the game without immediately crashing, but slow enough not to encounter the bug :)

MusicallyInspired

#20 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:46 am

I just found a brand new second patch that apparently solves some problems that the previous patch does not. Give it a try.

SirFuzzi
Peasant Status

#21 Post by SirFuzzi » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:52 am

That did it! After ten years, I can finally beat QFG4!!!

Thank you!

MusicallyInspired

#22 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:16 am

:D

Herethos
Peasant Status

#23 Post by Herethos » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:06 am

Its always the same wraith isn't it? the other ones don't lockup.
I remember the floppy version doing the same thing on my 486dx2 80, only way to fix it was to disable the internal or external cache in the bios I don't remember which. Since the game uses a memory extender dos4gw iirc other issues could be fixed by not running with emm386.exe or himem.sys or something like that. I don't think one can fiddle with those in dosbox though.

Kloreep
Knight Status

#24 Post by Kloreep » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:36 am

SirFuzzi (and anyone else having trouble post-belzorash patch): You also want to make absolutely sure that the patch is being used. This can be a problem if you're using DOSBox and mount a subdirectory as C:

The easiest way to be sure is to edit the resource.cfg file in your QFG4 directory and make sure the patchDir line is this:

patchDir=.\

Rather than a full path name, which is easily disrupted by DOSBox or by moving the game folder around.

This may well not be the problem, and it any mid-game patching is indeed going to be spotty at best in fixing things, but it's definitely something any QFG4 user should check if they're having problems running the unofficial patch.