Absolutely cannot win arm wrestling!

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

rjsaid
Peasant Status

Absolutely cannot win arm wrestling!

#1 Post by rjsaid » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:59 am

Wow, and I thought the new tightrope sequence at the end was tough...

Now I'm playing through as a fighter, and I can't progress because I can't get the bellows! What is the trick to beating Issur? I've got 135 strength, but nothing I do seems to work.

Are you supposed to hold the buttons? Or rapidly press them? it's not really clear. Holding back and attempting slams don't seem to do anything for me. There must be some trick.

ulmont
Royal Servant Status

Re: Absolutely cannot win arm wrestling!

#2 Post by ulmont » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:03 am

rjsaid wrote:Are you supposed to hold the buttons? Or rapidly press them? it's not really clear. Holding back and attempting slams don't seem to do anything for me. There must be some trick.
Just hold back until you lose or you win.

JohnWWells
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by JohnWWells » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:04 am

I found that holding back and applying lots of pressure for a long time, without attempting a slam, did the trick. Eventually, he gets tired. Alternatively, you might want to improve your strength or decrease the game skill level.

They Call Me Brutus
Peasant Status

#4 Post by They Call Me Brutus » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:05 am

In the original game I was able to weaken Issur even at 120 strength simply by applying pressure (with my thief!). It doesn't seem to work in this game, but I am using a new character.

rjsaid
Peasant Status

#5 Post by rjsaid » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:34 am

Still nothing. My strength is at 140. Holding left makes the match go on longer until I get the "Your staying power diminished..." message. I have 113 stamina pts.

Really really frustrating. It's not like I haven't been training 2-3 times a day either. Even fighting a pack of jackalmen, I'll be lucky if my STR goes up by a single point afterwards.

ulmont
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by ulmont » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:00 am

rjsaid wrote:Really really frustrating. It's not like I haven't been training 2-3 times a day either. Even fighting a pack of jackalmen, I'll be lucky if my STR goes up by a single point afterwards.
Throw a lot of rocks.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#7 Post by Erpy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:14 am

Make sure your strength is between 140 and 150 and your stamina is as high as possible. Both play an important role in winning.

strangemilk
Peasant Status

#8 Post by strangemilk » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:59 am

I have to admit that arm wrestling was always a sinch in the original and is an absolute frustration in this version. I've ended up just stealing the bellows.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#9 Post by DrJones » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:20 am

I don't have a clue about how this mini-game works. Why would I want to apply less pressure? Does my pressure resets if I hold back? What do the bars at the top represent, and why there doesn't seem to be correlation between them and my actions? Can you go only for one big slam? :(

Why is there a trapdoor under the anvil? :lol

gutsman
Peasant Status

#10 Post by gutsman » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:27 pm

I kind of wish there was more of a 'game' to it. All I did was hold the right arrow key down until Issur weakened and I auto-slammed him.

papste
Royal Servant Status

#11 Post by papste » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:48 pm

I had a problem as well with beating Issur the first time i played the game. Although my strength was very high it was impossible to beat him. Then i realized my stamina was low and used a vigor pill which solved the problem and i was able to beat him without any effort.

skace
Peasant Status

#12 Post by skace » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:58 pm

It appears like your stamina constantly leaks throughout the arm wrestling competition and "Your staying power diminished..." means you ran out of stamina. I think the red bar on the left is yours and the red bar on the right is his and I'm assuming if you got it full you'd be able to slam. That's the best I can guess because I haven't been able to win. I don't know why you'd want to purposefully apply less pressure though. I'd love to hear from someone who has figured out all the elements to this.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#13 Post by Erpy » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:00 pm

Actually, it's the pressure bar. As the game goes on, the pressure keeps going up and Issur tries to do a slam as often as he can. You're right, there's no sane reason to lower pressure since Issur won't do so either.