Combat Techniques? *POSSIBLE SPOILERS?*

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

MagusRogue
Peasant Status

Combat Techniques? *POSSIBLE SPOILERS?*

#1 Post by MagusRogue » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:30 pm

Ok, I've been training with Uhura alot, and got my Weapon Skill up to bout 160 so far. I've noticed when Rakeesh is in the room, when you beat uhura, he occasionally tells you new skills, stuff I couldn't do till he told me (or so I thought). Do you learn new attacks and stuff as you train? And if so, what's the criteria for learning them?

Oh and I can't seem to kick jackalmen at all. They'd get to my sides, and I'd spam 5, and the hero would just get pelted. Do I need a Weapon/Parry/Dodge rating to learn Kick from rakeesh?

And I put spoiler tag in, just in case this might be spoilers or sumthin.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: Combat Techniques? *POSSIBLE SPOILERS?*

#2 Post by Erpy » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:57 pm

Each skill you get is granted to you by the game based on certain stats. Note that even though Rakeesh (and Uhura sometimes) point them out (and Rakeesh keeps track of them in his combat room dialog tree), it's not their remarks that trigger the availability of battle techniques...it's your stats. The exact requirements differ between classes. The sidekick that makes jack packs a lot easier is gained by having your agility at some point above 100. For one class, it's agility 105, for another agility 110. Ditto with the plung/inverse swing...for that one it's weapon use at some point slightly above 100.

For physical non-weapon based moves, agility is the key stat.
For offensive weapon techniques, weapon use is the stat that matters.
For defensive weapon techniques, it's either parry or dodge. (depending on what technique)

MagusRogue
Peasant Status

#3 Post by MagusRogue » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:33 am

Cool!

Has anyone found some real neat combat moves? All I've learned so far (that I can do and Rakeesh has backlogged) is kick, counter swing, leaping slash, and inverse swing. Waiting to see when/how to do fun stuff like triple swing. also, anyone got any good defensive techniques learned?

note btw im a fighter.

CGG
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by CGG » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:36 am

Also strength seems key to several of the higher level ones. I had a strength of 196 in the cave towards the end of the game, and i wished the djinn for strength - it gave me at least two new skills . . . of course i didn't really get a chance to practice with them.

MagusRogue
Peasant Status

#5 Post by MagusRogue » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:44 am

Is there a place where i can see what skills I've learned?

adeyke

#6 Post by adeyke » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:53 am

If you enter the guild's training room while Rakeesh is in the hall, talking to him will tell you what techniques you know.

MagusRogue
Peasant Status

#7 Post by MagusRogue » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:15 am

thought Rakeesh only mentions stuff he's already told you. I've got Triple Swing (found that out on my own), as well as kick, and it's not under his list of techniques.

adeyke

#8 Post by adeyke » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:44 am

In that case, challenging Uhura should let him notice your increased stats and he'll tell you what techniques you've learned since last time.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#9 Post by Erpy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:09 am

Also, you can use the parser to ask Rakeesh about "technique" or "sword technique" and he'll mention them. Since each move has a name, you can put those into the parser to learn how to do them. This works, even if you speak to Rakeesh while he is not in the training room. The backflip and sidekick are not in Rakeesh' techniques tree, since they're not really techniques and besides, you don't need to do how to execute a kick...there's a specific button for it.

I could list all moves, but maybe I should just wait until people figure them out themselves.

ElDoDo
Peasant Status

#10 Post by ElDoDo » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:43 pm

Seriously, this combat system rocks: challenging, rewarding and fun! And it sure is reminiscent of PoP, only much more complex and interesting. Ghouls are a p.i.t.a., though :x

I'm at Day 7, and I've got six different techniques so far (seven if you count both counters): Inverse Swing/Overhead Slash (2x and 3x slash), Rising Slash, Counter Slash, Leaping Lunge and Skull-Splitter.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#11 Post by Erpy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:48 pm

That's all the sword techniques you can get for now, though I assume, if your stats are that high, you also learned the sidekick. If your agility is REALLY high, you'll get a move that's usually for the thief and near the end of the game, you can get 2 out of 3 additional sword techniques.

Sanchez
Peasant Status

#12 Post by Sanchez » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:15 pm

When does the "Special Attack" for the fighter become available? I just want to know so I can stop mashing E in every fight with the misguided hope that something exciting will happen.

Also, I'm loving the new combat system. Timing all of the moves properly was kind of a pain in the ass at first, but I dig it now that I'm used to it. Stomping and slashing up a pack of Jackal Men is like something out of an action movie... A very low frame rate, low res action movie. ;)

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#13 Post by Erpy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:36 pm

There are several occasions to use the special action key:

- After learning the skullsplitter technique, pressing E instead of down as a low attack is launched will perform said technique.
- During the EOF battle, pressing E while parrying a horizontal swing from Walid initiates a blade lock.
- The techniques you can learn near the end of the game are all executed by pressing E under certain circumstances.
- After learning the backflip, pressing E immediately after being knocked back causes you to flip and land on your feet. Alternatively, the down arrow can be used for this as well.

It's kind of a misc. key for the fighter.

Sanchez
Peasant Status

#14 Post by Sanchez » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:59 pm

Ahhhh. Excellent. Thanks for the tips.