New Wizard Games

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Morningstar
Royal Servant Status

New Wizard Games

#1 Post by Morningstar » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:23 pm

Now, if you're a magic user there are two new games that you can play that weren't included in the original,

you have Keapon Laffin's Force Bolt Game and Aziza's Wizard's Whirl;

both games are made accessible once you have all the required spells FBG (Force Bolt, Trigger, Fetch and Detect Magic), AWW (Calm, Flame Dart, Open and Trigger), and then after you query with their relevant proprietor about magic and then magic games.

They are both strategy games, though Keapon's seems a little less intuititve than Aziza's. I had to almost trial and error Keapons before I kind of saw the pattern of reflection. Aziza's is complex in that you have to kind of predict behaviour, but is a lot more direct.

There are REWARDS - the first time you win either game the caster augments one of your spells and unlocks a special boost in combat. Basically, they let you charge your offensive magic spells and release for devestating damage...

I like these games, they give the wizard far more utility for his spells than just puzzle solvers. I wish these were in all the QFG games.

SierraFan1885
Royal Servant Status

Re: New Wizard Games

#2 Post by SierraFan1885 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:41 am

Can hybrids play these games too?

adeyke

#3 Post by adeyke » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:45 am

Anyone with magic skill can definitely play Keapon's. I think Aziza's is just for actual magic-users, though.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#4 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:59 am

I couldn't play Aziza's no matter what I asked on my Thief but I can play Keapons and it really does feel like a trial and error game till you get the jist.

Eric Banyon
Peasant Status

#5 Post by Eric Banyon » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:40 am

Morningstar wrote: There are REWARDS - the first time you win either game the caster augments one of your spells and unlocks a special boost in combat. Basically, they let you charge your offensive magic spells and release for devestating damage...
Now THAT makes it worthwhile.

Morningstar
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by Morningstar » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:55 am

very much so... with it, I can kill a terrosaur with two blasts.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#7 Post by Brainiac » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:56 am

Wizard's Whirl, you say? As in the Wizard's Whirl that was intended for QfG5? Was this game an invention of the AGD crew or did the Coles give you the intended form from Dragon Fire?

Prio
Knight Status

#8 Post by Prio » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:23 am

Brainiac wrote:Wizard's Whirl, you say? As in the Wizard's Whirl that was intended for QfG5? Was this game an invention of the AGD crew or did the Coles give you the intended form from Dragon Fire?
According to Aziza, it's her "personal variant".

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#9 Post by Erpy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:54 am

Only graduated wizards (who were pure mages before, no fighters/thieves with magic) can play Wizard's Whirl. (souped up flamedarts are kind their unique thing) Everyone can play Keapon's game.

You can play multiple times too. Keapon has another present that's slightly more useless. After that, both Aziza and Keapon reward you by completely restoring your mana pool. Also, playing games in itself is rewarding in the sense that magic/spell-related skills grow pretty fast during magical games.

As for Brainiac's question...the explanation Aziza gives at the start (including the Sim Siddhi pun) is a rewritten version of stuff that Lori Cole wrote. Wizard's whirl was originally meant to be implemented into QFG2, but the minigame never got out of the design stage. All that remained of them were some of the instructions from Aziza and a sketch of the game board. When Britney, Chris and I visited Lori Cole in Oakhurst, we got to see the QFG2 design documents and stumbled upon that sketch. Chris took a photo of it with his digital camera and John Paul Selwood edited and colored the photo into an actual game background. I then made the game design using the sketch and Lori's text as reference. I'd say that about 60% of the current Wizard's Whirl game design is Lori's and about 40% of it is mine.

Wizard's Whirl is, besides the Saurus Repair Shop, another element that was meant to be in the original EGA game, but was cut.

Morningstar
Royal Servant Status

#10 Post by Morningstar » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:09 am

all I can say is that Keapon Laffin is a huge fan :)

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#11 Post by Brainiac » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:28 pm

Cool. I knew Wizard's Whirl was dropped from QfG5 (Erasmus & Whirlwind), but I had no idea it was originally dropped from QfG2.