Silver Dagger and combat

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Jack Sawyer
Royal Servant Status

Silver Dagger and combat

#1 Post by Jack Sawyer » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:02 am

As I recall, its been mentioned that you can "use" the silver dagger in battle. Does the game automatically use that instead of your regular daggers if its in your inventory, or do you have to take the other daggers out first?

Also, I was fiddling aroudn with a thief and fighting Uhura.. the dual dagger thing was neat at the end. But that leads me to the question.. wouldnt the thief be using dual daggers in combat if he can do that (slashing/stabbing with both?)

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

Re: Silver Dagger and combat

#2 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:07 am

I imagined it was him using them in a classic duelist style, blocking with an inverted left handed dagger and swinging with the one you see in his right but this leads to how he can spin/fight with two if there's only one in the inventory. Maybe its dependent but I wasn't watching very closely. As for the silver dagger I have no idea as I sold it right away but I'll check next time around. If hes usingthe silver one you migh be able to drop the regular dagger and not get the (This is your last Dagger) message.

Jack Sawyer
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by Jack Sawyer » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:41 am

Well he does throw with the other hand, maybe that's the point. He blocks (I think) with the same hand he attacks with.

Mind you I'm not complaining they should - for all I know that would have been a bigger programming nightmare, and the combat system as is is crazy enough.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#4 Post by Erpy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:42 am

You automatically use the silver dagger to fight if you have it. And dual-weapons fighting would have been too much of a pain. Heck, multi-blocking in a multi-enemy battle was already a dog to implement. Besides, he's a thief, not some sort of ninja turtle.

Colchek
Peasant Status

#5 Post by Colchek » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:18 pm

Does the silver dagger provide an advantage? If so, I'll likely keep it next time. Darn my greediness. :)

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#6 Post by Erpy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:22 pm

Yeah, it does more damage than an ordinary dagger if you fight with it in combat.

Goilveig
Knight Status

#7 Post by Goilveig » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:58 pm

Does the silver dagger follow you into QFG3? Because I thought it was ornamental and sold it >< I don't really want to go back and re-level all those stats again (curse you AGS for adding checksum verification of save games, curse you).

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#8 Post by Erpy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:57 pm

It IS ornamental, but it's also a handy weapon. And no, it does not follow you into QFG3.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#9 Post by Brainiac » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:26 pm

Erpy wrote:You automatically use the silver dagger to fight if you have it. And dual-weapons fighting would have been too much of a pain. Heck, multi-blocking in a multi-enemy battle was already a dog to implement. Besides, he's a thief, not some sort of ninja turtle.
If he were some sort of ninja turtle, he would have had no problems defeating a Pizza Elemental, I'm sure. :lol
Erpy wrote:It IS ornamental, but it's also a handy weapon. And no, it does not follow you into QFG3.
Well, you can imagine it does. QfG3 gives you a fine dagger only good for direct combat along with whatever regular throwing daggers you end the game with, as I recall. I forget if it replaces one of your regular daggers or just adds an extra one on, though.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#10 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:19 am

Of course, if you toss your Silver Dagger at Ad Avis and lose it, then the fine dagger in QFG3 cannot be it. (Hmmm... did we break canon there?)

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#11 Post by Brainiac » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:31 am

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:Of course, if you toss your Silver Dagger at Ad Avis and lose it, then the fine dagger in QFG3 cannot be it. (Hmmm... did we break canon there?)
Not necessarily. There are three months between the end of QfG2 and the Shapeir prologue of QfG3. Maybe the Prince (or someone else) retrieved it for him when they were searching for Ad Avis's body?

Honestly though, it's not canon anyway - a Wizard will begin with the same Fine Dagger in QfG3. Also, the Thief intro even includes the line "You threw your last dagger at Ad Avis, and he fell to his doom."

Jack Sawyer
Royal Servant Status

#12 Post by Jack Sawyer » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:47 am

Well you don't start with the 1000 dinar reward either, so one assumes alot happens in between the end of 2 and the start of 3.

A good explanation may be that since the only way to get it is to steal, and the dagger is pulled from a hidden location, it would basically be a very... notable item. Something that would be easily identified and mark a person as having stolen it. Once you become Prince of Shapeir, you're alot more high profile, and keeping such an item around would be.. inconvenient. Maybe you sell it, or throw it away, or whatever..

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#13 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:34 am

it's in Ad Avis' brain. End of story. The hero spends his 1000 on another fine dagger and lots of peyote and prostitutes before Rakeesh and Aziza decide its Tarna time. Atleast that's what I like the thief ending to be.

CGG
Royal Servant Status

#14 Post by CGG » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:32 pm

Jack Sawyer wrote:Well you don't start with the 1000 dinar reward either, so one assumes alot happens in between the end of 2 and the start of 3.
That always bothered me! I understand only taking 200 dinars to Tarna - I don't want to carry around the full 1,000. But why doesn't the sultan send the remaining 800 to Silmaria for the entry fee? Cheap arase Sultan!