Odd error

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Tape_Worm
Peasant Status

Odd error

#1 Post by Tape_Worm » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:49 am

So I just tried out the QFG2 remake, it's pretty impressive. I especially like the cut-down map (god I hated that thing in the original).

Anyway, I'm not sure if this is your bug or a limitation of the software you've used to design the game (I'm thinking it's that):
I saved my game, and quit out to change my resolution to something higher (1280x800 on a Dual Core machine - works fine speed-wise, despite the FAQ). When I started the game back up and tried to load my savegame it told me it couldn't read my savegame because there was a screen resolution mismatch. When I dropped back to the original resolution it was able to load the game properly.

Not sure if this is a known thing or not, but I just thought I'd throw that out there just in case other people who aren't familar noticed it as well.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: Odd error

#2 Post by Erpy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:50 am

AGS only allows you to restore games saved under that particular resolution. In other words, pick a resolution and stick with it.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#3 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:58 am

Unless your monitor or video card have issues displaying the game at 320x200 of 320x240 resolution, there's no reason to increase the resolution. Doing so has no graphical benefit whatsoever and the hq filters make the game run incredibly slow and will also ruin the pixel-edited artistic effect of the low-res backgrounds.

If you do have trouble viewing the game in its the native resolution of 320x200, I'd recommend running at 640x400, but don't go any higher than that or use any filters. (though the "2x-nearest-neighbor" one is usually okay to use).

Tape_Worm
Peasant Status

#4 Post by Tape_Worm » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:15 pm

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:Unless your monitor or video card have issues displaying the game at 320x200 of 320x240 resolution, there's no reason to increase the resolution. Doing so has no graphical benefit whatsoever and the hq filters make the game run incredibly slow and will also ruin the pixel-edited artistic effect of the low-res backgrounds.

If you do have trouble viewing the game in its the native resolution of 320x200, I'd recommend running at 640x400, but don't go any higher than that or use any filters. (though the "2x-nearest-neighbor" one is usually okay to use).
I prefer to run my games in windowed mode. Since my desktop resolution is at 1920x1200, a 320x2?0 window makes it extremely difficult to see what's going on in-game. Even at 640x400 it's a little too small for my liking. But so far it's running great at 1280x800 with the (2x) nearest neighbour filtering (oddly enough I prefer the 'pixellated' look of nearest neighbour - seems more retro :D ).

Regardless, good job on the game, it's really awesome.