A few combat related questions

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Jack Sawyer
Royal Servant Status

A few combat related questions

#1 Post by Jack Sawyer » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:31 pm

I've been fiddling around with th ecombat, and part of this involved me doign what I've always enjoyed doing, doing a magic using fighter without a shield. (I keep the shield around, ,but I avoid using it if I can)

I've been wondering a few things about that:

1.) Does the shield confer a tangible benefit to the fighter in combat over just parrying with their weapon? That is, is it "better" at blocking, does it provide more defense, or is it just a neat prob to distinguish the fighters from others?

2.) When I've played as a magic using fighter in QFG2 without a shield, and using zap with my sword, I've noticed it doesnt always seem to do more damage than a dagger (or a zapped dagger) does for my same character. I've fiddled around with this some (and I even did some in QFG1 EGA giving a magic user a sword) and it seemed similar there. What I'm wondering is if zap actually confers additional damage when using a sword (I'd assume so, but..)

And if so, does this mean damage inflicted is somewhat randomized (ie some sort of electronic "dice roll?" ) I have sometimes suspected it might.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: A few combat related questions

#2 Post by Erpy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:41 pm

1.) Does the shield confer a tangible benefit to the fighter in combat over just parrying with their weapon? That is, is it "better" at blocking, does it provide more defense, or is it just a neat prob to distinguish the fighters from others?
A dagger/sword can only parry other weapons at mid/high level. A shield can block certain low attacks, certain projectiles and certain melee attacks that aren't done by weaponry. In addition, a shield can cover your left flank when being ganged up on. With a sword/dagger, you can only block one attack at a time and you can't block attacks from the left.
2.) When I've played as a magic using fighter in QFG2 without a shield, and using zap with my sword, I've noticed it doesnt always seem to do more damage than a dagger (or a zapped dagger) does for my same character. I've fiddled around with this some (and I even did some in QFG1 EGA giving a magic user a sword) and it seemed similar there. What I'm wondering is if zap actually confers additional damage when using a sword (I'd assume so, but..)
Yes, zap does additional damage and also knocks an enemy on his back with a single discharge. The damage it does is based on a formula that has no random factor.

Jack Sawyer
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by Jack Sawyer » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:44 pm

Oooh. I like that idea. It adds an added dimension of variety to tactics even outside combat.

Second question just occured to me now. I did train with Uhura in the Guild fighting hall (nice how you guys handled that as a Separate room, I like it) and managed to beat her the first time we fought a duel. Is it safe to assume that she'll get "better" as time passes and if you keep fighting her up until you leave for Raseir (

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#4 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:52 pm

Yeah, Uhura will start busting out some combos on you as your combat stats raise higher.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#5 Post by Erpy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:02 pm

Yes, Uhura has 3 different levels of fighting and she goes up as your combat stats go up. This is particularly noticable when playing on normal or hard. In addition to using more attacks, she'll also have more hitpoints and she'll start blocking and counterattacking more.

Rocier
Peasant Status

#6 Post by Rocier » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:01 pm

OMG! Combat is so f****** hard! Any tips for a theif?!

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#7 Post by Erpy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:04 pm

First of all, learn how to avoid damage. Make use of the co-pilot if necessary. Use the dagger toss to weaken enemies. And don't fight any tougher beasties until you're a bit stronger. Get rid of the idea that the attack-attack-attack-strategy works like it did in QFG2EGA.

If you really want to flourish as a thief, learn to sneak. You'll be glad you did.

Mitch
Peasant Status

#8 Post by Mitch » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:58 am

I've found combat to be extremely fun, and the best out of the series.

I hear Rakeesh and Uhura talking about throwing daggers in combat, but I have no idea how to throw them.

Any help would be great.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found out its Q >D

feasoron
Peasant Status

#9 Post by feasoron » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:41 am

Is there a timer on spells or something? I'm playing as a magic user, and I find the keys horribly unresponsive. I hit to cast, and just get torn into while my mage sits there doing nothing. I literally can't beat a single battle.

Eric Banyon
Peasant Status

#10 Post by Eric Banyon » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:44 am

feasoron wrote:Is there a timer on spells or something? I'm playing as a magic user, and I find the keys horribly unresponsive. I hit to cast, and just get torn into while my mage sits there doing nothing. I literally can't beat a single battle.
Back off. The offensive spells only seem to cast when you're at least one space away from the enemy. And yes, there is a timer of sorts, and the enemy CAN charge in and hit you while you're still casting, interrupting the spell. Beware the terrorsaurus: those things can do a VICIOUS leap/grab you in mouth/shake from side to side/throw away move that does significant damage, and also is good at dodging spells in the same move.

pikaporeon
Royal Servant Status

#11 Post by pikaporeon » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:24 pm

When i fight the hotkeys for spells [I'm playing as MUser] dont seem to work - is there a keypress combo I'm missing out on or should I try and replicate this elsewhere and write it off as a bug

Eric Banyon
Peasant Status

#12 Post by Eric Banyon » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:51 pm

First, make sure you have mana. Then, back away. Flame Dart and Force Bolt only seem to cast when you have at least one extra space between you and the enemy. Also, the enemy can move in and attack you while you're casting, interrupting the spell.

Prio
Knight Status

#13 Post by Prio » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:48 pm

And make sure you actually know the spell, of course. :9

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#14 Post by Erpy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:49 pm

I wonder how many people actually bothered to talk to Rakeesh in the training room, since this is one of the things he tells you.

oxygen1234
Peasant Status

#15 Post by oxygen1234 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:53 pm

The combat system is actually interesting and challenging. One could make a 'Quest for Glory Fighter' game based on it and it would be pretty fun, I think. It's going to make going back to the QG3 fighting system upon finishing QG2VGA a little disappointing too :) .

Eric Banyon
Peasant Status

#16 Post by Eric Banyon » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:15 pm

Erpy wrote:I wonder how many people actually bothered to talk to Rakeesh in the training room, since this is one of the things he tells you.
...I don't remember Rakeesh even BEING in the training room.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#17 Post by Erpy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:35 pm

He follows you into the training room whenever he's inside the guild and has his own unique dialogue tree in there.