Comparing Apples and Oranges

This forum is for the posting of fan polls and other surveys.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Apples
6%
Oranges
6%
Neither
12%
What's the point?
29%
Pie
24%
Cake
24%

Total votes: 17

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

#1 Post by Schloss Ritter » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:04 pm

As requested by Brainiac...
Brainiac wrote:You make the "comparing apples and oranges" poll, I'll vote in it. Presuming there's a "what's the point?" option, of course. :p
Last edited by Schloss Ritter on Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Re: Comparing Apples and Oranges

#2 Post by Brainiac » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:24 pm

And as promised, my "What's the point?" vote has been cast.

oughtobe
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by oughtobe » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:31 pm

Oranges all the way, the best juiciest, dank tasting orange, is much better to me than the best tasting apple... I even like pears more than apples... people who use this weak cliche' are scared to be judged or to have the things they love/like be judged... get over it... your mind judges things, and it can always be done objectively...

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#4 Post by Brainiac » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:00 pm

oughtobe wrote:...your mind judges things, and it can always be done objectively...
No offense, but do you even understand the definition of "objectively"?

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

#5 Post by Schloss Ritter » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:08 pm

Ah, the old objective/subjective mix-up. I know I can never remember which is which.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#6 Post by Gronagor » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:27 pm

Heh. And I voted 'Neither'! Woohoo!

oughtobe
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by oughtobe » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:21 pm

Brainiac wrote:
oughtobe wrote:...your mind judges things, and it can always be done objectively...
No offense, but do you even understand the definition of "objectively"?
I know that if you judge things objectively you produce facts...

Fact, oranges, on the average, produce more juice than apples...

Fact, oranges, on the average, are more sweet than apples...

Fact, oranges, on the average, need to be peeled, apples do not.

Fact, I enjoy peeling sweet juicy oranges more than apples, so that's how I compare oranges and apples, although I do admit, an apple corer is fun... 8o

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#8 Post by Brainiac » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:27 pm

oughtobe wrote:Fact, I enjoy peeling sweet juicy oranges more than apples, so that's how I compare oranges and apples, although I do admit, an apple corer is fun... 8o
And that's where objectivity breaks down.

Dasilva
Peasant Status

#9 Post by Dasilva » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:03 am

Apples For the Win. ;)

JonWW
Royal Servant Status

#10 Post by JonWW » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:18 pm

Yes Apples for the win, just ask Johnny Appleseed.... There is so much you can make with them :)
Apple Pie
Applesauce
Apple Juice
Apple Butter
Apple Cider
Apple crisp
Candy Apple
Caramel Apple
And many other things....

glyfrahnour
Peasant Status

#11 Post by glyfrahnour » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:06 pm

i thought there would be more votes. |I

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

#12 Post by Schloss Ritter » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:30 pm

lol, JonWW, that made me think of Forrest Gump.

So, I finally settled my vote on "Neither", as I usually don't eat either of these any more. Apple peels get stuck between my crooked teeth and cut my gums. Oranges are too much of a pain to peel usually. And both can get your hands inconveniently sticky if they are peeled. I usually eat bananas (easy to peel and dispose of peel), strawberries (tasty), or other bite size fruits. Or I'll eat about any sliced/diced fruit if I have a fork.

TheLonelyPaladin
Peasant Status

#13 Post by TheLonelyPaladin » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:53 pm

Somebody really ought to point out that the whole point of the cliché is that apples and oranges are too dissimiler to make a meaningful comparison thus, objectively speaking, the poll is unanswerable.

Non-objectively speaking, I'm not even sure it's possible to have a strong opinion one way or the other as both have their place and one can't substitute for the other (you can't make an Orange Pie, and Apple Juice is fine in it's own right, but is no substitute for Orange Juice... and for that matter Orange Juice is no substitute for Apple Juice).

PotatoSlayer
Knight Status

#14 Post by PotatoSlayer » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:09 am

although I do admit, an apple corer is fun...
You know back when I swam I met a guy who was training to get on the Olympic Team and he ate the whole apple, core included. I don't remember his name cause it was about 5 years ago but I remember I thought he was fast

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#15 Post by Brainiac » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:21 am

TheLonelyPaladin wrote:Somebody really ought to point out that the whole point of the cliché is that apples and oranges are too dissimiler to make a meaningful comparison thus, objectively speaking, the poll is unanswerable.

Non-objectively speaking, I'm not even sure it's possible to have a strong opinion one way or the other as both have their place and one can't substitute for the other (you can't make an Orange Pie, and Apple Juice is fine in it's own right, but is no substitute for Orange Juice... and for that matter Orange Juice is no substitute for Apple Juice).
Now there is someone who actually does understand the definition of objective (and subjective).

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#16 Post by Gronagor » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:12 pm

TheLonelyPaladin wrote:Non-objectively speaking, I'm not even sure it's possible to have a strong opinion one way or the other as both have their place and one can't substitute for the other (you can't make an Orange Pie, and Apple Juice is fine in it's own right, but is no substitute for Orange Juice... and for that matter Orange Juice is no substitute for Apple Juice).
Yeah. You got that right. I hate both of them in their own right!

oughtobe
Royal Servant Status

#17 Post by oughtobe » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:43 pm

TheLonelyPaladin wrote:Somebody really ought to point out that the whole point of the cliché is that apples and oranges are too dissimiler to make a meaningful comparison thus, objectively speaking, the poll is unanswerable.

You have a point, but I can objectively say that oranges are better than apples, thats why i choose oranges over apples... I cannot say that it is an objective fact that all oranges are better than apples, but I can say, that for me, objectively, oranges are better than apples.... meaning i've taken into consideration all the facts about the two and I would always choose an orange over an apple, but it does remain subjective to whether or not apples are better than oranges, I was just saying that I can come up with an absolute choice between the two.... and distinguish objective facts about the two, one has more juice, sweeter, etc...

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

#18 Post by Schloss Ritter » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:16 pm

oughtobe wrote:You have a point, but I can objectively say that oranges are better than apples, thats why i choose oranges over apples... I cannot say that it is an objective fact that all oranges are better than apples, but I can say, that for me, objectively, oranges are better than apples.... meaning i've taken into consideration all the facts about the two and I would always choose an orange over an apple, but it does remain subjective to whether or not apples are better than oranges, I was just saying that I can come up with an absolute choice between the two.... and distinguish objective facts about the two, one has more juice, sweeter, etc...
If it's "for me" then it's by definition a subjective opinion. And in other peoples subjective opinions, "more juice, sweeter, etc." may not be the better option. There is a lot of double talking going on here to try and seem right.

But seriously, don't take this poll too seriously, anyone. :p

oughtobe
Royal Servant Status

#19 Post by oughtobe » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:28 pm

Schloss Ritter wrote:
oughtobe wrote:You have a point, but I can objectively say that oranges are better than apples, thats why i choose oranges over apples... I cannot say that it is an objective fact that all oranges are better than apples, but I can say, that for me, objectively, oranges are better than apples.... meaning i've taken into consideration all the facts about the two and I would always choose an orange over an apple, but it does remain subjective to whether or not apples are better than oranges, I was just saying that I can come up with an absolute choice between the two.... and distinguish objective facts about the two, one has more juice, sweeter, etc...
If it's "for me" then it's by definition a subjective opinion. And in other peoples subjective opinions, "more juice, sweeter, etc." may not be the better option. There is a lot of double talking going on here to try and seem right.

But seriously, don't take this poll too seriously, anyone. :p
a subjective opinion that i arrived at, objectively... get it? i could have whimsically chose oranges, but i did it objectively... know what i mean? i know this is going off topic of the cliche' apples and oranges kind of, but i'm just stating some facts..

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

#20 Post by Schloss Ritter » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:22 pm

opinion =/= fact

KrushR
Peasant Status

#21 Post by KrushR » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:31 am

being no option for "pie", I opted for "neither".

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#22 Post by DrJones » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:01 pm

Apples all the way! Reuniting princes and princesses since 1857. :lol

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

#23 Post by Schloss Ritter » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:18 pm

KrushR wrote:being no option for "pie", I opted for "neither".
The pie is a lie... err...

Added "Pie" and "Cake"... and oops, seems to have erased all the votes so far... won't be changing that again.

Sorry everyone, re-vote please. For the record, "What's the point?" was leading, followed by a late surge in "Apples" votes for it to take second.