Question on combat frequency/skill mechanics

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

ChiTheMonkey
Peasant Status

Question on combat frequency/skill mechanics

#1 Post by ChiTheMonkey » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:18 am

I'd been rolling around as my fighter (sub mage) with skill cranked up to the very top.

This has made for some very, very exciting combats (I can't stress enough how much I'm enjoying this system you folks have put together, just wow), but I noticed I was burning through my pills quicker than the cash was coming in to replace them.

So I turn the skill down, just to experiment, and my god, the fights are easier. But I noticed that it seemed I wasn't encountering any fewer monsters while wandering around (which would make it different from turning down the skill in QfG3 or 4, where turning down the skill drastically reduces the regularity of the monster encounters). Is this the case? Does it just make the fights easier, but no less plentiful?

Also, occaisonally when my thief is sneaking back to get his saurus, he encounters a monster running off the screen. Is this evidence of a successful 'sneak'?

Prio
Knight Status

Re: Question on combat frequency/skill mechanics

#2 Post by Prio » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:27 am

ChiTheMonkey wrote: So I turn the skill down, just to experiment, and my god, the fights are easier. But I noticed that it seemed I wasn't encountering any fewer monsters while wandering around (which would make it different from turning down the skill in QfG3 or 4, where turning down the skill drastically reduces the regularity of the monster encounters). Is this the case? Does it just make the fights easier, but no less plentiful?

Also, occaisonally when my thief is sneaking back to get his saurus, he encounters a monster running off the screen. Is this evidence of a successful 'sneak'?
Yes (near as I could tell) and yes.

In hard mode, you definitely want to pick your fights (and purchases) with care. Remember that Uhura is free, and that you'll get rewards for dealing with the elementals.

ChiTheMonkey
Peasant Status

#3 Post by ChiTheMonkey » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:35 am

Prio wrote: ...Remember that Uhura is free, and that you'll get rewards for dealing with the elementals.
Oh, I'm with you there. Day 4 and all my combat skills at 170+ with the bulk of those points coming from the guild hall (and pounding the green bottle).

And the cash wasn't a big concern. Back in the late 90's I ground brigands on the EGA QfG1 and created a bunch of import files with ~1k spielburg gold each. >.>

Wish I still had the saved game files though, since it seems there's a wider variety of items getting imported into the remake. I could always razzle dazzle root beet things up, but cheating makes me feel cheap T_T

ChiTheMonkey
Peasant Status

#4 Post by ChiTheMonkey » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:37 am

Oh! And thank the Devs for making combat's appear when you enter a screen. I used to set myself up with a book and wait for things to come attack me in the EGA version. No fun at all.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#5 Post by Erpy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:26 am

The encounter rate is the same for all difficulty levels and yes, if a monster walks off the screen, they haven't seen you due to you being stealthy.