Passage of time in game

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Eric Banyon
Peasant Status

Passage of time in game

#1 Post by Eric Banyon » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:20 am

Time seems to run rather slowly, much more so than I remember in the original. To give an example from just now, I woke up on day 12, was informed of the earth elemental, went to the adventurers guild and talked to Rakeesh, went to the Astrologer, went to Aziza, went back to the area of the adventurers guild and located the earth elemental and beat him, talked to Aziza again, went out and visited the dervish in the desert, went and helped Julanar, went and saw the beast, went back to town and talked to Harik and got the dispel potion, went back out and changed the beast back to human, went back to town and talked to Aziza again, went back to the Inn...

And after all that, the clock still says "day is dawning on day 12."

Day should not still be "dawning" after all that.

Prio
Knight Status

Re: Passage of time in game

#2 Post by Prio » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:29 am

Thaaat sounds like a case of unintended "time freeze", maybe. Hold on to your save files?

Eric Banyon
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Eric Banyon » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:45 am

Time can still move... if I go sleep until evening in the inn, evening does come. Not sure what exactly you mean by time freeze, though...

Prio
Knight Status

#4 Post by Prio » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:40 am

Eric Banyon wrote:Time can still move... if I go sleep until evening in the inn, evening does come. Not sure what exactly you mean by time freeze, though...
Try turning up the game speed and waiting around for a while with the game in the foreground, without resting (read a book for a while, watch TV, whatever) and see if time passes that way.
The game is designed to stop time intentionally at certain places; for example, on the day of the caravan to Raseir just after you've woken up in your room, or after you've broken into Issur's shop. Game time does not advance during these events, no matter how long you wait around.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#5 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:28 am

Keep in mind that time does not pass when you're talking to characters (i.e. neither when their dialogue speech is on screen nor when their dialogue trees are visible). So, if you spend a while talking, it can make the passage of time seem to take longer time than usual.

Eric Banyon
Peasant Status

#6 Post by Eric Banyon » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:15 pm

However, in the original time would still pass when you travel some distance via the city map. It probably wouldn't be noticable for a single trip, but in the case I used as an example I was traveling to all corners of the city back and forth several times, and also going out into the desert and visiting every single point of interest. I would have thought all that map travel and all that saurus travel would have been enough to at least make the time of day move from "day is dawning" to at least early or mid morning.
Try turning up the game speed and waiting around for a while with the game in the foreground, without resting (read a book for a while, watch TV, whatever) and see if time passes that way.
Time passes doing that, too, so I'm at a loss. Perhaps map travel isn't counted as taking any time in this version?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#7 Post by Erpy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:36 pm

No. Map travel is instantanously time-wise.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#8 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:53 pm

According to Corey Cole, a full QFG day/night cycle ran for 90 minutes on the default game speed. I believe that's what we tried to match in the remake too.

Though, that would be 90 minutes with absolutely no interruptions which pause time, like talking to NPCs, or doing anything that causes the 'wait' icon to appear.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#9 Post by DrJones » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:41 pm

I've found that the game time is halted if you are waiting on the EOF door screen (at day 15, at least), which is a bit weird as they tell you to be there when night arrives, but night never arrives if you are already there!

I can see a reason to stop the clock in that room, but I report it anyways just in case that's not supposed to work that way.