Launch Issues ?? Is the launch file missing

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

advgamer
Peasant Status

Launch Issues ?? Is the launch file missing

#1 Post by advgamer » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:47 am

Hi,

I just downloaded the game, and it installed successfully, but when I try to run the game, it says it can't find the launcher?..and then I check the program directory....and I definitely do not see the launcher???

Does anyone know what is going on???

Thanks....

advgamer

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

Re: Launch Issues ?? Is the launch file missing

#2 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:53 am

The default install directory is:

C:\Program Files\AGD Interactive\Quest for Glory II

...and the launcher filename should be Launcher.exe

How many files in total are in your Quest for Glory II directory not including savegame files? (i.e. savgame files are the ones that look like: agssave.XXX where XXX is a 3-digit number.)

advgamer
Peasant Status

#3 Post by advgamer » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:59 am

Yes, after installing....I downloaded the game twice too...it does not create Launcher.exe - it had launcher.$$a something like that...and then when I renamed it to launcher.exe it worked...but the now for qfg2vga.exe that file...does not exist...but I have files like qfg2vga.$$a etc.

How come I am not able to get the executables in my computer. The download was complete and it says it installed fine.

what is going on? I am quite confused

advgamer

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#4 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:09 pm

I'm really not sure, to be honest. I have never heard any other reports of this. I can only assume it's some quirk that the installer software must have unpacking the files onto your particular system.

Is it only the .exe files that have misnamed extensions? There are only 3 exe files in the directory and they should be as follows:

Launcher.exe
Qfg2vga.exe
winsetup.exe

Do any other files have the .$$a extension? Or is it only those three files? If it's only those 3, you should simply be able to rename them manually to get it working.

What Operating system are you running?

advgamer
Peasant Status

#5 Post by advgamer » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:20 pm

I got this bug FIXED - but this might be important for users with ESET anti-virus application

When I was having this issue, I did notice the launcher file, but it had a .$$a extension, and that me realize that some unpacking issues were going on and then I renamed the launcher file from launcher.$$a to launcher.exe and it worked.

I thought something is preventing the files to get unpacked properly.

So I uninstalled, and this time I disabled my ESET anti-virus application (even though it never gave alerts before)...I just disabled the real-time scanning.

And then I installed the game...and this time around it worked the way it is supposed to.

After installation, I activated ESET anti-virus again - and everything is working quite well.

Its a definitely weird bug, and I can't figure out on what is causing it. But there you have it

Thanks for helping me out guys...

And thanks for this awesome release

PS - Now I have 2 games to play (QFG2, and El Ammo, as I bought it yesterday...and hopefully I will have qfg2 beat, when it arrives on mail)

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#6 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:23 pm

Very strange! I have ESET installed on my system too (the one I developed the game and built the installer file with) and have never had this problem before. Oh, well. Glad you managed to get it sorted out. Enjoy!

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#7 Post by DrJones » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:27 pm

I think that might be a bug in windows installer. That's why they tell you to close all running programs before any installation.

hypn
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by hypn » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:30 pm

advgamer wrote:So I uninstalled, and this time I disabled my ESET anti-virus application (even though it never gave alerts before)...I just disabled the real-time scanning.
Perhaps it had the .exe files open (scanning them), which prevented the installer from renaming them - the same way you can't rename a file you have open?