Got the Griffin's Feather on Day 1: Can No Longer Use Map!

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

AGP
Royal Servant Status

Got the Griffin's Feather on Day 1: Can No Longer Use Map!

#1 Post by AGP » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:12 pm

The game keeps telling me I have no time to use the map. I didn't import my character, who's a thief.

AGP
Royal Servant Status

Re: Got the Griffin's Feather on Day 1: Can No Longer Use Map!

#2 Post by AGP » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:03 am

For whoever it's worth, it was something related to my trying to levitate towards the Griffin AFTER took the feather. I have the feather now and can use the map on day 1. Still, a bug is a bug!

Your.Master
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Your.Master » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:01 am

I hit the same bug, with the same repro steps, albeit on day 5. I first tried to levitate, but I was out of mana. I went one screen east so I could rest an hour (leaving the saurus), rested, returned, and attempted again. It wouldn't let me use magic (clicking the magic button told me I couldn't; I don't remember the specific message). Then I left on my saurus and went back to Shapeir and can't use the map. It makes the game stupendously more frustrating, even with the better alleyways (and that was my only save -- I mean, it's a short game to retrace my steps with, but it's still frustrating).

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#4 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:24 am

If you have a savegame of these issues in action, then it would help us to reproduce the bug and fix it. Just attach it to your forum post using the "upload attachment" feature.

Colchek
Peasant Status

#5 Post by Colchek » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:01 pm

I had this issue using levitate to get the feather, then I couldn't use the map, or any pills, because it said 'you do not have time to examine the item.' However, by just finding a spot to cast levitate again, hit up and then down to land, I was able to start using things again.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#6 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:06 pm

So this bug is ALWAYS reproduced by levitating up to the griffin's nest and nowhere else, right?

Once levitated, how do you get the feather? Are you taking it from the nest so as not to disturb the griffin, and then levitating back down to earth safely? Or are you plucking the feather from the griffin, resulting in him getting upset, squawking in your face, and then flying away as you FALL back to the ground?

Knowing which method of getting back onto your feet (i.e. falling or levitating down safely) is important here.

CDA_91
Peasant Status

#7 Post by CDA_91 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:24 pm

I didn't suceed in levitating, it began when I recieved the 'you haven't enough mana' message.

Colchek
Peasant Status

#8 Post by Colchek » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:30 pm

In my case, it was the gentle way. I levitated up, clicked on the nest to get the feather, then landed myself without waking up the griffin.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#9 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:58 pm

CDA_91: Need more specific info than that. Was it in the griffin screen that you tried levitating or elsewhere?

CDA_91
Peasant Status

#10 Post by CDA_91 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:02 pm

In the griffin screen. Tried to levitate but had no mana, rested and then tried again but when I clicked on the magic GUI button I got the message 'Not right now' or words to that effect and when I returned to the city and used the map I got a message saying 'you haven't time to examine that now' and the same message for every other item i used on myself.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#11 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:09 pm

Okay, I have confirmed CDA_91's version of this bug occurring when not having enough mana to Levitate in the griffin screen.

However, when levitating up and grabbing a feather and then falling OR landing safely, I am able to inspect my possessions just fine. Can somebody provide step-by-step procedure to replicate this, or attach a savegame just prior to the bug occurring? Be sure to specify whether you're using the mouse or keyboard to levitate up and down, as little details like that make a big difference.

Colchek
Peasant Status

#12 Post by Colchek » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:15 pm

For me it wasn't a matter of being able to look at items, it was using them. Every time I clicked the map or a pill bottle on my hero, I got the message saying 'You don't have time to examine the item.' After I levitated again, the problem went away and I didn't encounter it again. The griffin scene was the scene I did just prior to this happening, by levitating and getting the feather from the nest without waking the griffin.

Edit: I tried to replicate this and I can't get it to happen again. I recalled that the reason I went to the griffin was to practice levitate since I got bumped out of WIT because I didn't have enough skill to avoid the first test. Then when I tried to get back to WIT, it wouldn't let me use the map, or renew my magic since I'd burned a lot of points practicing levitate. So I tried that again, and still couldn't get it to happen.

AGP
Royal Servant Status

#13 Post by AGP » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:43 pm

My problem was like CDA_91's. I didn't have enough mana either.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#14 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:55 pm

Colchek: Well, everytime you fall or land safely, the levitating variable is reset to that you can again click items on the hero without receiving the 'you don't have time to examine the item' message. Judging from the code, the bug you're describing doesn't seem like it should ever occur.

Is it possible that you first levitated normally and got the feather, then tried levitating again (to practice) but had inadequate mana and received the 'you don't have time...' message? And then you went back to WIT?

Also, did you always cast Levitate from the spells menu? Or did you use the F6 key?

Colchek
Peasant Status

#15 Post by Colchek » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:12 pm

It's quite possible. Sometimes I tend to click through things fast and I may have clicked past the message without noticing it.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#16 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:23 pm

Yikes! It's potentially possible for this glitch to occur in quite a few scenes. I had to call a check at soon as the Levitate icon gets clicked to ensure that it'll cancel out the levitation code from being executed if the player has <7 mana points remaining.

As a side-effect, it seemed to be running the useSpell function twice in succession which meant that it was also sapping 14 points to cast the Levitate spell (rather than just 7) and then still NOT allowing the Hero to levitate at all.

Anyhow, should be fixed for good now. As others have mentioned, to work around the glitch simply rest (or take a pill) to recover mana, press F6 to recast the last-cast spell (Levitate), and then come back to earth to set things normal again. Or ensure that you always have enough mana prior to casting the spell.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#17 Post by Spikey » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:23 pm

It's still a bit of a problem if you rely on spells in combat and don't have enough mana, mana pills and money; you can't really fight to earn money to buy pills, nor rest to recover mana. I also encountered the bug once, but it didn't happen the second or third time I tried. I plucked the feather while levitating at all times (don't you just love it when the Griffin comes attacking you a few screens later?).

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#18 Post by Erpy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:35 pm

I think the glitch only concerns the levitate spell. It definitely doesn't apply to spells in combat, since those don't even use the normal spell code.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#19 Post by Spikey » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:38 pm

I was talking about the work around.

After the glitch has occurred, your life as a magic user is over if you don't have mana, mana pills and money, because you can't rest and can't restore mana by buying pills; you also can't defeat enemies to gain money, since you don't have mana power to defeat them and can't restore it.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#20 Post by Erpy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:44 pm

You should be able to rest. (you can rest almost anywhere in QFG2VGA, not just in your bedroom) Or, if that fails, just stand around. Your mana and health go up automatically over time, though it goes up insanely slow if you don't rest or sleep.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#21 Post by Spikey » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:52 pm

If you try to rest or use a spell (click respective buttons in the toolbar) after the bug occurs, it says "Sorry, not now" (as if you're still levitating). Standing arond works, of course, but that's what I meant with "problem".

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#22 Post by Erpy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:55 pm

Whoops, that's true. My bad.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#23 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:29 pm

Perhaps you can go play Force Bolt Flurry against Keapon and (or Wizard's Whirl against Aziza) and win 3 times so that your mana gets recharged.

Eating a couple of Meals from Shema at the Inn should also boost your Mana level up pretty quickly.

Now, do you guys see why this game spent such a long time in development? These are the kinds of severe bugs we've been tracking down and fixing all this while. The game was literally crawling with them at the start of 2008. Yet even with very thorough testing, some evil bugs like this one still manage to slip through the cracks.