Help needed, can play keapon's game but not aziza's.

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

papste
Royal Servant Status

Help needed, can play keapon's game but not aziza's.

#1 Post by papste » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:45 am

Playing a multiclass thief i was able to play keapon's game but not aziza's When i ask aziza about magic games she directs me to keapon laffin. Is is possible that only magic users can play aziza's game?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: Help needed, can play keapon's game but not aziza's.

#2 Post by Erpy » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:50 am

Only players whose base class is magic user who graduated from WIT can challenge Aziza.

papste
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by papste » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:55 am

Thanks Erpy. Looks like its the base class being a thief that prevents me from playing then like i suspected, cause i already graduated from WIT. Would have been nice to remove that constrain in a future release tho. Personally i can't think of a reason why non magic users can graduate from WIT but aren't allowed to challenge Aziza. Was there any particular reason or logic behind this design decision?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#4 Post by Erpy » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:58 am

Balance. Powered-up flamedarts are the strongest in-battle attack in the game. Thieves have their own way of quickly disposing of enemies. They really don't need more power. It was a concious design decision.

(also, I'm a purist QFG player myself and wanted to encourage replayability rather than allowing players to see every single feature in a single playthrough)

papste
Royal Servant Status

#5 Post by papste » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:14 am

Thanks again for the quick reply Erpy. You guys have done an awesome job, and i can tell that with certainty being a big fan of the series myself and having played all the games in the series multiple times. QFG2 was my favorite game ever followed by Gabriel Knight, and i am one of the people that kept lurking in the forum for 6 years waiting silently for the release without making a single post till the game was actually released.

After reading your reply i can see how being a non pure wizard and gaining access to boosted flame dart would hurt the balance. Just a suggestion tho, the same result could have been achieved by still allowing the player to complete aziza's game with an alternative reward for non pure wizards that doesn't hurt the balance (could be something silly too, like the fan you get from keapon laffin). That way you can still keep the balance intact and allow other classes to experience the game as well in the same time.

Assuming replayability wasn't the reason behind your decision that is:)

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#6 Post by Erpy » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:19 am

Replayability was actually a factor. I liked the fact that for example only the paladin could save the Rusalka and only the Wizard can meet the Faery Folk. It makes replaying the game as a different class slightly more interesting. It's a personal preference, I admit, but I let my personal preferences guide me a lot when making design decisions. Don't worry too much though. Thieves have a cool class-specific feature too that hasn't been mentioned on the board so far, but does make a lot of difference.

papste
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by papste » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:43 am

Nice to know about all those cool class-specific challenges Erpy:)

Actually i am a purist QFG player myself, however for my first play on this particular remake i choose a thief-hybrid (after reading some article by the Coles where Corey said that he liked the challenge of a thief/paladin). So i figured it would be cool to try a non pure class for once.

Looks like i have to replay the game as a pure wizard after im done with the first run.

Are there any cool class-specific features for pure fighters as well (apart from EOF)? Just in case i wanted to play a pure fighter after im done with thief and wizard play-throughs? (If the nostalgia spark doesn't wear off by then, assuming im still at day 5 with my thief-hybrid and i been playing non-stop for 3 days -you see im one of the people that like to "roleplay" and explore everything leaving nothing unnoticed. Let's hope there are still new stuff to see with other classes after im done with the current play-through:)

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#8 Post by Erpy » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:52 am

The fighter has EOF and the place where he shines mostly is in combat. While the mage and the thief learn an additional move or two, the fighter develops a whole set of sword techniques as the game progresses and several battles are exclusively for him. In addition, there's a hidden item that's available for all classes, but is done most justice in the hands of the fighter more than any other class. (that's all I'll say)

papste
Royal Servant Status

#9 Post by papste » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:09 am

Wow! really wow! the more i play this game the more i can appreciate the amount of effort you guys put behind it. Seriously this game keeps ALL the good stuff from the original improving on all aspects. Best adventure game i ever played. Better than any other commercial game. Only hoping that IA (looks like those guys really know their stuff as well after having played King's Quest 3 remake) will release project X or Quest for Infamy sometime soon by the time i get bored of this remake hehe.

WTB AGD and IA to work together in a future release, not necessarily a free one (some fantasy adventure preferably)! That would be awesome guys, imagine the things you could pull off!!

ps: i enjoyed AL EMMO as well tho i found the whole western setting and the 3d movies not so appealing.