The "Thanks" thread!

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Krijon
Peasant Status

Re: The "Thanks" thread!

#51 Post by Krijon » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:46 pm

:cry thank you!!! :cry

avoozl snot
Royal Servant Status

#52 Post by avoozl snot » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:59 pm

I want to give my deepest thanks to AGDI and especially Erpy and Anonymous 2 for making me a part of the beta testing team. I had just been wrapping up my test run as a thief when the opportunity to drive around the country came to me. I took it, came back, and then hitchhiked the country again with everything I needed strapped to my back. These games are more than happy childhood memories to me; they have always been inspirational and instrumental in helping me decide how to live my life. If there's one thing everyone should take away after playing Trial by Fire, it's that no one leads a remarkable life by being the townsperson looping around in the background.

I hope this remake shows a new generation (and reminds the old ones) that there are still stories to be told and adventures to be had in the world.

Milan Easton
Ruler of the Castle

#53 Post by Milan Easton » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:44 pm

I absolutely love your inspirational post avoozl snot. Chris and I try to lead a similar life. I think a certain type of person is drawn to the game, and it also inspires us to be more than an NPC in life. I really like the point you made--I couldn't. agree. more.

Thanks for all YOUR efforts, too, in beta testing the game. That definitely makes you part of the team:)

Anonymous Game Developer #1

Chief
Knight Status

#54 Post by Chief » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:56 pm

I can't thank you guys enough.. incredible effort and dedication, a true professional effort.

We will be enjoying this for years to come. I don't know if i will ever play the old version completely again. I haven't played a QFG game in a long time but this is really bringing back the old memories from when i had to play at a friend's house because my computer wasn't good enough at the time to making my own QFG website, interacting with the huge fan community and getting to see some of the behind the scenes stuff from the game.

It's great to see the spirit of adventure gaming still lives on and I wish you all the best of luck on your future projects which I will be checking up on.
ahh, now I won't have to get any new games for a while!

Cheers AGDI! i wish i could buy you all a few rounds at the tavern!

LoriAnnCole
Peasant Status

#55 Post by LoriAnnCole » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:20 am

Congratulations to everyone! The game looks wonderful and it was a great thrill to see it come to life.

I am promoting Trial by Fire on our http://www.Transolar.com website as well as on the "Corey & Lori Quest Log Blog" (http://www.theschoolforheroes.com/wordpress/). I've just created some art posters for the game based on the original manual art by Ernie Chan. Corey and I will be writing an article about the making of Trial by Fire for our blog sites. I hope this helps drive sales for your own game, too. The Trial by Fire poster looks great.

Kudos to you all. This was an amazing accomplishment.

-- Lori

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#56 Post by Brainiac » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:23 am

The First Lady of Gloriana herself! Greetings and salutations, milady.

<deep formal bow>

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#57 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:30 am

Thanks for dropping by and posting your comments, Lori! I'm very glad to hear that the game lives up to what you would expect from a Quest for Glory title. After all, you'd have to be the toughest critic of all. :lol

I'm going to be watching your site for this article with baited breath. We'll also put out a plug for yours and Corey's site and "School for Heroes" in our newsletter mailout. Here's hoping you're enjoying a QFG game for the first time as a somewhat "new" experience without all the stress and monotony that goes along with being involved directly in the development process (and also that we didn't mutilate it TOO much! *gulp*)

Dervish
Peasant Status

#58 Post by Dervish » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:50 am

QFG2 is great fun to play and brings back a lot of memories. Special thanks to the programmers of this remake and to the Coles!

/QFG fan since 1993

malekdarshin
Royal Servant Status

#59 Post by malekdarshin » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:53 am

I became a member of the forums years ago just before KQ2 was released. I stumbled upon the site through Underdogs I think, I played through KQ1 and had a short wait until KQ2. Then came the long, dark winter that we all know so well. Here at the end of things I think we can all see why things took a bit of time.

For all (just one or two really) the moments of (slight, miniscule even) doubt, I apologize. As excited as I am about the release, I'm also sad. As I understand it, this is it for AGDI. I just hope everyone moves over to the Himalaya forums when the lights finally go out on AGDI. I need somewhere to visit when I'm on the net.

I know that no one at Sierra could have done a better job updating QFG2. Well done.

Now to all of those who haven't bought Al Emmo:

I started thinking the other night about the future of adventure games. There was a large amount of people camped on the forums waiting for an update on the release. That told me that either people will wait for hours for a freebee, or that there is still a small market for adventure games. Not many companies are filling that market. I decided that in buying Al Emmo that it is not only a thank you for QFG2 but it is also a investment in the future of adventure gaming. The western setting didn't thrill me much just like some of you, but I'm sure I'll find to be very entertaining from all I've heard about it. I ordered Al Emmo a few hours before QFG2 was released, call it a two for one game special. To all of those thinking to wait until Himalaya makes another game and then buy it, well making another game has to be worth their while. See my point about investment in the future? (I'm holding out for a horror game by the way. I spoke with AGC2 about one years ago.) If you have the money it's time to by Al Emmo, if not, then enjoy QFG2 and save your pennies for a later date.

To close, thanks to everyone on the AGDI team for their hard work. Now go climb a mountain somewhere. I think Half Dome is appropriate.

Jack Sawyer
Royal Servant Status

#60 Post by Jack Sawyer » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:46 am

Heck, I'm still in the "diddling around with the game without a straight playthrough" stage and I'm having loads of fun./ mind you, I havent had time to play straight through yet, but I'm still enjoying it immensely.

I really really like the street layout.. its so much more "alive", and "brrighter" than the one in the eGA game. It seems more like a genuine town and it adds to the suspension of idsbelief. In the old game sometimes i felt like I was in a tomb :P

I also happen to like that you've diverseified the fighter so well, it makes playing them so much more interesting. And whats more, I've had to revise/modify/adapt my character planning to reflect al lyour new twists and turns :P

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#61 Post by Blackthorne519 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:41 am

Computer games were a source of complete wonder for me as a child. I mean, I grew up in the infancy of the public information age. When my elementary school installed Apple II's in most of the school rooms, it was a big deal. Playing the little games they had was often a big part of my day - I'd rush through the boring schoolwork just to get a few minutes to play "Oregon Trail".

So when I discovered "Sierra" games at my cousins house, a lot of hours of my young life were sucked into the lands of Daventry, or Xenon and Glorianna. The enthusiasm one has as a child is really pure and innocent - the way I was drawn into the stories and the gameplay is something I can't ever quite recapture.

But when I discovered AGDI, it was at a turning point in my life. The awe in wonder in my life had turned, often, to adult cynicism and I felt I "put aside childish things". I'd almost forgotten about my love for the games - until I saw that there were others out there, like me, who had grown up with these games and they still loved them. Loved them enough to pay tribute to them with their own blood sweat and tears. It gave me the hope and inspiration to try and do the same.

My life has never been the same since then, and I can honestly say that my life has been enriched. Not just by playing the games, but by the friendships forged over the common bond and the formation of my own little group of developers. It's kept me happy and sane through kidney dialysis and a botched kidney transplant. It's kept me connected to the past - in a good way. In a way that reminds me there are people out there who appreciate "works of art". In a way that reminds me there's more to entertainment than just copious amounts of baroque design and flashy glitz.

Thanks to you, team AGDI. The work you've done is not only important, it's beautiful. It's meant a lot to many people, and it reminds me of a time when THAT was important, not just the numbers on the bottom line.

As always, the cranky pirate, the cantankerous brigand,

Bt

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#62 Post by Erpy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:52 am

Thanks for the kind comments, Lori. Your appreciation is most certainly a huge compliment.

Eclipse
Peasant Status

The "Thanks" thread!

#63 Post by Eclipse » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:22 pm

Thanks for making this happen guys ! I played it all through with a magic user just now. Seeing the credits gave me the ol' nostalgic feeling of all those years ago :-)

Brilliant work ! thanks again...

Goilveig
Knight Status

#64 Post by Goilveig » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:46 pm

Yeah, thank you to everyone who made such a great game.

The quality and the attention to detail are extreme. It's an indie game but professional quality.

Heck, you managed to live up and surpass my expectations, and considering I've been waiting anxiously for the past 4+ years, those expectations were pretty damn high by now ;)

Phyber
Peasant Status

#65 Post by Phyber » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:08 pm

Hi folks, im a long time lurker first time poster here.

Just wanna express my thanks and gratitude to AGD for this fantastic QFG2 vga remake indeed
I've played through qfg1,3,4,5 not qfg1ega though and qfg2ega was the only one that i didn't play cause ega just plain sucks.

Truly grateful to u guys for completing this remakes and shutting up all the naysayers.
It completely exceeded all my expectations!!
God bless you AGD Interactive!!

Jackhomer
Knight Status

#66 Post by Jackhomer » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:36 pm

Wow, this is great to see the game released after so many years of hard work. All fans really need to give a hearty thanks to the dev team. I only worked on the game for the better part of a year, but was entirely blown away by the AGDs and Erpy's talent, work ethic, and ability to manage such a large undertaking.

It truly is mind boggling how much work these folks put into the game. They are just great people to boot! :D For gods sake, go Buy Al Emmo and support the people keeping adventure games alive and kicking.

Peasant Status

#67 Post by avatar_58 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:27 pm

So far I'm really liking it. As an oldschool sierra fan I have gripes and whatnot, but for free how can one argue? It's amazing the amount of work that went into it.

In fact I feel obligated to buy Al Emmo. You guys deserve at least some money for this project. I wasn't particularly impressed by the demo when I played it way back when, but I don't care. I just feel like supporting this effort. :rollin

LoriAnnCole
Peasant Status

#68 Post by LoriAnnCole » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:44 am

Hi all. Corey and I wrote about your game on our www.transolar.com main page and on our upcoming "School for Heroes" blog site. http://www.theschoolforheroes.com/wordpress/

I've seen announcements on various other websites, and I'll do what I can to promote the game. Great work all.

-- Lori

redwytch
Peasant Status

#69 Post by redwytch » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:59 am

OMG I dropped by to check how progress with QG2 was going and it was all ready to download. I'm so excited I could P myself lol. THANKYOU GUYS SOOOO MUCH!!!! :D :D :D :D :D You are MY HEROES!!!!! :lol

Argelus
Peasant Status

#70 Post by Argelus » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:25 am

Oh do we have something really special here! Day is Dawning on Day 3 and I am really really enjoying the new Quest for Glory II!

The AGD'ers have done something truly remarkable. The attention to detail and care in which you have recreated the game is amazing - and it is heaps of fun too!

Some of my top five things so far are:

1. Defeating my first Brigand. What a fight that was!

2. Seeing the streets of Shapeir as I always imagined they looked.

3. Being able to walk into the fighting area at the Guild Hall and learning to fight with Uhura.

4. Watching the stars come out at the end of the first day of play.

5. Seeing the gate guard being relieved from duty at the end of a long day on the gate. Such attention to detail. Shapeir seems like a living, breathing place.

I am enjoying the game so much. Thankyou! P.S. Hi Lori and Corey! Your games are just magical and something we all treasure.

Xyloc
Peasant Status

#71 Post by Xyloc » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:05 pm

Thanks AGD!

The good:

The alleys are great with such an eye for detail I might even find my way in the old alley-system without a map by remembering all the different doors, plants and garbage.
The look has been vastly improved and the feel has stayed the same (that's a positive thing!)
The backgrounds are stunning, period.
I just love the parser/ click hybrid.
The subtle wind sound during the day in the desert is hardly noticeable, but still manages to give you the feeling that you are actually there. Great job there!
--
Improvement points:

Personally I'm not such an arcade-style player so even with my fully beefed up (all skills 100) character from QFG I combined with the co-pilot I can barely defeat a brigand after a day of hard training at the Guild Hall. While I think that it is a great achievement, I don't like the battle system as it's too complicated for me for an RPG Adventure. This way I won't be able to buy the spells I need and the pills that recharge mana before the first elemental.

Phyber
Peasant Status

#72 Post by Phyber » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:58 pm

Xyloc wrote:Thanks AGD!
Improvement points:

Personally I'm not such an arcade-style player so even with my fully beefed up (all skills 100) character from QFG I combined with the co-pilot I can barely defeat a brigand after a day of hard training at the Guild Hall. While I think that it is a great achievement, I don't like the battle system as it's too complicated for me for an RPG Adventure. This way I won't be able to buy the spells I need and the pills that recharge mana before the first elemental.
Yes i agree that the battle system seems a tad complicated although it definitely is a great achievement on how it is actually scripted in AGS. Must have been lots of work. Maybe an additional option can be added to select Arcade Level:
Highest Setting = Current Combat system
Medium Setting = QFG1 battle system
Lowest Setting = Automatic win. (lolz)

Oh and erm Xyloc, with regards to your signature on "The Butterfly Dream", its written by Zhuangzi, not Lao Tze.

andre99
Peasant Status

#73 Post by andre99 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:09 pm

Thanks and congratulations to AGDI for releasing this amazing remake!

Prio
Knight Status

#74 Post by Prio » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:27 pm

You can already set the "difficulty" slider to low if you must. But the higher that slider goes, the more satisfying your eventual triumphs will be.
I am thinking of posting a combat guide thingy at some point, but I don't know how enthusiastically my tasty AGDI overlords would feel about that.

2dgamers
Peasant Status

#75 Post by 2dgamers » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:22 am

Chris, thank you so much! I've been looking forward to this remake since the very beginning. I too, love the series after buying the anthology collection many years ago. I feel now the full series is COMPLETE!

My sincerest congratulations goes to you especially because you dreamed it, worked it for 8 long years, and finished it!

I look up to you as a role model. (Someone I wish to be like some day.) You are a true inspiration to all of us!

Never stop dreaming Chris...