A bug: crashed while saving game

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Flamberg
Peasant Status

A bug: crashed while saving game

#1 Post by Flamberg » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:38 pm

Well, after years of waiting and anticipation it's really there. The way it meant to be (especially if all the funny stuff mentioned here
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Ar ... Things.htm
is to the full extent implemented in the remake. Worth checking out, just for the sake of them good ol' days :D )

Maybe a separate thread should be dedicated for posting about discovered bugs or what looks to be a bug, in order not to stuff the board with separate threads for each problem. So what I came across. When trying to save game with a name like "123" the game exited to desktop with a message:

"An error has ocurred. Please contact the game author for support, as this is likely to be a scripting error and not a bug in AGS.
(ACI Version 2.72.920)

in Global Script (line 14930)

Error: ListBoxGetItemText: invalid item specified".

I think I know what happened - the "123" was entered on the keypad while NumLock was by chance OFF at the moment. So "End" and "PageDn" were triggered instead of "1" and "3" and that, obviously being not valid symbols for input, crashed the engine. That means some validity checks on input should be introduced to prevent the engine from crashing because of non-intended input types mismatch. So this moment is just worth a bit of extra attention while saving, before the future patch for minor inconsistencies like this is released >D

All in all, you've every reason to be proud at what you've given the chance to others to re-experience or discover for the first time. Thumbs up! :rollin

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: A bug: crashed while saving game

#2 Post by Erpy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:00 pm

I already see what it is. It's not invalid input, but using the cursor keys to move around a completely empty savegame list that crashes the game. Bleh.

As for those things on the fansite, yeah most of them should be in the remake too.

Flamberg
Peasant Status

Re: A bug: crashed while saving game

#3 Post by Flamberg » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:14 pm

Ah yes, using cursor keys regardless of whether numlock is on or off replicates the issue too. Well, after the first succesfull save (non-empty savelist) does not present a problem anymore. But nevertheless, thought you should know. There's no limit to perfection (and bug-hunting too, just in case) :)