Voice Pack

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Kerebos
Peasant Status

Voice Pack

#1 Post by Kerebos » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:00 pm

I'm sorry if this has been brought up in the past, but I can't find any posts via the search for it.

I'm a huge fan of the QFG4 talkie, and I was wondering if there were any plans for a voice pack like for King's Quest. If not, I've got an audio interface and an audio producing PC to dust off.

Just a suggestion :)

JazzX
Peasant Status

Re: Voice Pack

#2 Post by JazzX » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:04 pm

No, they explain why in the FAQ on the mainsite:

http://www.agdinteractive.com/about/faq/about_faq2.html

JonWW
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by JonWW » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:07 pm

There is currently no plans to make a voice pack. It would take way too much time due to the amount of dialog.

deltamatrix
Knight Status

#4 Post by deltamatrix » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:09 pm

Imagine making a voice pack for a game like this.

"Yes <insert hero name here>, I will accept your offer of <insert crappy price here> for these health pills." - imagine recording that dialogue.

No wonder Hellgate:London didn't even get full speech. The solution would be a text-to-speech generator plugin for AGS in maybe ten years from now. :hat

Kerebos
Peasant Status

#5 Post by Kerebos » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:23 pm

Other games have pulled it off however, omitting details and putting a generic line in, which I see no problem with. I don't see how it becomes a problem with time and budget constraints, if the game is free and you have fans working on the voice pack. Maybe when I go back to the states I'll get a couple people together and start working on a demo of sorts to see if it works. Its not like I'll have anything else to do while I wait for a year till I can go to school.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#6 Post by Erpy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:27 pm

If you check out this discussion, you'll already learn a few things that I'd be repeating otherwise.

Kerebos
Peasant Status

#7 Post by Kerebos » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:14 pm

By no means am I suggesting hiring voice actors whatsoever. I think there are many dedicated fans out there who have talent to put together a fan pack, and I don't mind working on trying it out. I dabble in music from time to time (QFG theme is quite easy to play on keyboard BTW, try it out if you got 10 minutes to spare) and have access to audio recording hardware and software. I have enough pieces here that all I would have to do is spend $200 or so and I would have a makeshift studio in my home. I also have some fans of QFG back home who have an interest in voice work in some capacity and who are damn good at what they do.

I just dont see any harm being done with it, if it is done only as a fan project. Like I said, I'll work on it a little bit around here and if it seems promising I'll post the results of it. I'm not concerned with the lip-sync or anything like that, and I do not expect developer support whatsoever. I merely only wish to leave the door open for potential.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#8 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:16 pm

Sorry, man. The voice pack's not going to happen. I'd also want to be in full control of the voices and casting process to ensure quality and not leave that up to fans.

Plus voice recordings are a much bigger job than many people first presume. All those actors would have to sign Vivendi contracts, and if any actors on a project are affiliated with SAG or AFTRA, then it can open a whole new can of worms for all other actors involved in the project and for us. SAG in particular are scumbags to deal with.

Then there's the amount of time it would take to lipsync and re-reprogram all the timed scenes to fit with voices, and rewrite lines which contain variables like numbers and names. We can't really justify adding that workload and responsibility to our plates.