Import / export?

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

twitch
Peasant Status

Import / export?

#1 Post by twitch » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:43 pm

Sorry, I couldn't find the details I was looking for using the search (although I'm sure they're there somewhere).

I've never imported a QFG character before. I have QFG1 installed now via DOSBox - do I have to complete the game before I can export my character?

When I import, will it take all statistics along with the character? I recall hearing something about giving imported characters "25 points". Does that mean they will be imported with all their stats and still be given 25 points to spend?

Thanks much!

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Re: Import / export?

#2 Post by Brainiac » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:46 pm

twitch wrote:I've never imported a QFG character before. I have QFG1 installed now via DOSBox - do I have to complete the game before I can export my character?
Yes. Export options occur at the end of every game.
twitch wrote:When I import, will it take all statistics along with the character? I recall hearing something about giving imported characters "25 points". Does that mean they will be imported with all their stats and still be given 25 points to spend?
All imported stats carry over (presuming they are not outside the normal allowable values). An new character gets an extra 50 points to distribute is the player wishes. Since imported characters are typically already better off, they get fewer points to add at the start.

Jack Sawyer
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by Jack Sawyer » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:50 pm

As manyy people have (probably) said before, imported chars get 25 points.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#4 Post by Erpy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:57 pm

(presuming they are not outside the normal allowable values)
Speaking from experience?

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#5 Post by Brainiac » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:00 pm

Erpy wrote:
(presuming they are not outside the normal allowable values)
Speaking from experience?
Personal experience, no. General well-known experience from people who hex-edit often, yes. Weren't there debates around here on the upper limit of the original QfG2's import values (QfG3's was well known to be 255)?

twitch
Peasant Status

#6 Post by twitch » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:36 pm

Thanks everyone - one more question: does completing all 500 game points earn you anything?

twitch
Peasant Status

#7 Post by twitch » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:44 pm

And one more question - I notice if I assign magic points to a fighter in QFG1 VGA that he is still unable to practice magic in-game. Is this supposed to be the case? If I were to assign thief points to a magic user, would he be unable to join the thieves guild?

If I were to assign magic points to him anyway, play the game as a pure fighter, and then export to the new Trial by Fire, would he be able to practice magic then?

Thanks!

adeyke

#8 Post by adeyke » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:07 pm

Just having the magic skill should be enough to allow you to cast spells outside of combat. In combat, the shield interferes with casting. If you want to have a fighter with magic, you can either drop (or, in games with a storage chest, stash) your shield or just only use the spells outside of combat.

Muadeeb
Royal Servant Status

#9 Post by Muadeeb » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:10 pm

twitch wrote:does completing all 500 game points earn you anything?
Warm tingly feeling??
twitch wrote:I notice if I assign magic points to a fighter in QFG1 VGA that he is still unable to practice magic in-game. Is this supposed to be the case? If I were to assign thief points to a magic user, would he be unable to join the thieves guild?
Have you purchased magic from Zara? The Mage class is the only one that starts with spells (zap). He could still join the guild, you just have to either 'make sign' or click the hand on yourself in the alley at night in QFG1 (there is no guild in QFG2). Having hybrids in no way eliminates playing options, it give you more ways to complete the same tasks.

Morningstar
Royal Servant Status

#10 Post by Morningstar » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:44 pm

the only problem with hybrids is that you don't get points for solving a problem with the method of a type that isn't your own...

for example - a thief doesn't get points for casting calm on the bear in the cave, but does for feeding him,

RoBBiE
Peasant Status

#11 Post by RoBBiE » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:33 pm

I couldn't export my character at the end of qfg1vga. Bummer, since it took AGES to get the Dazzle spell. If it doesn´t work, could someone please attach a wizard/export file (with dazzle!:D) for me? Thanks!

Edit: thanks for the fast reply! It seemed to crash at the Baron's hall, but I must have been too impatient. I just needed to wait some time longer for the end-screen. Sorry to have bothered, :\ (feeling a bit dumb)
Last edited by RoBBiE on Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adeyke

#12 Post by adeyke » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:37 pm

What was the problem with the export?