Some GFG4 Help please

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

MKraus
Peasant Status

Some GFG4 Help please

#1 Post by MKraus » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:39 pm

Alright so just like everyone else im excited to play through the games again. However, my qfg4 does not work. If i run it normally or with vdms i don't get anything but a blank black screen and compatibility options don't work.

So i am using dosbox which gets the game running but the voice of the narrator is not present. But what makes it unplayable is the fact the dialogue boxes only remain open for seconds making them unreadable. Oh and i have the cd version and i do have the patch.

So if anyone can help me it would be most appreciated.

linkin182
Peasant Status

Re: Some GFG4 Help please

#2 Post by linkin182 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:50 pm

I sometimes have that problem but then I realise I forgot to put the cd in :D But if you ARE putting the cd in and still have that problem then maybe you didn't load the cd drive properly on dosbox? Cause you can play the game without the cd but you only get the narrations with the cd, so either put the cd in (which I think you probably are doing unlike me :o ) or more than likely check that the cd drive IS properly loaded on dosbox. Hope that helps!

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

#3 Post by Schloss Ritter » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:23 am

Also, assuming you have 500 MB or so free, you can copy the file RESOURCE.AUD from the CD to your QfG4 install directory on your hard drive. This will also prevent any delay in voices that would happen while waiting for the CD drive to spin up, a problem my computer has.

If you copy RESOURCE.AUD to the folder on the hard drive, you have to open Windows Notepad and edit QfG4's RESOURCE.CFG in that folder to point to the local copy of the audio file:

(near the end of RESOURCE.CFG)
resAUD=C:\SIERRA\QG4CD (possibly use resAUD=.\ instead for DosBox; .\ means "this folder")

Also the next two lines should point resSFX= and patchDIR= to the same folder.

Alanor.
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by Alanor. » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:32 am

Here is a detailed tutorial to play QFG4 in DOSBox without the CD with all the files on the harddisk.

---
1. Create a folder on your harddrive for the game and in it, copy the PATCHES folder and the files:

SINST.EXE or INSTALL.EXE (depending on what version of the game you have)
65535.MAP
FLYTHRU.SEQ
INSTALL.HLP
INSTALL.SCR
INSTALL.TXT
RESOURCE.000
RESOURCE.AUD
RESOURCE.CFG
RESOURCE.MAP
RESOURCE.SFX
SIERRA.ERR
SIERRA.EXE
SIERRA.INF
SIERRAW.ICO
VERSION

and all *.DRV files.

2. Unzip the NewRisingSun QfG4CD patch "QfG4CD_NRS-B4.zip" into the PATCHES folder.

3. Open the RESOURCE.CFG file in Notepad and edit it to:

videoDrv = VGA.DRV
soundDrv = GENMIDI.DRV
audioDrv = DACBLAST.DRV
joyDrv = NO
directory = .\
cmd = QG4CD
mouseDrv = NONE
memoryDrv = NONE
minMemory = 1600k
brightness = 0
language = 1
minCPU = 386
CD = yes

resAUD = .\
resSFX = .\
patchDir = .\;.\patches
audiosize = 63k

You can then start the game in DOSBox with SIERRA.EXE. For cycles, first try "auto". If this does not work try setting cycles to 8000 in the dosbox.conf and adjust up (Ctrl+F12) or down (Ctrl+F11) until both the game and the sound runs smoothly. When you find what works best for your PC, you can change the cycles settings in the dosbox.conf.
Or you can set it up to run with a Windows shortcut:

1. Copy the dosbox.conf file from the DOSBox folder to the installed folder.
2. Create a DOSBox shortcut and right click on it and choose "Properties"
3. After the path to DOSBox in the "Target" box add:

C:\Sierra\QG4CD\SIERRA.EXE -conf C:\Sierra\QG4CD\dosbox.conf" -noconsole -exit -fullscreen
OR
E:\QFG4CD\SIERRA.EXE -conf E:\QFG4CD\dosbox.conf" -noconsole -exit -fullscreen

(Note: if your Quest for Glory IV folder is installed in a different location, you will need change the path to match yours.)
The game can now be started in DOSBox from this shortcut. This will mount the QG4CD folder as a "C:" drive, use the dosbox.conf file in the game's folder to configure DOSBox, suppress the console window and close DOSBox when you exit the game. You can customize the shortcut by renaming it (such as Quest for Glory IV) and changing the icon to SIERRAW.ICO.

Edit the dosbox.conf file for any changes to the settings from the DOSBox defaults that you want, like aspect correction (to make the DOSBox window have the same proportions as a monitor) or scaling (2x or 3x) and most importantly, cycles (to adjust the speed of DOSBox.) Many of these settings will be a matter of personal preferences, but some of these settings are critical to getting the game to run right. You might need to experiment with some of these settings to find what works best for your computer.

---

Any more problems post them here and we will solve them ASAP ;)

MKraus
Peasant Status

#5 Post by MKraus » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:07 pm

Okay so i did the what your tutorial told me to do and it works perfectly now! Thank you guys so much!

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

#6 Post by Schloss Ritter » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:21 pm

Well, MKraus got it to work already, but for future reference, looky what I just found...

DOSBox (automated) Installers for some Sierra games: http://www.tawmis.com/collector/Patches ... llers.html