The "Thanks" thread!

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

AtypicalChuck
Peasant Status

Re: The "Thanks" thread!

#26 Post by AtypicalChuck » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:17 pm

I just have to say that this game is fantastic... and the fact that this forum exists to give you instant feedback from players is something really cool.

Now, how about making a non-3D version of QFG 5: Dragon Fire? ;)

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

#27 Post by Schloss Ritter » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:50 pm

AtypicalChuck wrote:I just have to say that this game is fantastic... and the fact that this forum exists to give you instant feedback from players is something really cool.

Now, how about making a non-3D version of QFG 5: Dragon Fire? ;)
*checks Magic 8-Ball*

"My sources say... NO"

:p

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#28 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:52 pm

I'd rather see a QFGIV remake of this caliber than a V remake.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#29 Post by Spikey » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:09 pm

I saw fans hijacking this thread for AGDI team eulogies, so I'll do mine.

I've only had very few hours of gameplay up until now, but it really only takes a few minutes to realise this is an exhaustive body of work. So many details, old and new things to explore...above all, this remake makes you feel like you're back in the old days, behind your 486 DX2 sVGA 16mbRAM, way before we knew how to construct our own computers, playing games the way they were supposed to be. This reminds me of all that.

Thanks AGD1 & AGD2, for all you hard work and being the driving force behind this success. I hope you've had some sort of private life in the past eight years. I can't even begin to imagine the impact Tierra / AGDI had on both of your lives.

Thanks Erpy / Stijn / Überprogrammer / Board Admin / Witch / Warlock / Whatever else, for your own contributions and being the shining sun around which this community orbits.

Thanks Eriq, for all your art- and webwork, I'm really enjoying it. Even I only spoke to you once after my return, I already knew your name from XY Magazine. I mean that IS the same you, is it? Anyway, thanks for all this, and everything beyond.

Thanks to everyone else who were involved with the game, of course. On the community side, my heartful thanks goes out to Ang & Vamp, even though I was barely here for your mod period; anyway thanks for all the interesting chats and discussions. Also, thank you Navynuke for changing user titles into weird things, deleting posts, closing threads and harrassing members whenever they talk about postcounts.

Now, time to play!!!!!

brandall
Peasant Status

#30 Post by brandall » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:35 pm

I'd just like to add my thanks. I've been visiting this site often over the past four or five years and I just want you to know how much I appreciate what you're doing. The game is beautiful! Please keep up the great work!!!

Spanky
Royal Servant Status

#31 Post by Spanky » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:20 pm

Quest For Glory Fan wrote:I'd rather see a QFGIV remake of this caliber than a V remake.
I think we're officially done with qfg remakes :P
No, maybe someone should add more to qfg3 for thieves, or fix all the bugs in qfg4, and the creators of qfg5 should be probably be tortured a bit...

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#32 Post by Blackthorne519 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:17 pm

Why would one remake QFGIV?

Bt

oriel
Royal Servant Status

#33 Post by oriel » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:08 am

Thanks to everyone who worked on this. It's unbelievably great to relive the adventures.

Oriel

nightlite
Peasant Status

#34 Post by nightlite » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:18 am

Thanks, glad you stood by the project for so long and put it out. It's very cool!

Spanky
Royal Servant Status

#35 Post by Spanky » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:39 am

Blackthorne519 wrote:Why would one remake QFGIV?
I think he meant that he'd sooner ask for a remake of qfg4, a great game that doesn't need to be remade, than ask for a remake of qfg5, a game that is too horrible to deserve a remake.
Of course, I wouldn't mind a deloused re-release of qfg4...
Those bugs were awful!

GloriousHeroine
Peasant Status

#36 Post by GloriousHeroine » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:04 am

Thanks to everyone who worked so hard on this game. It's really good.

KQartist
The Art-inator

#37 Post by KQartist » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:35 am

Thanks Chris for the kind words for all contributors, and thank YOU and Stijn for your dedication in getting QFG2 as polished as it can be. I feel very honored to have been a part of this project, and to see so many satisfied fans. I've been playing the game, and I must say, it's exceeded my expectations! :D

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#38 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:42 am

Spanky wrote:
Blackthorne519 wrote:Why would one remake QFGIV?
I think he meant that he'd sooner ask for a remake of qfg4, a great game that doesn't need to be remade, than ask for a remake of qfg5, a game that is too horrible to deserve a remake.
Of course, I wouldn't mind a deloused re-release of qfg4...
Those bugs were awful!
Close, what I actually meant was a rehash of IV sans bugs and the new combat system in place of what is there (Call me crazy but I like Stijn's combat system even better than IV's) As much of the game would still be copy/paste it wouldn't be nearly as huge a project as V which really is fine if you get used to it.

adeyke

#39 Post by adeyke » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:10 am

You're completely underestimating the effort involved. While the art and writing of QfG4 could be reused, the majority of the work comes from scripting, testing and debugging, and that would have to be done completely from scratch. So remaking QfG4 could potentially still be years of hard work. Doing all that just to fix some bugs (while undoubtedly introducing new ones) and change the combat engine (even though the current one is already interesting and rather advanced) would be absurd.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#40 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:16 am

Still though that seems like less work than completly redoing V. In my opinion neither of them need remaking.

adeyke

#41 Post by adeyke » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:25 am

I certainly agree with that. However, the potential ratio of outcome/effort would be higher on the QfG5 remake. That is, a QfG4 remake would require a whole lot of effort and the end result would negligible. A QfG5 remake would require enormous amounts of effort, but the end result could be quite exciting and interesting to see.

I personally don't advocate remaking either game. QfG5 does have some serious flaws, but many of those are basically unavoidable or an important part of what makes the game what it is. So it would be better to just create a whole new game. However, given only the choice between a remake of QfG4 and one of QfG5, I'd absolutely go fro the latter.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#42 Post by Brainiac » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:01 am

adeyke wrote:However, given only the choice between a remake of QfG4 and one of QfG5, I'd absolutely go fro the latter.
How about if we add QfG3 and fixing the point system annoyances as Option C? :p

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#43 Post by Gronagor » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:24 am

Eish! You guys!!
Stop complaining about minor things in the series! Look at the other games from Sierra first!
Heck, they messed up so badly they skipped Larry 4 and you worry about minor stuff! j/k :)

Beverheim
Peasant Status

#44 Post by Beverheim » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:42 am

Thank you AGD!

The game is impressive! You made a remake which is miles ahead in quality compared to the remake Sierra made of QFG1!

And even added a lot of new stuff!
-a brilliant combat system - better than in any of the original games.
-tons of cool new easter eggs
-Another magician game (Azizas game, don't think that was in the original)
-Even give the old-timers the options of using text parser, or a combo. Very clever - haven't seen the combo option in any other games.

There's probably more surprises, I'm just halfway in my first play-through yet:)
Last edited by Beverheim on Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#45 Post by Erpy » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:46 am

Thanks for the words of praise. It's great to hear so many people appreciate the hard work that went into the game and understand why it took so long to finish.

Endserenader
Peasant Status

#46 Post by Endserenader » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:42 am

I absolutely concur with all previous messages -- it is truly amazing what you guys have achieved with this project.

I've been checking out your site ever since I stumbled upon the KQ1VGA remake, and found myself more excited about each game you've been announcing, and more impressed with each final release. You've built up quite some tension with this one ;) but as pointed out before, I think we all agree that it was well worth the wait.

Trial By Fire has one of my favourite settings and storylines of the genre, and so far I didn't mind playing the old version because even though the gameplay itself was obsolete, QFG2 managed to create a unique, authentic and coherent atmosphere.
So one of the greatest things for me is that you have really succeeded in carrying over this atmosphere, and enhance it by means of superior graphics, music, animation and interface. Kudos to everyone who played a part in this; it's a very respectable achievment, and I dare say one that, considering your status as a non-profit company and all the resulting hardships, is so far unmatched!

QFG2VGA proves both your (lunatic :) ) ambition and your talent; and even though you technically won't need it, I wish good luck to everyone of you in your future endeavours and will try to keep track of them!

Cheers,
Markus

kosch
Royal Servant Status

#47 Post by kosch » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:31 pm

This game is a million times better than i expected it to be years ago. It's perfect. Thanks so much to everyone!

Dragonfang
Peasant Status

#48 Post by Dragonfang » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:40 pm

Hello AGDI,

I would like add my thanks for making this wonderful remake and sharing to the world for free. Every moment and hard work you put into the game were well worth the effort. You made many fans very happy!

Dragonfang

HoustonDragon
Peasant Status

#49 Post by HoustonDragon » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:14 pm

This has all been summed up as well as I could ever say it, but thank you again for re-creating such a wonderful memory for all of us!

GREAT JOB! :rollin

hoopyfroodcat
Peasant Status

#50 Post by hoopyfroodcat » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:15 pm

I can't even tell you how excited I was when I found out QfG2 was finished. I'm downloading it right now, and I can't wait to get immersed in the QfG world for the first time in many, many years. I've missed these games - they're a fond memory from my childhood, and I'm glad they haven't died out, even after all these years! QfG always had the best fans...thanks guys!