Magic using thief - bug at the end of the game

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

hatemachine
Peasant Status

Magic using thief - bug at the end of the game

#1 Post by hatemachine » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:31 am

I played as a hybrid - a magic using thief. Before leaving Shapeir, I purchased all of the spells. I played through the game entirely as a thief, only using magic during fights. I got to the part where I had to sneak into the palace and used the magic rope. As soon as I entered the balcony to the left however, the last two sequences played out as if I were a magician. This pretty much prevented me from scoring a perfect 500.

I also encountered another bug, but it's been documented already, and it doesn't break the game (saving in the alley to Aziza's place). Great game otherwise.

greensenshi
Knight Status

Re: Magic using thief - bug at the end of the game

#2 Post by greensenshi » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:13 am

I'm stuck here too, except my character is a pure thief. He can't even win the game because the thief isn't supposed to fight Khaveen.

Spanky
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by Spanky » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:42 am

hatemachine, I just finished the game five minutes ago as a thief/magic hybrid and I had EXACTLY the same problem. I could only beat the game as a magic user, with a final score of 496/500. Good thing I had reversal... Or maybe that's why the game made me end it as a magic user. Did you complete WIT too?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#4 Post by Erpy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:11 am

There are some checks made when entering the palace that determine where you end up (the harem or the antechamber). If you possess the magic rope that has enough charges for one more use, you posses enough projectiles to use against the candles of the ritual chamber and Ad Avis, you have the stealth skill AND your throwing is higher than 60 or so, you'll enter the harem. Otherwise, you enter the antechamber. How many daggers did you have and did you use your rope excessively before?

Note that every class can get through the antechamber. Even the thief.

greensenshi
Knight Status

#5 Post by greensenshi » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:14 pm

I barely used the rope, and I had two daggers, which I thought was all you needed to deal with the candles and Ad Avis. I just need one more charge of the rope to get across the balcony, right?

pikaporeon
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by pikaporeon » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:26 pm

Its funny, when I first played QG2 years ago, I only knew the thief ending, despite playing as Wizard all the time. I just had the rope and went with it.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#7 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:33 pm

You need to be carrying a minimum of three projectiles to be taken to the Harem (rocks count too): one to toss at the candle, one to toss at Ad Avis, and your regular dagger which is never throwable.

However, the game will actually let you throw your last dagger at Ad Avis if it absolutely comes down to it being a matter of necessity to win the game, so as not to cause a dead-end. This is done to give you a bit of a buffer zone and room for error. This way, if you toss one of your remaining 3 projectiles and it misses its mark, you can still continue.

If you toss your last projectile at Ad Avis, he will never deflect it, and will ALWAYS knock him over the edge.

FYI, the Silver dagger you stole from the Metalworker's house can be tossed at Ad Avis too, but does not factor into whether you have enough projectiles to gain access to the Harem.

Spanky
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by Spanky » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:42 pm

Ah, so it's because I didn't have enough projectiles then. So if I didn't have all of the required spells, this would have been another classic sierra dead end...
Also, I couldn't figure out how to get through the antechamber as a thief. I know you can jump from the balcony, but it gives me the same death as simply climbing down the rope. Any ideas?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#9 Post by Erpy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:50 pm

Spanky wrote:Ah, so it's because I didn't have enough projectiles then. So if I didn't have all of the required spells, this would have been another classic sierra dead end...
Also, I couldn't figure out how to get through the antechamber as a thief. I know you can jump from the balcony, but it gives me the same death as simply climbing down the rope. Any ideas?
No, even without the required spells it's not a classic dead end. If you're a thief without magic in the antechamber, observe Khaveen carefully and wait for the right moment.

Spanky
Royal Servant Status

#10 Post by Spanky » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:06 pm

Erpy wrote:No, even without the required spells it's not a classic dead end. If you're a thief without magic in the antechamber, observe Khaveen carefully and wait for the right moment.
See, that's what I first thought. But I tried to jump/climb at almost every instance. No matter where he is while pacing, he always turns around and then it's over. And even if I were to get past him, I still wouldn't have enough projectiles to defeat Ad Avis. Unless I'm totally missing something here...

Arastior
Peasant Status

#11 Post by Arastior » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:19 pm

I have the same problem.
Can anybody share a savegame with pure thief near the final (about to enter palace)?

Spanky
Royal Servant Status

#12 Post by Spanky » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:23 pm

Yeah, I'd like to play that part as well but I don't want to play as a thief all over again.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#13 Post by Erpy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:08 pm

Okay, a spoiler then.

If you're a thief with magic, you'll just have to cast calm. No way around that. If not, you'll notice that Khaveen is pacing around the lower area of the screen, rather than in front of the stairs. Wait until he stands still for a moment below the balcony and immediately click the hand on the floor. (or on him, might work too) If timed well, you get to proceed. If timed badly, you lose. You don't need projectiles to deal with Ad Avis inside the ritual chamber either. Just use the fighter method.

Spanky
Royal Servant Status

#14 Post by Spanky » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:15 pm

Ah ok, so that's what I was supposed to do. For me he was just pasing back and forth near the stairs. It would be nice to get a saved game just before the harem route, if anybody has one. I made the mistake of owning only one dagger. It's a shame there aren't any rocks or other throwable objects outside of the palace...
Thanks for all the info, Erpy!

Arastior
Peasant Status

#15 Post by Arastior » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:25 pm

Erpy wrote:Okay, a spoiler then.

If you're a thief with magic, you'll just have to cast calm. No way around that.
I know. But I would like to pass through scene in harem, but I don't want to begin a new game like a pure thief.

linkin182
Peasant Status

#16 Post by linkin182 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:31 pm

greensenshi wrote:I barely used the rope, and I had two daggers, which I thought was all you needed to deal with the candles and Ad Avis. I just need one more charge of the rope to get across the balcony, right?
The way I remember from the original you need to hit Ad Avis twice so you would need more than two daggers, or is that different in the remake?

greensenshi
Knight Status

#17 Post by greensenshi » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:44 pm

AGD2 has said that if you throw your last projectile at him, he won't deflect it. I also remember this being the case in the original too.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#18 Post by Erpy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:46 pm

Yep, but most of the time you'll need more than one.

shikadi
Peasant Status

#19 Post by shikadi » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:48 am

I'm playing as a thief, and didn't get to the harem scene. I had 92 throwing and 3 daggers. What are the actual requirements?

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#20 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:49 am

you must not have had the rope or your stealth was too low. I have a save that's kinda close to the harem scene I'll boot it up get right up to it and then attach it to this post sometime in the next hour.
Last edited by Quest For Glory Fan on Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#21 Post by Erpy » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:49 am

Sorry, the statement previously made was inaccurate. The criteria are:

- A magic rope that has at least 1 charge left
- More than 3 projectiles
- Stealth skill
- Throwing skill of 60 or higher

Arastior
Peasant Status

#22 Post by Arastior » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:30 am

Erpy wrote:Sorry, the statement previously made was inaccurate. The criteria are:

- A magic rope that has at least 1 charge left
- More than 3 projectiles
- Stealth skill
- Throwing skill of 60 or higher

It realy does work!
Little spoiler:
If your throwing skill is less than 60, ask the genie for it :)

Arastior
Peasant Status

#23 Post by Arastior » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:54 am

I've passed through it! Guys, it is amazing! You can deal with Khaveen using all three character classes!

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#24 Post by Erpy » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:59 am

Thanks for noticing. It was initially a little extra touch to make the ropewalk more intense, but according to Lori Cole, Khaveen's death is QFG canon.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#25 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:09 am

that part of the rope walk wasn't in the original? I had no idea. I was wondering why I had gotten to the end of the game and hadn't actually seen Khaveen.